Lurchers That Dont Jump

right then here goes.

my old bitch jumps barb wire everyday on the farm. one day i took her out on the lamp to catch a rabbit for tea. we were only out 10 mins with two in the bag. on the second rabbit she clipped a fence that she had jumped a thousand times before. there was no yelp and she continued to course and catch the rabbit i slipped her on. i got home and popped her in her run with her food and she ate it and jumped into her bed. there was no blood or any sign of pain.

i went to take the dogs for there morning run and noticed that something wasn't right with her. i checked her over to find a massive tear in her thigh. a trip to the vets and a £500 bill later

she still jumps to this day. it''s not practical for me to lift 3 lurchers over every fence

it was just one of those things.

i could get run over if i cross the road

i had a dog for a few years....excellent jumper,used to get ripped alot though due to the amount of work he done on bigger quarry....anyway,he was on a old country road spotted a long ear,at this point he was off the lead...so he went to enter the feild at speed.....and hits two slack strands of barbed wire,a real old fence,about 2ft high,trying to jump it in a hurry.....dog ended up with 28 staples and 7stitches.....from his stomach to his knee....not very nice to look at....but this can happen even without jumping.....its all part of the dog game ;)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dogs jump no bother, and when on the chase will jump the obstacle, but depending on some fence situation/location I will choose to lift them over, a dog that won't jump full stop is a different ket

Most people who don't allow or teach their dogs to jump state that it's to reduce the chance of injury and yes they do have a point. However a non jumping dog can also be injured trying to go through

canny jump its as much use as a chocolate fireguard mate....

Posted Images

My whippet jump fine....when she want to.... but id rather she didnt. Ill just sling her under my arm and gently step over the dangerous fence and put her down minding not to hurt her paws :thumbs:

My lurcher jumps 100% and as said before...a pain at times.

My lab x also jumps.....

But an eye opener to me was when she clipped the top bar of a 5 bar gate and was hanging over the gate by her leg Screaming.

Lucky i was only 20 yards away an no harm done.

Now if that was my lurcher going at speed and 250+ yards away across a wet boggy field....its a completely different outcome.

A risk of the game i know but a risk nonetheless.

The thing is some dogs just want to jump so i'd rather have a dog that can jump than a dog that cant but still wants too...recipe for disaster that.

• Like 2

My whippet jump fine....when she want to.... but id rather she didnt. Ill just sling her under my arm and gently step over the dangerous fence and put her down minding not to hurt her paws :thumbs:

My lurcher jumps 100% and as said before...a pain at times.

My lab x also jumps.....

But an eye opener to me was when she clipped the top bar of a 5 bar gate and was hanging over the gate by her leg Screaming.

Lucky i was only 20 yards away an no harm done.

Now if that was my lurcher going at speed and 250+ yards away across a wet boggy field....its a completely different outcome.

A risk of the game i know but a risk nonetheless.

these things happen when chasing quarry,but the dog will hopefully not hang by its leg again,they need to learn that they will need to clear it or they will hurt themselves......in most cases :laugh:,and its not so easy to put a big lurcher under your arm and throw them over ;)....each to their own bud :victory:

a lurcher is a working animal and jumping is one on the list of disciplines that make up a working animal. if it dont do one of these things, then its not a lurcher and just a simple crossbreed.

What if you're ferreting and working hedgerows, with some fencing along it and the rabbit bolts on the other side that your not on. if your dog dont jump, are you seriously telling me that will be happy to lift your "lurcher" over to go catch it. i can think of loads of similar scenarios, feck that shite.

Teach em while pups, they can't run so fast or jump so high so less chance of them hurting themselves badly. I lost count of the amount of skin tears my bitch had in her first 18 months. Now she knows her game she very rarely picks up jumping/barbed wire injuries, she knows her abilities through hours of practice and mistakes as a pup.

so if a terrier doesnt go to ground.....is it not a terrier? :hmm:

Many would say not......... I'd be inclined to agree, at least not a terrier in the true sense of the word. But who really gives a shite what the fella in the street thinks, all that matters is that we are happy with our own dogs, bollocks to pleasing anyone else.

• Like 1