Been a good thread this but IMO there's a massive difference between "open stud " and "helping a lad out with a lining".

If I had a dog good enough to breed from I would go as far as to line a very close mates bitch providing he was breeding for himself and the spares were culled.

If you put a dog at open stud your eventually gonna get a bad name for that dog, because it's always the dog with a good name that people can't wait to slate when it's offspring don't make the grade.

Good breeding is a massive bonus but in the hands of dickheads the best bred terriers will often amount to nothing, that's why your better off breeding amongst your selfs because your the only one that they have to please.

• Like 5

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post on another forum on filial degeneration...   One of the historical breeders who has always been of particular interest to me was D.A McClintock of Oklahoma. As far as I have been able to ascert

There is another way and it's a lot less hassle.If your dog has served you well why not go to the person that bred it and ask if he has any pups due in the near future ?, that way your hopefully going

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

What do guys make of this puppy Peddler?

Wedgy some of the foundation bitches for the white line in Cork were bought directly from Bert Gripton. Is this the sort of thing that's ruined working terriers?

I don't think it is.

post-2854-0-98487700-1398436258.jpg

• Like 1

Wedgy some of the foundation bitches for the white line in Cork were bought directly from Bert Gripton. Is this the sort of thing that's ruined working terriers?

I don't think it is.

attachicon.gifadgriptonadvert1958.JPG

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed and clothed the family. breeding and selling QUALITY pups is not shamefull. its something to be proud of. as long as it goes hand in hand with honesty . totally different from the lyeing cheats that flog sh1te as good stock

• Like 8

I don't think it is.

often terrier lads live hand to mouth. and they had to make a pound in whatever way possible. whippet lads around me as a lad used to sell pups to get there beer money. as the pittence they earned fed and clothed the family. breeding and selling QUALITY pups is not shamefull. its something to be proud of. as long as it goes hand in hand with honesty . totally different from the lyeing cheats that flog sh1te as good stock
I remember my father selling two terrier pups for £20 each and my mum claimed the money to buy my brother and me some boots to go to school lol. Different times eh !
  • Like 1

Good Post ...Yes this whole use a dog to improve the bitches pups is bollocks, if the bitch isn't as good as the dog why breed from her !!

. What a silly post Glynn. Complete and utter bollox!

Good working bitch= possible good brood bitch, what you look to line her with is a top class stud

Top class open stud = Prepotent sire who passes on his working traits and stamps his type on his progeny...should be used to increase the quality of the breed as a whole....you cant breed of them when there dead.

If Bert was able to work terriers 6 days a week and keep 25 terriers, he had the life of riley, and fair play to him. Once the dogs he sold done what it said on the tin.

• Like 1

What do guys make of this puppy Peddler?Wedgy some of the foundation bitches for the white line in Cork were bought directly from Bert Gripton. Is this the sort of thing that's ruined working terriers?I don't think it is. attachicon.gifadgriptonadvert1958.JPG

we can go on and on about peddlers Bryan you know Bert didn't make a name for himself by selling shit! Cleanspade good post,,
  • Like 1

I don't think it is.

20 brood bitches.. doesnt that mean untouched
Some of the old timers, pre locator days thought nothing about dropping 2 some times 3 dogs in the dig,
  • Like 1

What do guys make of this puppy Peddler?Wedgy some of the foundation bitches for the white line in Cork were bought directly from Bert Gripton. Is this the sort of thing that's ruined working terriers?I don't think it is. attachicon.gifadgriptonadvert1958.JPG

we can go on and on about peddlers Bryan you know Bert didn't make a name for himself by selling shit! Cleanspade good post,,

I think that Bryan, in fairness, made the comment tongue in cheek and would hold similiar views to you.

• Like 4

I'd feed anything that works. White dog or Fell , no big names attached to them. B

And if everything was stripped right back, the lies, bullshit and pretense that go hand in hand with the working terrier game, thats simply what we all should do anyway!

:thumbs: