Personal protection Lurchers?

I've got a Bull x bitch that will bite but only through play. She doesn't have much in the way of natural guarding instinct and barks very little.

I've seen a lot of Bull terriers that are protection trained and known of a fair few Collies that were complete b+sterds for biting and I wondered if these traits would or have carried over to a Lurcher.

I can remember a Collie x that was a nightmare for biting and I'm sure in this day and age it would of been PTS.

you've seen collies trained as protection dogs?

yep they do train collies as pp dogs ask someone in the know ... the only reason i know is a member on this site told me

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You do realise the the A key is on the other end of the keyboard no ?

what a pants thread, when wasnt it enough to go out and catch some gear with your muts but now it has to become your personal bodyguard too!

a lurcher is a running dog not a guard dog. dogs for jobs lads ffs what a load of bollocks this thread is what next my pit can kill 3/3 on the fens

Iv seen some vicious collies kept by farmers. Be a brave man to approach one of them.

I've got a Bull x bitch that will bite but only through play. She doesn't have much in the way of natural guarding instinct and barks very little.

I've seen a lot of Bull terriers that are protection trained and known of a fair few Collies that were complete b+sterds for biting and I wondered if these traits would or have carried over to a Lurcher.

I can remember a Collie x that was a nightmare for biting and I'm sure in this day and age it would of been PTS.

yep they do train collies as pp dogs ask someone in the know ... the only reason i know is a member on this site told me

Yep. I have seen some vicious collies kept on farmland. You would be a brave man to confront one.

you've seen collies trained as protection dogs? or just the nervy, nasty, snappy types? I wouldn't want that trait in any dog, not a chance!! some of the collies I've seen are proper unpredictable, they're sort of half cowering and you never know when the fookin things are going to snap.

No, not seen Collies trained a PPD, just one's that were not afraid to bite.

If you look on Youtube there are Boxers, Labs and all sorts of trained biters.

There is a fellow that I've used for training bite work, that has Springer trained to the sleeve and it's a proper maniac.

Iv seen some vicious collies kept by farmers. Be a brave man to approach one of them.

Yep. I have seen some vicious collies kept on farmland. You would be a brave man to confront one.

would the average border collie stand up to an 18 stone man booting it though? fair enough it'd give you a nasty bite but I wouldn't have thought they were big enough to be a proper protection dog?

would the average border collie stand up to an 18 stone man booting it though? fair enough it'd give you a nasty bite but I wouldn't have thought they were big enough to be a proper protection dog?

Maybe so. The farm I saw them on would keep about 5 of them though. They wouldn't be my first choice, but when a dog is showing teeth and trying to break the chain it's on it's enough of a deterrent for me anyway.

Edited by Matt3699

you've seen collies trained as protection dogs? or just the nervy, nasty, snappy types? I wouldn't want that trait in any dog, not a chance!! some of the collies I've seen are proper unpredictable, they're sort of half cowering and you never know when the fookin things are going to snap.

No, not seen Collies trained a PPD, just one's that were not afraid to bite.

If you look on Youtube there are Boxers, Labs and all sorts of trained biters.

There is a fellow that I've used for training bite work, that has Springer trained to the sleeve and it's a proper maniac.

half of being a ppd is the deterent a bite should be the last option and with the best will in the world I arent going to run away from a lab or springer barking at me

You can train any dog but like said its wether they actually have the minerals to not flap it and run when the going gets tough!

We're not talking heavy pressure work, we're talking Lurchers. Saying that I know of a man that has a 90lb 1/2 x Bull/Greyhound and that likes the sleeve and I'm sure that would take some stopping :D

tr@ined security gu@rd dog i presumed he ment

You do realise the the A key is on the other end of the keyboard no ?

of course lol its broke @long with "w" fooked @sell f@ir @nnoying :wallbash:

lol ive got a missing a key,but it still works if you press hard enough