You Learn Something New Every Day.....

Buster, I blame a lot of todays hares habits on the upsurge in the buzzard population.

Like you say, they live in woods and ditches and those that sit in the open often sit very, very tight.

There's nothing I wouldn't believe of what a hares capable of.

They're a highly adaptable creature that deserve nothing but the very highest respect.

the rise in the buzzard population has had an effect on the hares here, being mainly pasture, leverets are an easy target, i once witnessed a buzzard attack a pair of hares in the corner of a field. coming in low over the hedge, it got a good kicking for its trouble but it didn't fly off after its kicking it just stood there at a distance for a minute or so,, maybe it thought they were rabbits but had either of them been very young or very old the outcome would have been different.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny that,,,it was always my belief that they use the same seat regular,,I have put hares out of the exact same seat many times....and always assumed it was the same hare,,,as the useless dogs I owne

Hares. Fascinating little beauties ain't they?   If anyone has seen my books then they'll realise I spend ALOT of time watching them and, I am very lucky to have witnessed some amazing behaviour, st

We call them jump seats round here,,,,,,,when they jump,,,,,you slip your pilot dog..........

Posted Images

Buster, I blame a lot of todays hares habits on the upsurge in the buzzard population.

Like you say, they live in woods and ditches and those that sit in the open often sit very, very tight.

They're a highly adaptable creature that deserve nothing but the very highest respect.

Respect indeed Neil, People have been breeding dogs for hunting for a 1,000 years and we still have to run dogs 4 or 5 times larger than a Hare to give it half a chance of catching one & even then most have to pick ground that suites the dog, cant beat mother nature lol.

• Like 2

Respect indeed Neil, People have been breeding dogs for hunting for a 1,000 years and we still have to run dogs 4 or 5 times larger than a Hare to give it half a chance of catching one & even then most have to pick ground that suites the dog, cant beat mother nature lol.

That's true Buster.

You get the best blood that you can, you then put the best of rearing into that pup, then you put the best grub you can afford into that pup, then when it's old enough you put miles into walking it fit, you make sure it hasn't got as much as a flea on it's back and then you bring it out to kill a hare.

AND THEN, in my opinion, if you're a coursing man, that you are lucky enough to get a hare you're then sorry that you killed such a magnificent creature.

Love them.

• Like 4

the rise in the buzzard population has had an effect on the hares here, being mainly pasture, leverets are an easy target, i once witnessed a buzzard attack a pair of hares in the corner of a field. coming in low over the hedge, it got a good kicking for its trouble but it didn't fly off after its kicking it just stood there at a distance for a minute or so,, maybe it thought they were rabbits but had either of them been very young or very old the outcome would have been different.

Paulus , I'm only writing this because you boys banned Baw, LOL, but the buzzard IMO here in Ireland is the reason that the hare is in trouble.

The Coursing Clubs, Lurcher men and the fox all get blamed but I can only say what I see with my own two eyes and I watch hares seven days a week.

now slip the dog

Paulus , I'm only writing this because you boys banned Baw, LOL, but the buzzard IMO here in Ireland is the reason that the hare is in trouble.

The Coursing Clubs, Lurcher men and the fox all get blamed but I can only say what I see with my own two eyes and I watch hares seven days a week.

baws not banned he has just been reinvented :D

What you on about mid shag what I said was when hare's have paired up its mostly the buck that will rise FIRST taking the course away from the doe.

Thats in my exspiriance not reading out of books or spending hours on here but years in the fields with dogs capable of catching there quarry.

No way match dogs but I've never bin into numbers, and on more than 1 occasion I've been cheering the hare on after

I don't think hares think like that....they don't think:

"Oh no, here's a predator, I will 'lead' it away from the female'.....they do not have that level of understanding and thinking.

And how do you know it's always bucks that rise first...?

And again, that's in my experience.....

WELL

What you on about mid shag what I said was when hare's have paired up its mostly the buck that will rise FIRST taking the course away from the doe.

Thats in my exspiriance not reading out of books or spending hours on here but years in the fields with dogs capable of catching there quarry.

No way match dogs but I've never bin into numbers, and on more than 1 occasion I've been cheering the hare on after

I don't think hares think like that....they don't think:

"Oh no, here's a predator, I will 'lead' it away from the female'.....they do not have that level of understanding and thinking.

And how do you know it's always bucks that rise first...?

And again, that's in my experience.....

WELL

Well what?