Kelpie Crosses

Having recently recently purchased a kelpie pup & going through the usual trials & tribulations of puppyhood, I've realised what a good dog they would be to use. I remember Phil Lloyd using one in the 80"s , wondering how it all went & does anyone run this type of dog now. They have intelligence in abundance, energy to burn & a coat which is almost impenetrable., he's certainly the smartest dog I've ever owned. I understand that the prey drive is very high too

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love that style of hunting/mouching,...   Obviously,..such wee curs and mongrel types are not going to fill a van with a hundred conies,. or a pile of hares,..and if I was still keen to travel,..

Tough dogs those Aussie dogs! This Pic I saw recently, and thought I would share

F,J you was not alone a guy local to me had one from a pup but it never made anything, also When I used to help out at the shows, I spoke to a guy at ponta pike in county duruham he had one and said t

Posted Images

Lloydys dog wasn't a kelpie cross,,,it's was a healer cattle dog cross.

I've had a dog with kelpie in,,, it was just a 1/4 kelpie,,,,a great dog in many ways,,,but in the end it's constant fighting saw it's demise

• Like 1

have one here,great dog for just about anything you could think of,a bit strange around other dogs but no really aggressive unless pushed to it.I use her for retrieving out shooting,ferreting shes very good,lamped her one the rare occasion and she did ok but i havent done enough to say anymore on that.I use her for the goat shooting and she tracks and finds mobs of goats like a pro.If ever I retire from the hunting scene ,it'll be the 1dog I will seek out and have,nothing is impossible for them.Any chance you stick a few photos up?

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 1

Lloydys dog wasn't a kelpie cross,,,it's was a healer cattle dog cross.

I've had a dog with kelpie in,,, it was just a 1/4 kelpie,,,,a great dog in many ways,,,but in the end it's constant fighting saw it's demise

you got it no more Tomo ?

• 2 weeks later...

Until recently I worked three pure kelpies. However, I now only have two as my ten year old bitch was put down due to her temperament. She was the most one-man-dog I've ever known and never accepted my young son so they were kept permanently apart. Unfortunately, her fate was sealed last summer when the red mist descended as somebody tried to stroke her in my local wood.

I hasten to add that my six year old bitch is extremely friendly and the fourteen year old male in my avatar is paricularly easy going. I've also ordered a replacement for the old fella from a litter which is due fairly soon.

• Like 1

Until recently I worked three pure kelpies. However, I now only have two as my ten year old bitch was put down due to her temperament. She was the most one-man-dog I've ever known and never accepted my young son so they were kept permanently apart. Unfortunately, her fate was sealed last summer when the red mist descended as somebody tried to stroke her in my local wood.

I hasten to add that my six year old bitch is extremely friendly and the fourteen year old male in my avatar is paricularly easy going. I've also ordered a replacement for the old fella from a litter which is due fairly soon.

Goodonya Neal... :clapper:

I love the 'herding types',..either purebred, or as lurcher hybrids...

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 1

I would agree with you there my Lloyd definitely robust, If ever a dog could of lived and worked forever shes the one.1cd85163-3b32-4733-936c-b7d6ffb94604_zps The kelpie cross has a nice way about it though just like the acd love to be with there owner2013-09-21160049_zps5ce60a60.jpg

was there collie as well as kelpie in this bitch mate

She got to 10 yr old and you could not read her..

i have never owned a kelpie but i have had alot to do with working kelpies owned by my uncles for sheep and also just as 'farmdogs' the fact my uncles fed these 'farmdogs' proves to me how useful they are. i have never seen more eager to please, intelligent dogs in my life, let alone the endurance and durability. sometimes it seemed they could not be hurt and EXTREME heat was barely acknowledged. i truly respect the working kelpie and one day will own one and try breed a good one to create a lurcher. ATB Taff in oz and anyone else with a working kelpie.