Working Bedlingtons 2005

At what point does x bred stop/start becoming a Bedlington :hmm: This topic fascinates me for some reason :laugh: Is a 3/4 collie /grey a working Greyhound?or a lurcher? If I put a 1st cross patt/border over a border,will I have a Working Border....??? Ive no problem with people breeding what they like and Im sure they must be doing the job,but I wouldn't kid myself and call them Bedlingtons....and the argument of having fell/lakie in their ancestry so its ok to introduce more don't wash with me either,they are hybrids ,if they breed true give them a name "Linty Terrier" lolol sorry couldn't resist :icon_redface: Im not anti Bedlington by the way,did a lot with one 30+years ago,fantastic dog (till it was stolen :censored: ) I just don't think this will "save" the breed as a working dog,bastardising it to enable it to do its job...

All dogs are mongrels,fact,all breed types,be that Great Dane,Cocker Spaniel,Jack Russel etc.etc. are line bred to produce a specific type of canine.The KC in its infinite wisdom set breed standards that are at odds with a Working Standard.The hybrid Bedlingtons about now are much closer to the ORIGINAL in character and TYPE than the vast majority of the so called KC pure breds,the majority of which have hidden lineage that the breeders wish to disguise.Thus in my mind anything that looks and works like the early Bedlingtons is better befitting the name than the vast majority of their modern cousins.Its naive to get bogged down with pedigrees and purity,there never was a pure bred jukel,just some that are bred to fit a certain breed standard.The majority of breeds are less than a couple of centuries old,in that time the odd pinch of this and that as been sprinkled into the lineage to carry the line,thus modern Bedlingtons sprinkled with some of their ancestory are possibly more pure than some others?.Its about breeding a type of terrier that befits its name and breeding as a working terrier,if it looks and grafts like a Bedlington and breeds to type then its a Bedlington,if it looks and grafts like a Bedlington and does not breed to type,then its a work in progress,yet is more important to the survival of the Bedlington than any KC bred rubbish masquerading under false pretence.

How true to type are they breeding Morton?Once again I must stress,Im not crabbing your dogs,Im genuinly interested :thumbs: How level are litters,size,colour and conformation wise Cheers, Dave

The Bedlington gene is very influential in any outcross,ive half x,s that are very Rothburyish,the second generation they are as near to the idyll Bedlington as any out there,then they breed true to type every time,the Outcross needs to be as pure as its possible to get,i used a red Fell bitch bred down from many generations of the same,ive yet to throw a red pup in the breeding,such is the Beddy influence.The Bedlington is higher on the leg than the majority of working terriers,always was,thus you look for that in the breeding.Ive yet to breed a dog over 15" or a bitch over 14" and a 1lb in weight ratio,working fit.I heavily line breed to get what i desire,ive at least 5 generations here that are typey and honest,the ones i graft,ive a couple of Bitches that my wife and daughter took on that im not allowed to work,ill happily breed from them as i know their history.Some of the half crosses throw to the Fell in type,yet retain the Black Beddy influence,thats were the Modern Black terriers owe so much of their ancestory to-Bedlington,id never enter these into my Bedlington breeding,especially as i have the luxury of owning their siblings that are more Bedlington influenced.Its taken me possibly 30 years to get were im at now and again i have the luxury many Working Bedlington breeders do not have,i don,t need to seek an outcross for at least the next 3 generations,as i only breed every 3 or 4 years that will possibly be as far as i wish to carry the breeding,then its up to my lad to carry it on,thats me fecked as he cannot see further than the half crosses and what they offer in the field.

Fair play Morton :thumbs: I didnt realise how far back this breeding went,I thought it was a more recent idea,shame your lad doesnt share your vision,but,as he ages you never know,I think we all" re asses"things as we get older,ATB Dave. Have you got any pics ?

My lad is vulpine orientated as to become obsessive,he as only 3 outlooks in life,fitness training, a lurcher that hates fox with a vengeance and terriers that are as fit as him and have the lurchers outlook,then must work at least 3 days a week at it,tunnel vision,at his age i liked beer,women,dogs and hunting,dogs that beer intoduced you to and more beer,then a little hung over hunting activity,often the most productive?,the amount of times ive got rid of an hangover through a little lamping,priceless,the amount of times ive crawled into a little grasssy nook whilst the sober souls dug to the terrier below,happy days,i think.

• Like 2

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Unbelievable thread with some great info, photos and discussion... Hats off to you lads that have made this thread one of the best on here! The bedlington has always fascinated me but as its already been said not easy finding the good stuff!

At what point does x bred stop/start becoming a Bedlington :hmm: This topic fascinates me for some reason :laugh: Is a 3/4 collie /grey a working Greyhound?or a lurcher? If I put a 1st cross patt/border over a border,will I have a Working Border....??? Ive no problem with people breeding what they like and Im sure they must be doing the job,but I wouldn't kid myself and call them Bedlingtons....and the argument of having fell/lakie in their ancestry so its ok to introduce more don't wash with me either,they are hybrids ,if they breed true give them a name "Linty Terrier" lolol sorry couldn't resist :icon_redface: Im not anti Bedlington by the way,did a lot with one 30+years ago,fantastic dog (till it was stolen :censored: ) I just don't think this will "save" the breed as a working dog,bastardising it to enable it to do its job...

