Substituting Saluki Blood For Greyhound Blood.

Good post Baw... Though I think both Bolio an Dan have nailed it, why use a pure blood saluki (or greyhound) because good coursing blood combines the best of both...

I'd personally use the best lurcher to lurcher too but I was more referring to the saluki taking over from the greyhound altogether as the main dog to breed from thus wiping out the greyhound usage altogether. But as you say, if bulldozer was a bitch and Lucas a dog, the pups would be better than breeding either to a greyhound or saluki IMO.
This is where i disagree mate. its a fact lucus produces better when put to heavily saluki saturated bitch, so just for arguments sake ,say bulldozer was a collie/grey saturated bitch with only a touch of saluki. then would the pups be the best possible. or would a litter from an average saluki saturated bitch have be better :hmm:

I'm allowed to change the sex of bulldozer, your not allowed to change the breeding :laugh: its all pie in the sky to be honest mate. Breeding any dogs is a lottery, but if you have 2 dogs with equal good stamina and speed then you'd be as well breeding them together rather than something which has more either stamina or speed. You know yourself mate, you either get lots of stamina or lots of speed, its just the laws of physics. Someone with more knowledge in biology than me can explain twitchy muscles or whatever they are called lol. Depending where you run, you want more of one than the other but ideally a balance that suits your land. More speed means drop in stamina and vice versa.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The greyhound is one of the fastest animals on the planet. This is why people use them for dog racing. People are fascinated with speed, whether that's greyhounds, horses, cheetahs or Usain Bolt. Spee

If I had a bitch that lacked speed would I breed it to a greyhound?...... No! If I had a bitch that lacked stamina would I breed it to a saluki?...... No!   If I had a bitch that lacked any one of

The dogs that are killing good hares on the big land, generally, can catch them anywhere......they're going to have the speed and the coursing brain for sure...... The average lurcher ain't going to

Good post Baw... Though I think both Bolio an Dan have nailed it, why use a pure blood saluki (or greyhound) because good coursing blood combines the best of both...

I'd personally use the best lurcher to lurcher too but I was more referring to the saluki taking over from the greyhound altogether as the main dog to breed from thus wiping out the greyhound usage altogether. But as you say, if bulldozer was a bitch and Lucas a dog, the pups would be better than breeding either to a greyhound or saluki IMO.
This is where i disagree mate. its a fact lucus produces better when put to heavily saluki saturated bitch, so just for arguments sake ,say bulldozer was a collie/grey saturated bitch with only a touch of saluki. then would the pups be the best possible. or would a litter from an average saluki saturated bitch have be better :hmm:

I'm allowed to change the sex of bulldozer, your not allowed to change the breeding :laugh: its all pie in the sky to be honest mate. Breeding any dogs is a lottery, but if you have 2 dogs with equal good stamina and speed then you'd be as well breeding them together rather than something which has more either stamina or speed. You know yourself mate, you either get lots of stamina or lots of speed, its just the laws of physics. Someone with more knowledge in biology than me can explain twitchy muscles or whatever they are called lol. Depending where you run, you want more of one than the other but ideally a balance that suits your land. More speed means drop in stamina and vice versa.

but what about the whippet effect :laugh:

but what about the whippet effect :laugh:

:laugh: that's the spirit, lets get back to talking shit, my heads aching with this serious guff :laugh::tongue2:

• Like 1

If I had a bitch that lacked speed would I breed it to a greyhound?...... No!

If I had a bitch that lacked stamina would I breed it to a saluki?...... No!

If I had a bitch that lacked any one of the required traits for the job in hand I wouldn't breed from it at all......I'd buy a pup from two parents that DID possess the desired traits and hope that it had inherited these very qualities. I.M.H.O.

I agree with what your saying mate but to be fair, to get the parents with the desired assets, someone at some point had to add what was needed at the time to the mix to get the desired result.

Thats true Baw but the space race wasn't won by men using flint implements....even though someone at some point had to work out how to make tools from stone. It would be like going back to the first step on the evolutionary ladder each time......wouldn't we be better to start at the top where we are now?

If I had a bitch that lacked speed would I breed it to a greyhound?...... No!

If I had a bitch that lacked stamina would I breed it to a saluki?...... No!

If I had a bitch that lacked any one of the required traits for the job in hand I wouldn't breed from it at all......I'd buy a pup from two parents that DID possess the desired traits and hope that it had inherited these very qualities. I.M.H.O.

I agree with what your saying mate but to be fair, to get the parents with the desired assets, someone at some point had to add what was needed at the time to the mix to get the desired result.
Thats true Baw but the space race wasn't won by men using flint implements....even though someone at some point had to work out how to make tools from stone. It would be like going back to the first step on the evolutionary ladder each time......wouldn't we be better to start at the top where we are now?

Your bang on mate, for once I was sticking to the OP :laugh::thumbs:

there are two types of rubber bands for the catty lets for argument sake say lurcher elastic and saluki elastic :whistling:

:laugh::notworthy: that's as bad as when I compared a saluki coursing dog to a Gillette razor :laugh:

baw, you say a hare outruns a running dog that has stamina but lacking speed a little and is well gone...........what about a beagle or harrier ? hardly a running dog they get outrun initially but nose and stamina takeover and the hare has no chance, ive seen them run to a bloody nosed standstill by a spaniel

baw, you say a hare outruns a running dog that has stamina but lacking speed a little and is well gone...........what about a beagle or harrier ? hardly a running dog they get outrun initially but nose and stamina takeover and the hare has no chance, ive seen them run to a bloody nosed standstill by a spaniel

Would you class that as coursing?

so when does coursing become hunting? if we do it for the sport.....fastest to fastest would give the most spectacular maybe not the most successful but if we do it for the kill why not cross a greyhound with a beagle to get nose and stamina?

so when does coursing become hunting? if we do it for the sport.....fastest to fastest would give the most spectacular maybe not the most successful but if we do it for the kill why not cross a greyhound with a beagle to get nose and stamina?

do beagles not work in a pack ? and a good salxgrey or sal will catch them single handed ;)

do beagles not work in a pack ? and a good salxgrey or sal will catch them single handed ;)

beagles only hunt in a pack for the tradition or the spectacle a single hound could do the same job, a saluki needs the right ground to do the job on small tightly hedged or walled fields a collie and a gate net would do it better.....whats hunting ? whats sport?