brian plummer- a fieldsport and terrier expert or a complete fantasist?

Before those that hold the man in high esteem try and badger me into an argument im not biteing. I feel opinions may be split on this subject but how do you rate plummer and his work? I suspect that plummer was little more than a victorian ratcatcher and fictional author, that surounded himself with young impressional would be hunting lads, because they couldnt challenge his views..... people give him a godlike status do you think this is well founded? Was the plummer terrier developed as a working terrier or an ego boost for a fame-hungry rat hunter? No arguments please!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did he write a good book?, yes, he was and still is to my mind the best field sports writer. Did he tell porkies?, sure did, I knew Brian very well and caught him out on a few occasions, that said, I

Stabs,it was his breeding programme untill he became to ill with heart attacks,depression,etc,when he came out of hospital his main dogs had been taken to be looked after by people who thought they co

I can only speak as I found him,to me he was generous by giving me 2 bitches to run on but he was difficult to get on with if your opinion differed from his,he came across as a boffin type that enjoye

reality or myth his books make good reading and anything that gets people wanting to get involved sounds good to me. The problems come from the availability of information and the ease of comunication that is out there now. everyones an expert at the touch of a button :thumbs:

dont know the man but he devolped his own line of ratting dogs def not for me or my sport at all but he has done something. if they truth be told we would all like to leave a legacy in the terrier game his is not one i would like to leave but each to his own he could be a fantistist but he will def be rembered

reality or myth his books make good reading and anything that gets people wanting to get involved sounds good to me. The problems come from the availability of information and the ease of comunication that is out there now. everyones an expert at the touch of a button :thumbs:

was gonna post pretty much the same ---

He used to phone me every Christmas day and wish me a merry Christmas he helped the Scottish Working Dog Association in the fight against the Watson bill. Junior O'Donnell coresponded with Brian from 1968 (Jnr) got a terrier he called Morag from Brian in 68. Guys came up from England in the 70s to hunt with my old man and junior one of them had smart tan and white terriers roundabout 12 ins that gave a good account for themselves. I met these guys for myself at Brians funeral and we sat there and talked of the old days with John Winch a lot of the guys I know and respect had a lot of respect for Brian I still think of him and miss his calls. These guys were from Northumberland and round about Durham.

Edited by events co-ordinator
  • Like 3

A marmite character if ever there was one! I didn't know the man but I have enjoyed his books . I think what sealed it for me was when I spoke to a well known terrier man and he said that when he visited his yard one of his first type Plummer terriers was in a standing barrel with

a piece of wire on it to keep it in. The dog was cold and wet and had been in there a while.

I think he`s excellent. He got plenty into the sport which has to be a good thing. I enjoy his stories, even if they are a bit made up.

I like Clive Cussler as well, and all his stories aren`t true either.

As an aside, I`m looking for Plummer first editions. If anybody has any they want to sell, PM me

whats so special about plummer he made up storys in books and made a line of ratting terriers theres lads on here with more know how than him that breed digging dogs he didnt write books to share his knowledge about hunting ratting ferreting digging he done it for money after all his books where nothing more than fairy tales but id have to say he bred his dogs for what they did rat nothing special so whats all the hype about he breed ratting dogs there was better terriermen out there than him who created are digging dogs

i love his books, i was given 'the complete jack russell' when i was 12 and i've been into dogs ever since... but i did lose interest when he said that he bred a litter of cavalier king charles spaniels that ratted and dug badger with the best of them!! i have him on dvd sayin it at a book reading... i was then really disappointed when i bought michael shaws lurcher and terrier books and discovered that plummer also wrote under that name and contradicted himself on numerous occassions concerning the training of saluki's and greyhounds!!

but with that being said, i think his hunting footage and tv documentarys done alot of good for hunting!!