Lurchers That Dont Jump

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dogs jump no bother, and when on the chase will jump the obstacle, but depending on some fence situation/location I will choose to lift them over, a dog that won't jump full stop is a different ket

Most people who don't allow or teach their dogs to jump state that it's to reduce the chance of injury and yes they do have a point. However a non jumping dog can also be injured trying to go through

canny jump its as much use as a chocolate fireguard mate....

Posted Images

I would soon get pissed with a dog that couldn't jump a gate. Any lurcher should be able to piss a 5 bar gate imo. ffs I know spaniels that can clear 5 bar gates so a lurcher should sail over. Just simply from a practicality point.

ive got a 10 year old and a 14 year old that jump them daily and have done all there lives, jumping is as much a part of lurcher work as retrieving is, if you want to wrap it in cotton wool then stick to fly ball :laugh:

:yes::thumbs:

anybody that runs dogs knows that jumping is an essential part of the dog working ;)

Mine clears fences without ever touching the wire but will not jump a gate for anything the funny fecker. Luckily there's not many fences here mainly ditches. He's nearly nacked himself a few times on ditches on the lamp too.

• Like 1

They gotta jump ;)

DSCF1854.jpg

I tell my bitch NOT to jump fences like that. Feck risking a vets bill for the sake of 5 seconds putting the dog over the fence.

Each to there own though. I'm glad my bitch does jump. Handy at night with full hands etc. But there's certainly times when I say in my head "Dont jump that girl. Wait for me!"

right then here goes.

my old bitch jumps barb wire everyday on the farm. one day i took her out on the lamp to catch a rabbit for tea. we were only out 10 mins with two in the bag. on the second rabbit she clipped a fence that she had jumped a thousand times before. there was no yelp and she continued to course and catch the rabbit i slipped her on. i got home and popped her in her run with her food and she ate it and jumped into her bed. there was no blood or any sign of pain.

i went to take the dogs for there morning run and noticed that something wasn't right with her. i checked her over to find a massive tear in her thigh. a trip to the vets and a £500 bill later

she still jumps to this day. it''s not practical for me to lift 3 lurchers over every fence

it was just one of those things.

i could get run over if i cross the road

its no surprise how many lurchers do not jump, for one reason or the other , just gets back ta the old excuses breed it in him, and theyll jump wether thee wants im to or not to me a none jumper is and does not fall in to the class of a lurcher, i have watched coursing bred stock jump like stags on the run and in general exercise , there be no excuxes for the none jumper more so in the general lurcher type . atb bunnys.

My older dog never jumped and it never bothered me in the slightest because the ground i worked had f**k all to jump ,,,,then i took him to some ground with stone walls and had to chuck him over every one :icon_redface: needless to say my younger dog jumps like a fecking roo :yes: