Coursing Dogs / Saluki Dogs On Deer??

2 hours ago, jigsaw said:

You might remember this, a few years back... Pulled over a tree stump while trying to hold on hard and fast, thought he was a gonner that time

Screenshot_20200610_073416_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Not far off a goner tbh, a few inches here or then and it may have hit a squirter game over. 

I saw a video not long back on FB in where he lost his dog his dog in a cane field, a cane pieced the dog through the ribs straight in to the ticker. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think people need to remember if a man does his running from a motor his idea of a deer dog will be very different to someone that does it on foot

I used to have a coursing bred saluki x and by feck he could get you in trouble, he would spot them a mile away and they'd be dots on the horizon and if you didn't get to him he was gone. I remember o

We'll any you lad's haveing trouble with your Sal types breaking off hares or the dogs just becomeiong a pain in the arse for catching them reguarler! Just drop me a PM and ill take the shit off your

Posted Images

12 hours ago, fireman said:

The best small deer catching dog i ever saw was a merlin/eve line bred dog,sort of ok on a day time hare but it was a lamping dog really and i saw it take 64 cwd from 64 slips during one winter.It took hundreds of small deer up to roe and as a light framed dog as such it could handle the boggy ground the cwd lived on where  heavy dogs would/and did suffer ,those chinks would skim across it and what sport it used to be...:clapper:

would love to see a dog up one of there arses those deer are exotics to us up here never even saw one

3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

You might remember this, a few years back... Pulled over a tree stump while trying to hold on hard and fast, thought he was a gonner that time

Cor thatwas a nasty one. My smaller dog gets dragged all over the place and despite how agile he is he regularly makes mistakes. It's like he knows he's fast footed so takes chances. Constantly in and out of the vets and gets through staplers like they're going out of fashion. Most recent one nearly cost him his manhood ? 

11 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Did you get that pic turned into a Christmas card? 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Vicky Steadman said:

Not seen one either, are they roe sized? 

In body yes but of shorter leg and by far the yummiest meat from any deer imo.There not much sport to be honest for a half decent lurcher on arable land  but give them a chance and there grand sport indeed. Me and a pal used to  hunt them on flood marshland where half the field was under water or any arable land was soaked and to see them skim over the water and the dog plough in and loose ground then catch up to be turned on a sixpence,well you can keep old puss :laugh:and infact we'd leave them be on that ground as the chinks were far better running :victory:..

One thing i will say apart from they got really smelly feet :bad:is they have hair that breaks off to prevent predators from getting hold and iv'e seen a few dogs stood there and swimming in a dyke choking on it while the chink bounds away,also that same hair gets everywhere and if you were say not wanting to show what you had in your motor then for god's sake use a  sack.You have been warned :yes:..:laugh:

6 minutes ago, fireman said:

In body yes but of shorter leg and by far the yummiest meat from any deer imo.There not much sport to be honest for a half decent lurcher on arable land  but give them a chance and there grand sport indeed. Me and a pal used to  hunt them on flood marshland where half the field was under water or any arable land was soaked and to see them skim over the water and the dog plough in and loose ground then catch up to be turned on a sixpence,well you can keep old puss :laugh:and infact we'd leave them be on that ground as the chinks were far better running :victory:..

One thing i will say apart from they got really smelly feet :bad:is they have hair that breaks off to prevent predators from getting hold and iv'e seen a few dogs stood there and swimming in a dyke choking on it while the chink bounds away,also that same hair gets everywhere and if you were say not wanting to show what you had in your motor then for god's sake use a  sack.You have been warned :yes:..:laugh:

Agree with that, they give a much better account of themselves in spots like that with high rough grass & plenty of cover

Just now, Shadow100 said:

Agree with that, they give a much better account of themselves in spots like that with high rough grass & plenty of cover

We had a few folk come down and have a run out with us and iv'e heard a few say " that's dead" and they and the dog end up stood there wondering just what the feck happened then:doh:.Our land as such was flood marshland with dykes that we as humans couldn't jump over with reed beds with a few wet arable fields.:victory:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Flacko said:

Red & white pied pic was yesterday  about 4.15 

He’s just saluki lurcher, only a young dog 14 months next week. Showed him a bit in February and he impressed so hopefully picks up where he left off. He’s clipped out atm usually rough coated

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 5