Whippet or lurcher?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She's bull/whip/grey x beddy/grey baw, a real flyer tbh and one of the fastest dogs I've owned.

A great little dog and I would say the most entertaining dog I have seen to run rabbits either night or day. But in all seriousness would it physically stand lamping several nights a week in the winte

Baw , you fooking philistine ,get yourself a whippet ,enjoy the poetry and beauty a decent whippet will bring to your life , stand back in amazment while the little warrior does his thing efficiently

Posted Images

The speed thing is why a lot get a whippet but theres plenty lurchers out there with speed to burn, I have a little lurcher here who only loses out to a whippet on the initial take off but theres not much in it, when she's up into full flying mode she'll hold her own against most whippets for speed and is a more durable/tougher(call it what you like) than a whippet. :thumbs:

I put my 24" lurcher against a lad down the roads 20" whippet a couple of weekends back on his lure. He insisted that his whippet would be so much faster off the mark that even though mine would be faster top end she wouldn't be able to make up that initial lost ground.

This wasn't the case. The whippet was its head and neck in front for about 20 metres, at which point my lurcher took over, by the 100m mark my lurcher was its full length in front. On the turn the whippet caught up to having its head probably half way along my lurchers body and then at the end of the 100m back my lurcher was about 6' in front.

It could be a slow whippet. But just shows that the small size doesn't automatically mean they will accelerate tremendously.

Cant speak for other whippet owners, but ive been amongst working dogs for many a year, but the whippet i own, isnt your average thin skinned reared on a shivering tit whippet, considering all i do these days is bunnies, in which she excels, then i will stick to what i have, yes i have for some time considered a beddy type lurcher, just for summat different, theres a guy near me we a collie cross, it cant hold a candle to my whippet, quite a few whippy owners i know have summat else in their kennels apart from whippets, perhaps those whippets are performing, i dunno, as for me, mine does, you will just have to take my word on that, maybe a change of breed in the new year, we will see

:victory: :victory:

Edited by iworkwhippets

Cant speak for other whippet owners, but ive been amongst working dogs for many a year, but the whippet i own, isnt your average thin skinned reared on a shivering tit whippet, considering all i do these days is bunnies, in which she excels, then i will stick to what i have, yes i have for some time considered a beddy type lurcher, just for summat different, theres a guy near me we a collie cross, it cant hold a candle to my whippet, quite a few whippy owners i know have summat else in their kennels apart from whippets, perhaps those whippets are performing, i dunno, as for me, mine does, you will just have to take my word on that, maybe a change of breed in the new year, we will see

:victory: :victory:

Would you still say the same if the ban was lifted?

Genuine question.

Im a big fan of the whippet when worked at what best suits them,would i have another,definitely not.saying that i like lurchers,but the vast majority i would,nt give kennel space to either.Its all down to personal preference and what best suits the individuals hunting and family lifestyle.

Im a big fan of the whippet when worked at what best suits them,would i have another,definitely not.saying that i like lurchers,but the vast majority i would,nt give kennel space to either.Its all down to personal preference and what best suits the individuals hunting and family lifestyle.

Not sure if I'm reading this right; but are you saying you wouldn't give the vast majority of Lurchers kennel space, or Whippets ?? Either way, could you tell us why ? :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm reading this right; but are you saying you wouldn't give the vast majority of Lurchers kennel space, or Whippets ?? Either way, could you tell us why ? :thumbs:

Cheers.

Whippets don,t suit my hunting lifestyle,Neither do the majority of lurchers,ive seen some fantastic jukels over the years,various crosses that all did a job of work,trouble is now certain lurchers are bred for image not function,looks and appearance are more valued than honest breeding,i still come across some decent dogs,but so much dross,now i stick to whats been tried and tested,possibly not the best,but reliable and honest in the field,i don,t stray away from what ive found to work for me,owner preference.Ive seen many dogs bred different to mine that id love to own,when the chances have arisen to take them on ive declined,i know with reason that mine do all i ask of them to a standard that suits me but may not suit another,thats why so many have a dog thats bred and appears different,some for the right reason,many not.

Don't think any one that wants a out and out grafter would want a pure whippet,There more like falconry where its more about the quality of the sport.

But defiantly the best lurcher's Ive seen have whippet in the mix,where they bring a lot to the table.

i like whippets had none ped whippet bitch, great little rabbit dog. But i think Bryn my 1x collie grey is a better rabbit dog, he is fast of the mark, good feet+coat ,good wind, handle any weather great nose in the day had loads of rabbits with+ lamp , and for this x is very fast lurcher ,carnt see really how a whippet would be better than him at the rabbit job. !!