Well Tested Dogs..?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive got two very well tested dogs ..both over 5 seasons one mostly one long ears but had the odd thingy here and there and my munchy hes took near enough everthing there is to take back in the day.

i dont have a well tested dog , just a good honest worker who tries his best everytime he is out

here are mate  

Posted Images

Ye socks that's the make up of gaffer the dark brindle one the white one on the pick is his dad snipes brother

Ah right so snipe is the dogs uncle and the dogs father was a brother to snipe ... What did he go over to produce gaffer ?

The breeding of workers....

Do you do, or do you don't..?

When is time, time is when..?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Here's my take on breeding from tried and tested.... Get it done, as soon as your dog has had at least 3 good seasons and is at least 4 years old.

Dog, find a bitch. Bitch find a dog..!

Few good dogs make old bones, few plans pan out the way you want 'em.

Best dog I've ever seen, I lost at near 8 years old, I never bred from him. I had his half sister/cousin there to be put to him for three years, same blood, tight as I could ever get BUT I was always pushing for more...

She needs to do more (what she was doing was more than enough and because of how good he was I pushed her harder!).

I've got all his life to breed out of him (but I was pushing for more, testing when it didn't need testing, he still did it, and I couldn't see the light!).

And then the massive wake up call, dog dead and 6 years of planning down the pan.... I've had horrible accidents before but that was the biggest mistake I've ever made with dogs...

When your on a roll, when your dogs are doing everything right and making you feel you can take on the world... Watch out, its usually a fragile high.

Oh yer, whatever expectations of them pups, however long it took to get 'em... If they don't make it, FFS, be honest about it...!!

;)

Very good post bosun11 more less had a similar conversation the other day,

About leaving a dog or bitch to prove themselves then losing them.

Lost a good terrier the end of last season on his last dig before I was going to retire and get a pup out of him .....hard game at times

Spot on bosun not many real good do or die dogs make old bones ... It's just a sad fact that when they throw themselves at everything the odds are stacked against them ... Some get away with it and some don't as Jim's dogs will testify ... The youngster I have here now is a just this type of dog ... Very little she is on gets away ... Small fields ...big fields ...woods ...wet conditions ... Dry conditions whatever ... she is 150% focused on her prey ... As I work the dog everyday on all different terrains and jobs I feel that by next year she will have been tested enough for me to breed out of ... She will be just under three but as I said after working seven days a week most days by then she will be properly tested and I hope she will live a full and happy life but just incase the worst happens I want a pup out of her ..........

The breeding of workers....

Do you do, or do you don't..?

When is time, time is when..?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Here's my take on breeding from tried and tested.... Get it done, as soon as your dog has had at least 3 good seasons and is at least 4 years old.

Dog, find a bitch. Bitch find a dog..!

Few good dogs make old bones, few plans pan out the way you want 'em.

Sensible comments Bosun... :yes:

Whilst it is plainly stupid, to breed from a lurcher/terrier that has not satisfied your needs,...I personaly believe that if you know your dogs,.and know your game,..it is favourite to take the plunge and breed from an animal that your rate,..ASAP...

I've not had any world beaters,..and I only hunt a few rabbits,.but I have often fancied using a certain dog in the past,..and simply by leaving things too late, I have missed out, big time,.and unfortunately with our unique crossbreeds,..it often takes years to find a comparable specimen...

As in most things lurcherwise,.there are many variables,..and what one man might look for and cherish in a dog,.might be of no use to his fellow enthusiast...

For myself,..I don't need sheer pace and power,...or the ability to fill a van to the gunnels,..I just require a savy wee ferreting aid,..so perhaps my needs are not so great, however, when you find the type you like to have around a warren,..there is no point in waiting for the Grim Reaper to call,...cos that grey fecker is always waiting.

He likes to feck you up, and has stalked me, all my days,..and has no mercy.. :no:

"Go with your heart",...and when you feel confident in your canine pal,..then is the right time :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7

How many questions are in this test for these dogs? Got one here, bitch, gone 6 rising 7, shes ran me rabbits on hard ground, in soft ground, lamped well and pushed. She's never jacked yapped pulled up at a dyke or chose a run or indeed exhibited any of the flaws levelled at her type. Passed all those questions, so will I be breeding from her this good honest bitch? Will I bo**ocks! Can't stand her! She is as interesting as John Major, dullest mutt I've ever owned, properly does me nappa in! It ain't all about work eh , you still got to be able to live with them as well.

• Like 4

How many questions are in this test for these dogs? Got one here, bitch, gone 6 rising 7, shes ran me rabbits on hard ground, in soft ground, lamped well and pushed. She's never jacked yapped pulled up at a dyke or chose a run or indeed exhibited any of the flaws levelled at her type. Passed all those questions, so will I be breeding from her this good honest bitch? Will I bo**ocks! Can't stand her! She is as interesting as John Major, dullest mutt I've ever owned, properly does me nappa in! It ain't all about work eh , you still got to be able to live with them as well.

haha what a post

:laugh:

ive always believed in testing your dog at the game your at ,3 to 4 seasons then if you think your needing a replacement then breed of simliar proven stock,lost a few dogs and only maybe got one lining of them and while the pups were good , you could had tried a diffrent, lines im out all the time so the dogs have to come up with the goods in the feild or they go to pet homes ,to many just keep a dog for a pet or because of the current fashion ,the curent fashion is to say a dog has to just please me thats fine if he is doing the biz regulary on game ,day and nite its apity the lurcher has become a status symbol for some rather than a meat providor for the table etc

• Like 1

Lol had one just like that,run and run night after night,Her first run of the night was as dull as the last.

hi Mik, sorry to hear that bout tigger. Yeh I have seen pups out of him graft down my way they have always held a good account of themselves even at a young age,very game,strong minded,fast & naturals at there intended quarry. Get some pics up of the pup [BANNED TEXT]?

• Like 1