Substituting Saluki Blood For Greyhound Blood.

All the main lurcher types depend on greyhound blood. Maybe this is because greyhound bitches and dogs are easily available. But now that good saluki blood is becoming available, do you think more breeders should experiment with collie/saluki, bull/saluki, beddie/saluki, deerhound /saluki etc.

I have no experience with salukis at all, but the best ones I've seen on video put a coursing greyhound to shame. They run in a far more relaxed, almost thoughtful way.

I'm told they can lighten the frame of lurchers better than a greyhound too. So that, for example there would be less cloddy pups produced from the likes of bull/saluki and gsd/saluki.

What do you think?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The greyhound is one of the fastest animals on the planet. This is why people use them for dog racing. People are fascinated with speed, whether that's greyhounds, horses, cheetahs or Usain Bolt. Spee

If I had a bitch that lacked speed would I breed it to a greyhound?...... No! If I had a bitch that lacked stamina would I breed it to a saluki?...... No!   If I had a bitch that lacked any one of

The dogs that are killing good hares on the big land, generally, can catch them anywhere......they're going to have the speed and the coursing brain for sure...... The average lurcher ain't going to

I think that the saluki lines here in uk needs to be improved by breeding from only proven quality stock that has done the job on all kinds of game and terrain for a number of hard seasons, once a UK bred saluki line produces some top dogs and bitches then and only then look a various crosses if needed but the way the running game is now is the demand going to be there in 10 years time for a line bred running dog, some will run for life but unless youngsters are taught and encouraged the demise of the quality dog is visible on the horizen in the uk.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

Should be an intresting one....... Me tho i dont see much need too use ANY pure in any form when theres alread established stuff doing there stuff.Be it if you need a stayer or need too add pace or more gears ect, Plenty of bull types if thats what your after ect ec

Should be an intresting one....... Me tho i dont see much need too use ANY pure in any form when theres alread established stuff doing there stuff.Be it if you need a stayer or need too add pace or more gears ect, Plenty of bull types if thats what your after ect ec

what do bull types add?

I,ve been thinking down these lines myself for a while greyhounds were easily obtainable and the greyhound boys were glad to pass them on after there racing days were over temperament preydrive,stamina are just a few things that had to be taken on trust . The only salukis available were show bred and of doubtful use but with imported desert bred dogs now in the country this could be a viable alternative to greyhound bred dogs

What iam saying now matter if your a moocher/ferreter/flushing/or lamper theres lines for ALL already working

What iam trying too say is if i had a bitch here that only lacked a bit of top end pace instead of useing a pure GH. Id use a really sharp fast type lurcher thats already doing his job over ANY pure GH. Same as if the bitch done everything but just lacked that bit of stamnia id rather use a lurcher that proven he's plenty of wind and throw wind into his pups than say a pure Sal. so on and so on the Bull types was just for an example. Like i said should be a good post cause its based on each others opinions which will differ

• Like 3

in my opinion and experience, the saluki, saturated,breed is for large land, the greyhound x of old in the 50s and 60s put to a proper hill collie, x out of litter of 7

you would get maybe two or three dogs good for all round work EDIBLE, that is and you had command of them a joy to work with, now the modern day breed saluki x are hyper, a mind of there own, and you are the slave, for there beg and call, genuine,,, I got a pup last year and it was a pup from Hell, would not stop crying, sleep a couple of hours, and then the sirens, ((((( it was so Hyper, if I was not there for it, you would think some one was killing the pup, so ok I got a bad one, I gave it away to a lad who does shooting, I tried to borrow a young spaniel off him, to put with her, to keep her quite, ((((( no deal,,,, by the way the last 3 weeks she was sleeping in the house, I used to walk her the same as big dog just to make her tired, fed on the best, and still crying,, enough was enough,

remember a pup is for your pleasure, to be an extension of your family, lets clear all this Myth, that the collie grey had No stamina, they done very well for me,

so back to the saluki x clever runners, good feet, quick recovery from a run,, the down side they will test your patience to the limit, and only controll them with your voice or whistle, they sulk like a spoilt kid, if you scold them with your voice, they will turn there back on you, every thing has to be to there advantage,

• Like 3

I've heard people say salukis are a nightmare to own, but others say they are just a dog, same as any other.

If it's true that saluki blood would add obedience/recall problems, then sticking with greyhound blood would make more sense.

I'd be interested in the views of those that are true saluki devotees.

what do bull types add?

STRONGER DRIVE AND OVERALL POWER :thumbs:

The only breed of any dog that I think you would put a sazuki to if it was a good hare catcher would be a pure bulldog that was used for diggin the bad boys and was good at it. Other than that they are shit compared to yalls coursing dogs.

• Like 1

Greyhounds have prey drive in abundance, but not the most biddable of dogs, very few guys work pure greys, however the saluki is not renowned as being the mensa equivalant of the canine world. I think there will be a resurgance to the old type of working lurcher, as said the saluki favours the big fields, but as a sighthound based dog yeah it certainly has a future in breeding. My view is that lurchers are falling into two catergories, sighthound lurchers, and the more tractable working lurcher which isnt just a one trick pony. YIS KIC.

• Like 2

keep saluki's or saluki x greys for what they do best,, in my opinion, if u wanted a digging dog buy a pup that sire and dam have been proven,, if u wanted a rabbiting dog try and keep any type of lurcher under 23" will have a much higher kill ratio, if u wanted to do the reds u dont necceserily need a bull x, but something thats bred frpm proven workers,, so on and so on, crossing a saluki with a bull, what would that bring?????????my opinion nothing,, why would a dog need endless stamina for a fox or pig, or why would the saluki need the bull for daytime?? jmo, shaun