Sign in to follow this  
WorkingBullandTerrier

English Bull Terriers

19 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I have no hands on experience with trials or ebt.I have seen a variety of different breeds work coyote otter and hog.In my opinion it's different styles and very few will tolerate the punishment from  all of them.The first lurcher I seen was from England and could kill coyotes impressively.When tried on a 100lb hog he received a small puncture in the shoulder let go and went and sat down by his owner.The Englishman had a good laugh and renamed the dog pinky😂

The first otter I ever encountered was with my father and a good jag bitch he had hog hunted for years.She had never cried from hogcut.When an otter pinched her on the nose she shit herself and squealed.In my opinion there's a big difference between getting cut with a pocketknife and having a beartrap clamp down on your nose.Theres 3 spots that a "good"dog will cry or quit from getting bit is the nose,toes and inside the ear.A 15 lb American otter will cull more dogs for you than 150lb boar.Just my opinion from what I've seen.Sorry back on topic 

Tread lightly DC or greb will call you a liar 😂

Just saying like😁

A terrier that goes to ground stays till dug to for sometimes hrs against quarry that alot the time out weighs them are in a league of there own.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I have no hands on experience with trials or ebt.I have seen a variety of different breeds work coyote otter and hog.In my opinion it's different styles and very few will tolerate the punishment from  all of them.The first lurcher I seen was from England and could kill coyotes impressively.When tried on a 100lb hog he received a small puncture in the shoulder let go and went and sat down by his owner.The Englishman had a good laugh and renamed the dog pinky😂

The first otter I ever encountered was with my father and a good jag bitch he had hog hunted for years.She had never cried from hogcut.When an otter pinched her on the nose she shit herself and squealed.In my opinion there's a big difference between getting cut with a pocketknife and having a beartrap clamp down on your nose.Theres 3 spots that a "good"dog will cry or quit from getting bit is the nose,toes and inside the ear.A 15 lb American otter will cull more dogs for you than 150lb boar.Just my opinion from what I've seen.Sorry back on topic 

Haven't you been out hunting with James Hinks? 😂

• Haha 1

I reckon a badger is rougher than an otter, but its the way trials ware set up and the rules ,, back when they ware  trialed, it was run  as close to natural earth as possible , and dogs had to work nose to nose , unable to use their size , they would be disqualified if they growled or squealed or gave impression they hesitated to get into grips straight away all in the dark , in a 11 x 11 inch space ,,40 feet long , with 45 degree turns and false branches , and a time limit to reach the badger , most dogs entered at a trials would be good dogs in the field , but the rules of the trials made it hard for them to qualify

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stonewall said:

pitbulls,were they ever used in the trials.

Now that could be the start of an argument.

1 hour ago, Rickshaw swami said:

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Just saying like😁

Don't diss the 'relentless' one  😦

Edited by shaaark

26 minutes ago, Carlovian said:

I reckon a badger is rougher than an otter, but its the way trials ware set up and the rules ,, back when they ware  trialed, it was run  as close to natural earth as possible , and dogs had to work nose to nose , unable to use their size , they would be disqualified if they growled or squealed or gave impression they hesitated to get into grips straight away all in the dark , in a 11 x 11 inch space ,,40 feet long , with 45 degree turns and false branches , and a time limit to reach the badger , most dogs entered at a trials would be good dogs in the field , but the rules of the trials made it hard for them to qualify

You just have to look at the amount of cur breeds that will tackle a boar, finding dogs that will do the same face to face with a badger is a whole new ball game IMO. 

2 hours ago, Carlovian said:

well .all I was saying the bull terriers in general ware not good enough ( game enough )  for trials ,, Iam sure size comes into it with Boar hunting , I doubt Bull terriers are any better than Dogos , American Bulldogs , or Pit bulls or bull lurchers at boar hunting , never seen any post a video of one on one, its usually 3-4 dogs on the boar

https://m.(!64.56:886/watch/?v=2607605902851868&_rdr
There’s the odd vid Out there of one dog on pigs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stonewall said:

pitbulls,were they ever used in the trials.

I don't think so.. but  Wheatens  are  same size as Pit Bulls , so would be no reason they could not have been used

Edited by Carlovian

1 minute ago, Carlovian said:

I don't think so.. but  Wheatens  are  same size as Pit Bulls , so would be no reason they could not have been used

From what little reading I have done it said that in the trials the dog must remain silent is this true Mr Carlovian?

If so I doubt the bulldog (apbt) would have qualified as they aren't silent in the work as a general rule.

6 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I think you will find more dogs that will tackle a boar than you would that would meet a badger face to face. 

Pig hunting comes naturally to most dogs,even my whippets have to be held back if pigs are about for their own safety as they have grabbed pigs before and got dragged through scrub.The same dogs pretend they don't see feral cats when out ferreting,lol.

• Haha 1