Whippet or lurcher?

Right you lovers of the thin skinned, shivering whippet, do you think they hold their own or better than a purpose bred lurcher? I'm not talking whippet cross lurchers, I mean for instance, collie cross. If both top animals were to be given a days ferreting bolting rabbits, scrub walking etc, followed by a nights lamping, which would come out best? Never had a whippet so I'm genuinely interested.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She's bull/whip/grey x beddy/grey baw, a real flyer tbh and one of the fastest dogs I've owned.

A great little dog and I would say the most entertaining dog I have seen to run rabbits either night or day. But in all seriousness would it physically stand lamping several nights a week in the winte

Baw , you fooking philistine ,get yourself a whippet ,enjoy the poetry and beauty a decent whippet will bring to your life , stand back in amazment while the little warrior does his thing efficiently

Posted Images

There is a reason why a lurcher is a cross between a sighthound and other breeds, and those benefits are exactly why I keep a lurcher. Nothing against whippets but they cannot compare to a good hardly lurcher in many ways in my honest opinion.

And I am around whippets all the time, lamped a few, and seen quite a few work. ;) Fantastic dogs in their own right, but not in the same league as a good collie cross.

• Like 2

Ive been out Ferreting a lot in this cold weather, but only doing woods as its easier to peg, and a lot softer going for the Whippet, he spends his time hunting up, and even when waiting at the nets for a bolt, i noticed he was not shivering.

may be different ferreting in cold rain, but cant comment, as i dont go out in cold rain.

I worked a Whippet X Bedlington for nine seasons, and although was the best Rabbiting dog i have had, she had a linty coat, and if got wet, when cold, she would shiver.

Edited by Country Joe

See this is my point, why have a whippet when a lurcher does the same and more?

Personal preference?

Small, compact, good size for in the house. My mates got 2 about 19" tts. Don't know they are there. Curl up inbetween his feet in the footwell.

Personally I will always favour a bigger lurcher but each to there own :thumbs:

Because Baw, some just like to try something different, thats why some like a certain cross where others like another.

I have always worked dogs with a bit of Whippet in them, and for years worked Beddy Whippets, which I think are great little dogs.

When i lost my last one, some who know me, thought it surprising I didn't get another, but i just fancied a change.

not in any way saying that Whippets are the ultimate, but im happy with mine, and thats all that matters.

• Like 2

Right you lovers of the thin skinned, shivering whippet, do you think they hold their own or better than a purpose bred lurcher? I'm not talking whippet cross lurchers, I mean for instance, collie cross. If both top animals were to be given a days ferreting bolting rabbits, scrub walking etc, followed by a nights lamping, which would come out best? Never had a whippet so I'm genuinely interested.

I've owned and worked Whippets, and am a big fan of them, (and Saluki's !!LOL !!), but in the scenario you describe; it would have to be the Lurcher !! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Good points guys. I'm not a numbers guy but getting a dog that's restricting is a different thing. I always fancied the notion of a whippet for reasons country joe says. Nice wee dog, not much hassle etc. I've been doing a lot of ferreting recently, always did ferreting but it was second to my first love. I just don't see the point of getting a whippet when I know pangs for what I love doing will grow strong lol when a lurcher can do both and is evidently better at both. I was hoping for more back up for the whippet but alas no....

Good points guys. I'm not a numbers guy but getting a dog that's restricting is a different thing. I always fancied the notion of a whippet for reasons country joe says. Nice wee dog, not much hassle etc. I've been doing a lot of ferreting recently, always did ferreting but it was second to my first love. I just don't see the point of getting a whippet when I know pangs for what I love doing will grow strong lol when a lurcher can do both and is evidently better at both. I was hoping for more back up for the whippet but alas no....

I very very nearly had one. Had a pup booked when I got offered this lurcher bitch I've got now.

I'm so thankful I didn't. The whippet is an awesome little rabbit dog but I couldn't do with a whippet what I do with my lurcher, she is just so much more versatile.

See this is my point, why have a whippet when a lurcher does the same and more?

because they come in blue :whistling:

But they are £600 :thumbs:

last one i had cost me £50 and a pint of guiness :laugh:

I used to think highly of you. And now I learn you gave up a pint of guiness, gods liquid, for a blue whippet?!?

Shame on you.

:laugh: