brian plummer- a fieldsport and terrier expert or a complete fantasist?

cant deny he wrote a good book i`ve read em all ... it was other things that went on with him that a lot of people could`nt be arsed with ,he ended up slagging the very people that bought his books -- his sunday diggers and most terriermen are of low intelligence comments his reporting of terrier lads to the rspca and lies he put in some of his books got peoples backs up fiction in books is one thing lies about people is another .. i dug with the man a couple of tmes and did`nt like some of his methods ...the man thought he was bigger than the myth and he bit the hand that fed him ....

tattoo and earing brigade :thumbs:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did he write a good book?, yes, he was and still is to my mind the best field sports writer. Did he tell porkies?, sure did, I knew Brian very well and caught him out on a few occasions, that said, I

Stabs,it was his breeding programme untill he became to ill with heart attacks,depression,etc,when he came out of hospital his main dogs had been taken to be looked after by people who thought they co

I can only speak as I found him,to me he was generous by giving me 2 bitches to run on but he was difficult to get on with if your opinion differed from his,he came across as a boffin type that enjoye

cant deny he wrote a good book i`ve read em all ... it was other things that went on with him that a lot of people could`nt be arsed with ,he ended up slagging the very people that bought his books -- his sunday diggers and most terriermen are of low intelligence comments his reporting of terrier lads to the rspca and lies he put in some of his books got peoples backs up fiction in books is one thing lies about people is another .. i dug with the man a couple of tmes and did`nt like some of his methods ...the man thought he was bigger than the myth and he bit the hand that fed him ....

tattoo and earing brigade :thumbs:

all book buyers :D Edited by the_stig
  • Like 1

love him or loathe him he got more people in to dogs and country sports through his books than any other person ever. plus his books were /are a damn good read . yes its not all truth in his books in fact far from it but tell me one author who doesnt romance or exagerate things in their books .as my old granny used to say never speak ill of the dead .to me b p was at the fore front of all the modern day writers of our sport pastime call it what you want .he also bred a breed of terrier that has been named after him ,ok not exactly setting the world alight but quite a acheivment all the same . r.i.p. brian .

He did always reckon his books would have sold better if there had been more pictures in them.

I feel bad now,, I have tattoos and earings and am collecting his books ! shit,, I`m scum ! hahahahaha

plummers---- dot to dot for you :whistling:

David Brian Plummer... No more controversial name comes up in the hunting world... I won't lie, as a youngster I loved his books but by the time I read my first I had been ratting on the local tip, amongst other stuff, for a few years and it all seemed a bit romanced to me. Never the less I read keen as mustard whenever I got a book, spending many a wet afternoon in the local library trawling through. Back in the late 70's an early 80's lurcher & terrier info for an Anfield kid was hard to find and to me, the Exchange & Mart was bought as keenly as that weeks good single!

Never spoke to the man, seen him a good few times, the last at Weston Pk, I think in his last year but never could think of anything to say! Wish I had of though...!!

WM, you mention Plummer being 'goaded by fools into silly bets', yet Plummer mentions his love for betting in many of his books, stating in Artisan Hunter that his bets ratting with his old terriers bought his Huddlesford House and when he had his old terrier San, he would 'seek out fools' to bet against. Your quite right on his experience with terriers though, as you stated mostly (almost solely) ratting. He stated in print a few times of his 'dislike' for digging and although his early dogs, the Welsh bred ones, were bred as primarily earth dogs. My fav line on the subject, one that has always stuck in my head is in Omega, when she suddenly awakened and killed her first rats, that she would never be used for digging, as it would be like using a rapier to chop wood.. Just shows you though, the impact, I still remember so much stuff from his books..

Just one tale though, at age 19 I started work in a swimming pool in Ormskirk. The old boiler man there Jimmy used to breed and run lurchers, Deerhound crosses, with Nuttall of Clitheroe, who is mentioned in Plummers first book. Now old Jimmy was once a tennant farmer in Halsall, on the edge of Altacr estate and he lost his tennancy because of his love of coursing. Jimmy was of that old school 'doffing his imaginary cap' at just about anyone who he thought had the slightest more status than him. Never a bad word about anyone. I mentioned Plummer once, only once, because Jimmy flew into a rage at the mention of his name, saying he done more to feck up lurchers than any man in this country amongst other stuff. Going on to say that he had met him a few times in the early 70's and told him exactly this..! I never mentioned Plummer to him again, his rage was so unlike him and he seemed genuinely upset and the thing is, Jimmy had never read a Plummer book, because Jimmy couldn't read..! Hancock too mentions Plummers 'experiments' with breeding Lurchers and almost says the same.

;)

He wrote some good storys and if my memory serves me right i used to read his books while attending the local library with the school, those books especially the rat hunting ones started the ball rolling for me on all feildsports, So regardless of all the stuff wrote about him I will say thank you Mr Plummer RIP

only had 1 plummer it came to me via a man called phil fish of ammanford wales she died at the age of two on a dig, dispite what some people say about brian i enjoyed his books be it fact or fiction if it was'nt for them i would not have got in to field sports r.i.p brian p.

Paddy, was he related to Di Fish of Ammanford who bred the Merle dog?

i did'nt know that, all he said was he had a couple of dogs off directly off brian. i wish i had another like the bitch pup it a shame she pasted at a early age.

Read a couple of his books and found he digressed a lot but still good reads. Here was a man who could speak 6-7 different languages a doctor, school teacher, author and hunter who brought up all the old wives tales as far as hunting was concerned and all these's so called hunters and proved all them wrong, yet was hated for it. I never met the man but from what I've heard from someone who was close to him he was wacky but f...... Brilliant. Forgot to mention the creator of these fantastic red and white terrier which are IMO second to none

If he was still alive I'm pretty sure you'd either be living with him or he'd have taken an injunction out against you. Do you realise you appear to have un unhealthy obsession with a man you never knew?
  • Like 2

only had 1 plummer it came to me via a man called phil fish of ammanford wales she died at the age of two on a dig, dispite what some people say about brian i enjoyed his books be it fact or fiction if it was'nt for them i would not have got in to field sports r.i.p brian p.

Paddy, was he related to Di Fish of Ammanford who bred the Merle dog?

brother.