Where Are You In Your Hunting Desire?

Where are you in your hunting desire? Are you relatively new to it all and as hungry as a wolf? Or are you seasoned and still as hungry? I've been into dogs for 33 years, and fishing 36 years. The fishing has came and went but the dogs always remained. Really hammered it for over 20 years, out in all weathers, ferreting, hares, etc etc. It was like a badge of honor, while fair weather hunters were drinking in the pub, you'd be fighting driving sleet for a hare. Driving miles to new ground to poach. These days I'm fastly becoming one of those fair weather hunters lol. Starting to do more fishing than hunting. Like a mouch rather than ferreting 100+ net warrens. It might be cos I haven't a decent dog to run, who knows. But the appetite is still there, just not as strong. So, where are you the now in the grand scheme of things? Work, family etc slowing you down? I feel sorry for the guys who never hunted before the ban, you really missed out no matter what you might think.

• Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been running dogs since i was 12 yr owd, all quarry, im 69 tomoz, still at it with my humble whippet LUV IT

in my 50's now mortgage free, decent job, enough permission for me and mine, kids nearly away (are they ever?), still loads of desire and hunger but how good would it be if i had the strength, fitness

Nearly the end lol...had a great innings at this old game,been lucky to have owned some handy dogs and one or two I'd like to think we're a tad better than that...holy shit I've put EVERYTHING in my l

I think as hunting as got harder to do in its once unrestrained form, I think a few will find the desire to keep hunting as hard as they once did more difficult. If you were caught on the "wrong" side of the fence in the past it was usually a fine at worst, these days you've got to contend with dogs and cars being confiscated.

So that is a big factor in a lot not being as "hardcore" as they once were, not through choice but through other factors. Though I don't go out to hunt as hard as I used to I do tend to get caught up in the hunt and forget the restrictions that are placed on us these days. :victory:

• Like 1

Perfectly happy thank you. Seen all sorts, good and bad - enough to form my own opinions of what I personally find acceptable. I am more realistic now, and my dogs have to fit around a full time job, but still find it very rewarding. If I am still out mooching with dogs when I am in my 40's/50's/60's ( god willing ) I will be a happy girl.

I think as hunting as got harder to do in its once unrestrained form, I think a few will find the desire to keep hunting as hard as they once did more difficult. If you were caught on the "wrong" side of the fence in the past it was usually a fine at worst, these days you've got to contend with dogs and cars being confiscated.

So that is a big factor in a lot not being as "hardcore" as they once were, not through choice but through other factors. Though I don't go out to hunt as hard as I used to I do tend to get caught up in the hunt and forget the restrictions that are placed on us these days. :victory:

Good point Johnny, never thought of that :thumbs: I know a lot of good old lurcher guys who have gave up the dogs. Never really blamed the ban, just thought they lost interest.

Perfectly happy thank you. Seen all sorts, good and bad - enough to form my own opinions of what I personally find acceptable. I am more realistic now, and my dogs have to fit around a full time job, but still find it very rewarding. If I am still out mooching with dogs when I am in my 40's/50's/60's ( god willing ) I will be a happy girl.

40's god willing!!!! You've made me feel really old :( change that at once to 50's/60's/70's :D

• Like 1

in my 50's now mortgage free, decent job, enough permission for me and mine, kids nearly away (are they ever?), still loads of desire and hunger but how good would it be if i had the strength, fitness, fearlessness of youth to go with the hard earned knowledge of 40 yrs in the dog game ?

• Like 8

Ill be hunting harder than ever this season coming as i have 2 different dogs all suited to different quarry. In the last 8 or 9 years ive had 1 season off with the dogs. Id say im still keen as ever as are many of the lads i go out with. I know a lad who jumps up and down still when his dog makes a catch on the bigger stuff. It doesnt matter if you pop out for an hour a week with a ferret or if your

out 6 or 7 nights a week lamping aslong as your

Out. During the season if i havent got plans to lamp or ferret i feel like ive wasted valuable time wich is stupid reslly ....

Perfectly happy thank you. Seen all sorts, good and bad - enough to form my own opinions of what I personally find acceptable. I am more realistic now, and my dogs have to fit around a full time job, but still find it very rewarding. If I am still out mooching with dogs when I am in my 80's/90's/100's ( god willing ) I will be a happy girl.

80's god willing!!!! You've made me feel really old :( change that at once to 110's/120's/130's :D

Is that better ?!

:laugh: