Crap Trainers Or Perfectionists .......

We all know people who go through dogs like baw and the brick go through user names ... There are plenty of them on here ... So is it down to their lack of abilities as a trainer that they can't get the best out of a dog or is it that their standards are very high and if a dog doesn't make the grade then it doesn't stay ??? ... I don't know whether I am a half decent trainer or I have very low standards lol but I have been fortunate over the years that I haven't had to move dogs on apart from injuries that stopped them working .........

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But it's not just about obedience, but also ability. A man can only do so much, in the end the dog has to do his part too. And some don't make the grade, pure and simple. You can train them to do any

In my opinion,...it is all down to what quarry you are after...     These debates could go on and on,.ad-infinitum,...and it is surely possible within such a unique hunting man's website, to sepera

I wonder how it would work the other way around i.e if the dogs got to decide if the owners "made the grade", im sure one of mine would have me in the yellow paper next week! Lol

We all know people who go through dogs like baw and the brick go through user names ... There are plenty of them on here ... So is it down to their lack of abilities as a trainer that they can't get the best out of a dog or is it that their standards are very high and if a dog doesn't make the grade then it doesn't stay ??? ... I don't know whether I am a half decent trainer or I have very low standards lol but I have been fortunate over the years that I haven't had to move dogs on apart from injuries that stopped them working .........

:laugh:

To me all dogs if you are honest with are selves have a weakness in one way or an other, and at times it can be that that starts to grates us thinking they must be better dogs out there. If the dog has a weakness most will say work on it and in time your dog should come good, but we all no that's not always true and again we start to fall out with the dog. I as said am not the best at training a dog to a high standed of obedience but i dont want a robotic dog but one that if on the other side of a hedge can work things out for it self. That being said you should always work your dog to its strength and the rest will be bearable...atb

• Like 5

But it's not just about obedience, but also ability. A man can only do so much, in the end the dog has to do his part too. And some don't make the grade, pure and simple.

You can train them to do anything, sit, stay, lie, retrieve fur/feather/land/water, they work the gun perfect, the long net, the ferret, but if they are bottleless and don't have the minerals to hunt what their owner wants them to hunt then there's nothing,nothing he can do about that.

The Higher the standards, the higher the wastage.

The hardest thing is being honest with yourself sometimes.

Even with the best dog man in the world, there comes a day when the dog is on his own and then the truth comes out....

• Like 17

But it's not just about obedience, but also ability. A man can only do so much, in the end the dog has to do his part too. And some don't make the grade, pure and simple.

You can train them to do anything, sit, stay, lie, retrieve fur/feather/land/water, they work the gun perfect, the long net, the ferret, but if they are bottleless and don't have the minerals to hunt what their owner wants them to hunt then there's nothing,nothing he can do about that.

Even with the best dog man in the world, there comes a day when the dog is on his own and then the truth comes out....

But that can also come down to the skill of the owner on how he enters the dog to each of its quarry ... If it's rushed then the most potential of dogs could be spoiled and if held back the full potential may never come to the forefront ... Obviously you get bad dogs as with all things in life but I was talking about guys that continually swap sell buy new dogs ... Every dog they have had can't be a bad dog surely ??? ..............

• Like 4

Well not everyone can be as good as you.Good hunting

• Like 1

Well not everyone can be as good as you.Good hunting

No that is very true .........

• Like 1

But that can also come down to the skill of the owner on how he enters the dog to each of its quarry ... If it's rushed then the most potential of dogs could be spoiled and if held back the full potential may never come to the forefront ... Obviously you get bad dogs as with all things in life but I was talking about guys that continually swap sell buy new dogs ... Every dog they have had can't be a bad dog surely ??? ..............

You sound like my old adversary Crow..... :laugh:

No matter how 'careful' you enter the dog, one day you aint there to hold his hand.

They also always seem to buy adult dogs, rather than fetch a pup on themselves......

No matter how 'careful' you enter the dog, one day you aint there to hold his hand.

I totally agree ... But don't you agree that the better entered dog will do better ? .......

I totally agree ... But don't you agree that the better entered dog will do better ? .......

Not necessarily.... :no: