Unusual Bushing Dog

IMGP0061_zps2a238522.jpg

I just thought i put this pic up of one of the most unusual cross's i,v had the pleasure to have worked with, and i mean pleasure, this little bitch did everything i asked of her and more, worked to hand signals, very easy to train, would work any cover, marked for the ferrets, good on the rats and even went to ground now and again [she was only small] dont get me wrong it wouldnt have been my choice for a working dog but it worked out very well, its a cocker cross poodle, unfortunatly she got killed while out working, i,d give my right arm to have her back, this is a genuine post, anyone else had good results out of a so called lap dog or an unusual breed/cross, atb, buster.

IMGP0058_zpsd7b7a4a8.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just thought i put this pic up of one of the most unusual cross's i,v had the pleasure to have worked with, and i mean pleasure, this little bitch did everything i asked of her and more, worked to h

Long gone old collie bitch.....amazing hunter....would bush all day  

Cracking little dog,we were out round Evesham one year,a fox was put out of a small wood too far for a slip,I watched it run down a cover/edge and then lost sight of it,so I knew it stayed in a small

Posted Images

This one buster. My mates dog now a old lad. Got from a dogs home as a pup took it ferreting from a young age cracking marking dog went through cover like a bulldozer good ratter retrieved shot pigeons. why he leaves the harness on when we go ferreting i dont know.i think its to wind me up and it works. :laugh: But a belting little dog in his time. :thumbs:

ferretingpics152_zpsf7edaae2.jpg

Handsome is as handsome does Darbo, he looks likes he's doing a job for you, i,v seen some purpose bread dogs that i wouldnt give kennel room, although i guess we,v both been lucky here, if i were to buy/breed a dog just for bushing i,d edge my bets and go for either cocker or beagle crossed with a terrier but i dont have that luxury, i do try and find a use for the mrs house dog though, i was asked many times what the dog i was working was by other dog men, most thought she was a beddy type, i was even asked to take her beating on a local shoot, i declined, not my scene mate, atb, buster.

the russell in the pic buster is also my mates dog a good ratter and he retrieves game etc but if im honest working cover marking etc the old mongrel is far the better dog a one off maybe but ive watched other mongrels over the years prove to be useful dogs for there owners. :thumbs:

I recently seen a dog i've heard much about over the years, a Labrador x Patterdale. Just about the meanest lookin thing i've seen on four legs in a long time. Big and solid, like a giant Wheeler type terrier but much longer in the back.

This dog has one hell of a reputation as a bushing dog and is hard as nails, pity is best years are now behind it.

IMGP0061_zps2a238522.jpg

I just thought i put this pic up of one of the most unusual cross's i,v had the pleasure to have worked with, and i mean pleasure, this little bitch did everything i asked of her and more, worked to hand signals, very easy to train, would work any cover, marked for the ferrets, good on the rats and even went to ground now and again [she was only small] dont get me wrong it wouldnt have been my choice for a working dog but it worked out very well, its a cocker cross poodle, unfortunatly she got killed while out working, i,d give my right arm to have her back, this is a genuine post, anyone else had good results out of a so called lap dog or an unusual breed/cross, atb, buster.

IMGP0058_zpsd7b7a4a8.jpg

I would have thought a cocker x standard poodle would be quite consistently half decent at bushing etc. If you ignore the faggoty hair cuts people give them poodles (with the exception of the toy poodle) are actually quite athletic, and are supposed to be one of the brightest dogs you can get. It was a funny looking thing though wasn't it....it's got an athletic body with the head of something you'd see on a TV commercial :laugh:

• Like 2

My old dog eddy was stolen a few years back never got him back.....would work rats to a decent standard and would bush as good if not better than most terriers I've been out with, retrieve rabbits live to hand went to ground on occasion ( he dint stay there long tho ?) and was an absolute cracker of a guard dog,miss him dearly eddy.jpg jack Russell x chihuahua

• Like 2

IMGP0061_zps2a238522.jpg

IMGP0058_zpsd7b7a4a8.jpg

I would have thought a cocker x standard poodle would be quite consistently half decent at bushing etc. If you ignore the faggoty hair cuts people give them poodles (with the exception of the toy poodle) are actually quite athletic, and are supposed to be one of the brightest dogs you can get. It was a funny looking thing though wasn't it....it's got an athletic body with the head of something you'd see on a TV commercial :laugh:

As you say Rob very athletic but a good brain in that head, the mrs has since bought another one, the same cross but its thrown very much to the mother, a working FTC cocker, i,ll bet my arse it not half the dog the one in the pic,s was, but i,ll put it to work and see, atb, buster.

• Like 1

been out with an auld boy with a shih tzu cross, its his pride and joy, it nails a lot rabbits within a few feet of the burrows when ferreting,funny to watch. he put it over a patterdale bitch for bushers, mad looking wee things,