All dogs are mongrels,fact,all breed types,be that Great Dane,Cocker Spaniel,Jack Russel etc.etc. are line bred to produce a specific type of canine.The KC in its infinite wisdom set breed standards that are at odds with a Working Standard.The hybrid Bedlingtons about now are much closer to the ORIGINAL in character and TYPE than the vast majority of the so called KC pure breds,the majority of which have hidden lineage that the breeders wish to disguise.Thus in my mind anything that looks and works like the early Bedlingtons is better befitting the name than the vast majority of their modern cousins.Its naive to get bogged down with pedigrees and purity,there never was a pure bred jukel,just some that are bred to fit a certain breed standard.The majority of breeds are less than a couple of centuries old,in that time the odd pinch of this and that as been sprinkled into the lineage to carry the line,thus modern Bedlingtons sprinkled with some of their ancestory are possibly more pure than some others?.Its about breeding a type of terrier that befits its name and breeding as a working terrier,if it looks and grafts like a Bedlington and breeds to type then its a Bedlington,if it looks and grafts like a Bedlington and does not breed to type,then its a work in progress,yet is more important to the survival of the Bedlington than any KC bred rubbish masquerading under false pretence.

How true to type are they breeding Morton?Once again I must stress,Im not crabbing your dogs,Im genuinly interested :thumbs: How level are litters,size,colour and conformation wise Cheers, Dave

The Bedlington gene is very influential in any outcross,ive half x,s that are very Rothburyish,the second generation they are as near to the idyll Bedlington as any out there,then they breed true to type every time,the Outcross needs to be as pure as its possible to get,i used a red Fell bitch bred down from many generations of the same,ive yet to throw a red pup in the breeding,such is the Beddy influence.The Bedlington is higher on the leg than the majority of working terriers,always was,thus you look for that in the breeding.Ive yet to breed a dog over 15" or a bitch over 14" and a 1lb in weight ratio,working fit.I heavily line breed to get what i desire,ive at least 5 generations here that are typey and honest,the ones i graft,ive a couple of Bitches that my wife and daughter took on that im not allowed to work,ill happily breed from them as i know their history.Some of the half crosses throw to the Fell in type,yet retain the Black Beddy influence,thats were the Modern Black terriers owe so much of their ancestory to-Bedlington,id never enter these into my Bedlington breeding,especially as i have the luxury of owning their siblings that are more Bedlington influenced.Its taken me possibly 30 years to get were im at now and again i have the luxury many Working Bedlington breeders do not have,i don,t need to seek an outcross for at least the next 3 generations,as i only breed every 3 or 4 years that will possibly be as far as i wish to carry the breeding,then its up to my lad to carry it on,thats me fecked as he cannot see further than the half crosses and what they offer in the field.

Fair play Morton :thumbs: I didnt realise how far back this breeding went,I thought it was a more recent idea,shame your lad doesnt share your vision,but,as he ages you never know,I think we all" re asses"things as we get older,ATB Dave. Have you got any pics ?

My lad is vulpine orientated as to become obsessive,he as only 3 outlooks in life,fitness training, a lurcher that hates fox with a vengeance and terriers that are as fit as him and have the lurchers outlook,then must work at least 3 days a week at it,tunnel vision,at his age i liked beer,women,dogs and hunting,dogs that beer intoduced you to and more beer,then a little hung over hunting activity,often the most productive?,the amount of times ive got rid of an hangover through a little lamping,priceless,the amount of times ive crawled into a little grasssy nook whilst the sober souls dug to the terrier below,happy days,i think.

:laugh: Ah,the joys of youth.... :thumbs: We used to jump on the bus ,a ferret a piece in a pillow case,a spade and the bedlington and see how the day panned out,come home when we were starving :laugh:

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just been reading through this it started ages ago and still going strong, good to see some lads are still keeping the proper working lines going, bumped in to morton at a show this summer and he had pair with him they looked crackers. and i can really see myself owning a few very time soon

lets just hope the breed keeps going strong in the right hands :thumbs:

• Like 1

I liked Bedlingtons and the is history in working, and the places the came from and time and over breeds and men in that era. But i don't think the were or are a ( earth dog) , as the chest was like a whippet) ?

i dont know enough to comment but im sure that the beddy was the base of most fell types,i dont think they are what people class as a earth dog these days but the role of the terrier has changed a lot from what it used to be. on regards to the chest its more of a deep/narrow chest that was common in rock dogs/fell types.a big barrel chest would be no good in the fells

• Like 1

trust me pablo there good earthdogs dug to 3 today good result knackered now

i remember ted and the time time he went to bite me as I got him out the truck

Ted was a one off very very good earthdog but he wasn t the friendlyist he d eat you as soon as look at you

• Like 2