deer dogs (preban)

Right, putting it out there..... Has anyone ever witnessed a single dog taking down a red stag? I don't think it's possible.

Lol its hard enough stopping a good fallow buck let alone a stag. Even with 2 dogs theres normally a lamp or fence involved .......
Exactly mate :thumbs:

But saying that i have alot of respect for the men and dogs who have done it ......

• Like 1

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

On the original question at the start of the thread....best dog i ever seen taking roe regularly single handed was a beddie/greyxcollie/grey...it stood 26"tts an was schooled with an experienced sal/greyxcollie/grey...from a few months old it was taken along an let shown the older dog flush course an catch the deer where possible...it was allowed in on the kill to get used to sights smells etc...once fully matured both physically an mentally it was allowed to start working deer...first few courses seen the young dog basically grab any extremitie it could an taking a good few headbutts an kicks before it learned properly how to get a deer on the deck whilst running then take "hold"....it eventually totally surpassed the older dog ...dont get me wrong it missed some as well ,be it down to the deer basically outrunning the dog or any number of different factors....but its a feeling you never ever forget..anybody who tells you deer are easy has obviously never spent enough time in pursuit of them...anybody who has spent time hunting or observing deer will tell you otherwise...

• Like 1

why anyone would want to do it is beyond me........... ;)

its cruel and pointless imo...........if ten dogos and a pit bull wont hold one.......what chance does a single greyhound x have............ :hmm:

Edited by lurcher1

about 5 or 6 of them dogs are just milling around though only a couple looked like they really meant business the others were just there

all out of breath.........f****d from chasing an animal that they cant kill and it wont give up..........ive read somewhere that "hunt" went on for nearly an hour and a half...........and still the stag was trying to get away............poor fecker.......... :thumbdown:

about 5 or 6 of them dogs are just milling around though only a couple looked like they really meant business the others were just there

all out of breath.........f****d from chasing an animal that they cant kill and it wont give up..........ive read somewhere that "hunt" went on for nearly an hour and a half...........and still the stag was trying to get away............poor fecker.......... :thumbdown:

must have been no fences nearby :whistling:

As I heard you didnt have too much luck here in ireland wit yourDEER OR VENISON DOGS

Nope...I had a bad time of it...but i went and I did it but I got my arse spanked when the dog i had (R.I.P) jacked.

But...you know, at least I'm honest about the dog being not good enough and, best of all, at least i went out and ran my dog on the two largest species in the daytime on the open ground. I tried. i failed. that's about the truth of the matter. No big secret, i've wrote about it before. It was the adventure...that what it;'s all about....the adventure is everything......but, that's only one man's opinion....

Gotta try in order to fail. More than most will ever do.

• Like 2

bottom line wild animal runs day or night, but dont kid yeself leave em on buck in rutt not 1 but many then ye see if ye have decent deer dog and thats a fact

your little mate is as bad as a rutting buck when he sees a fat bird dressed in pink...

Poor poor pinky. She's been ruined by a midget.

As I heard you didnt have too much luck here in ireland wit yourDEER OR VENISON DOGS

Nope...I had a bad time of it...but i went and I did it but I got my arse spanked when the dog i had (R.I.P) jacked.But...you know, at least I'm honest about the dog being not good enough and, best of all, at least i went out and ran my dog on the two largest species in the daytime on the open ground. I tried. i failed. that's about the truth of the matter. No big secret, i've wrote about it before. It was the adventure...that what it;'s all about....the adventure is everything......but, that's only one man's opinion....
Gotta try in order to fail. More than most will ever do.
good point....youve got to be in it to win it...dog i spoke of earlier,seen him miss quite a few as well as the countless ones he put on the deck....god loves a trier lol...

I'm hoping I can speak with experience on red stags within the next couple of months. I have a dog here that took a red hind single handed, but that was one and like j Darcy said its not like I can speak from experience if I haven't done it regularly. I have the properties and all I need is my license and ill be out there!