Where Are You In Your Hunting Desire?

when its gone its gone gone same with anything i`ve got some ground to prepare for a shed can i be arsed can i fook ---few year ago half 11 the ground would be done and the shed up .. my mates just rang---.now the thought of nipping out for a 3.99 carvary and a few beers sat outside the pub in the sun talking bollox how could i refuse :D:D

• Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been running dogs since i was 12 yr owd, all quarry, im 69 tomoz, still at it with my humble whippet LUV IT

in my 50's now mortgage free, decent job, enough permission for me and mine, kids nearly away (are they ever?), still loads of desire and hunger but how good would it be if i had the strength, fitness

Nearly the end lol...had a great innings at this old game,been lucky to have owned some handy dogs and one or two I'd like to think we're a tad better than that...holy shit I've put EVERYTHING in my l

i dont think ive ever grown tired of hunting or come to think of it anything to do with the countryside,i can think of nothing better than getting up having a quick cuppa and walking the dogs either through fields or the woods,and now the summers here i will be looking for nesting birds and at 45 still climb trees just to take a photo of the eggs and getting scratched to bits in brambles, its something that stays with you from your childhood and long may it continue :thumbs:

• Like 3

25+Years still as keen as ever,Managed to get out 3-4-5 days most weeks the last couple of seasons ferreting,Lamping whenever the weather was right,mooching inbetween.

Having some serious bad luck at the moment with dogs,but quitting isnt a option so just have to carry on.Hopefully the it happens in 3`s is right.

2 young kids but the dogs still take prioty as paulus said you just get better at getting the job done,but still love going up the hills for the day with nowhere to go and letting what happens happen.

Love being out walking but only if i have a dog,Would rather walk a bit of wasteland with a dog than the dales without one.

That last sentence is a brilliant one and so true, well done sir :thumbs:

It took me quite a while to figure out where i wanted to be in this hunting game of ours, i started out ferreting with a greyhound that hated ferrets, started taking the odd fox with a bull x with dubious recall, tryed my hand at terriers

And eventually came to the conclusion i was happiest back where i started with 1dog and 1 ferret taking everything and anything as we mooched across the countryside lol, i wouldnt call it a thirst but a need... I am a smallholder/prepper at heart and hunting is a part of this need to be partially off the grid... And unlike the rest of you oldies im still in my 20's :tongue2:

It took me quite a while to figure out where i wanted to be in this hunting game of ours, i started out ferreting with a greyhound that hated ferrets, started taking the odd fox with a bull x with dubious recall, tryed my hand at terriers

And eventually came to the conclusion i was happiest back where i started with 1dog and 1 ferret taking everything and anything as we mooched across the countryside lol, i wouldnt call it a thirst but a need... I am a smallholder/prepper at heart and hunting is a part of this need to be partially off the grid... And unlike the rest of you oldies im still in my 20's :tongue2:

20's I had you down as semi retired, honest lol

55 years young this year still got the same drive as 16 love to be out .hunted all my life ran most things in my time now just hunt rabbits day and night with the ban but i would not change a thing i have had and still have some good mates i have met through the runners i think it becomes a way of life and a good one at that i feel for the young lads in the game these days with the ban in the 70s 80s i went where and when i wanted did as i pleased as they say it was all mine after midnight :thumbs:

• Like 2

I think this is a good question. As a kid dad would take me out hunting, I think he was upset my brother had no interest at all and complained about being outside in the cold! and surprised when I on the other hand bloody loved being out with dad and the dog in any weather, shoving my face down rabbit holes. He taught me to spot pigeon outlines in the trees and rabbits/hares hiding in the grass, how to hold a rifle, bought me my first slingshot (Which I still have/love). I fell out of it as I grew up and did the normal teenage girl stuff/moved away, though I always loved going to long rural walks, and never blinked at gutting things. (Much to the delight of my uni housemates)

It was about three years ago the bug returned, the obsession with my slingshots. I'm 26 now and finishing off further study I realizing this time around I'm not made for urban life at all. I live in Bournemouth city centre and it drives me nuts! I'm lucky that mum and dad are still in the Forest of Dean in their retirement years now so I often return home and recently have access to a large farm owned by a friend of the family. While I'm here there is little I can do, I own an air rifle now and attend the local gunclub with the aim of becoming a decent shot before I attempt hunting. When I go home, I know the places to take the slingshot ;) but can't wait to try hunting with my air-rifle and take dad along.

Though my aspirations? I miss having a lurcher and want to learn everything I can about training/care of one. That was the reason I joined the forum as learn from here before I plan to have my dog in about a years time when, I'll have moved out to a rural location again and have the space/time. I'd like to not be such a newbie, thats a pain in the ass. I'm still on the first couple of rings of the ladder in my hunting career I believe. Looking forward to the climb.

• Like 5

I think this is a good question. As a kid dad would take me out hunting, I think he was upset my brother had no interest at all and complained about being outside in the cold! and surprised when I on the other hand bloody loved being out with dad and the dog in any weather, shoving my face down rabbit holes. He taught me to spot pigeon outlines in the trees and rabbits/hares hiding in the grass, how to hold a rifle, bought me my first slingshot (Which I still have/love). I fell out of it as I grew up and did the normal teenage girl stuff/moved away, though I always loved going to long rural walks, and never blinked at gutting things. (Much to the delight of my uni housemates)

It was about three years ago the bug returned, the obsession with my slingshots. I'm 26 now and finishing off further study I realizing this time around I'm not made for urban life at all. I live in Bournemouth city centre and it drives me nuts! I'm lucky that mum and dad are still in the Forest of Dean in their retirement years now so I often return home and recently have access to a large farm owned by a friend of the family. While I'm here there is little I can do, I own an air rifle now and attend the local gunclub with the aim of becoming a decent shot before I attempt hunting. When I go home, I know the places to take the slingshot ;) but can't wait to try hunting with my air-rifle and take dad along.

Though my aspirations? I miss having a lurcher and want to learn everything I can about training/care of one. That was the reason I joined the forum as learn from here before I plan to have my dog in about a years time when, I'll have moved out to a rural location again and have the space/time. I'd like to not be such a newbie, thats a pain in the ass. I'm still on the first couple of rings of the ladder in my hunting career I believe. Looking forward to the climb.

Excellent post. That's what I love about writing threads, you sometimes get the odd gem. Well done mate :thumbs:

After a season which seemed like a complete waste of time and an increase in family size I see myself drawn back to where it all started for me ratching about with 1 dog, air gun and a ferret doing a bit of allsorts. It's just unfortunate really and it churns my stomach to think about it that some of the others will have to make way for the jack of all trades mut that will have a bash at most things yet be a good guard and family dog.

Pmsl, i feel old sometimes... Had you down as in your 30s baw

I am, 30 and 139 months :tongue2:

I am, 30 and 139 months :tongue2:

So 41 + 1/2 :laugh:

Still a novice IMO, been hunting since I was 11 or 12, ferrets of my own back then, but always out with my uncle and the dogs when I could, my parents thought it was a fad and allowed me to get the ferrets, then an air rifle, then my wee sisters got to pick a pup from my uncle a small lurcher bitch, I was 21-22 then, you know the usual, it's a puppy they love it then it gets big and they can't be arsed with it? Well enter my first lurcher bitch, I wasn't really allowed to work her till she was around 18mth so it took abit time with recall and jumping etc, but she's 1 in a million, we've been through a lot, taught each other everything we know, she's semi retired now gets lame for a day after a day/night out, mistakes? Yes a few. Wouldn't change the experience for the world, got my other bitch who I got to do things my way from the off, still made a few small mistakes but it's the learning from them that makes us. 30 now and have no intention of giving it up couldn't be without a dog or 3 and no doubt mistakes will still happen but we'll take it in our stride. :thumbs:

:laugh:Why not have the craic regarding such matters,...it is only chatting,..and the next best thing, to actually being out hunting, is talking about hunting... :yes:

Personaly,..I am as keen as ever,...but a paid job is what realy fires me up,..and although there is extra pressure on,...there is also a need to get things done and dusted,...and no time for fecking around and making too many mistakes...This is a real turn on for me,..and brings all the years of practice into play...

Whereas,.being a lazy kinda fecker by nature,.my natural tendency is always to have a mouch and a quiet wander...

Simply walking where I like , with a dog in tow and not giving a feck about anything..

What occurs,.occurs,.. :D

So,.it does me good, to have a bit of disciplined hunting, now and again,..but at my age, not too much,..just enough to pay the bills...

I was looking back, through some old diaries the other night,....(Ive decades of rough notes,days/nights out, etc)...

Never realy talked much about such things,...just all the gently, gently, softly, softly stuff,..but, I do believe the time has come to jot down a wee something, and maybe put a few things to rest,.once and for all... :yes:

I've also a fancy to breed myself, one more lurcher pup,..just for the last knockings,..and Inshallah,..such a roustabout mouching cur, will prove to be a fitting climax, to a life full of drama and excitement...

One more pup should see me out,..and nobody can ask for more than that.. :thumbs:SkyferretingPerhap087.jpg

Will that be a Beddy x Whippet then. :D

• Like 1