deer dogs (preban)

No fair play pal never heard dog jacked I heard you had a bitch who lost a load of teeth. And ye I also heard you wanted the big fella credit were its due lad. Not many honest lads on here. Fair play fo ye

Well,it was a dog that lost all its teeth, but the red is a fair animal for one on one....so thats just how it goes. The dog i had jacked, he won't jack ever again though. :thumbs: .. What I will say is, back in the day (pre ban) i had a 100% slip to catch rate with my old dog....over a couple of visits...so they ain't all been shit... :laugh:

I don't mind failing,in fact, it makes for a better hunt, but i do like to try at least.... obviously, this is all in the past, way, way, in the past... :thumbs:

had the best times of my life on the heather-covered hills,,,,,,proper hunting IMO

What were you trying to prove running a red stag with 1 dog? Was it just done to fill pages? Or was it to boast your dog could do it? Total disrespect for your hunting companion and quarry. I'm glad to hear your dog failing makes for a better hunt for you. You must have loved it losing its teeth. Ahhhh the adventure of it all......it's a funny old game this hunting, folk contradicting themselves depending on quarry..... People boasting of traveling all over for deer feel superior to others who don't. And yet, if the quarry is the humble hare....... You can spend your life on the fens and become a coursing god........ go figure.

You've got a few things wrong there...as per.

I wasn't running a red stag. It wasn't my dog that lost some teeth.

We went for the challenge, the hunt and to see what was what. And let me tell you one thing, looking back, I can honestly say, hand on heart, that it's a far better experience going out and trying hunting differing quarry on differing terrain than it is sat on the internet arguing about it......you wanna try it sometimes....

I don't feel superior to anyone, the dog I had that occasion was a jacker remember, but my opinions are generally based on experience.

• Like 2

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

No fair play pal never heard dog jacked I heard you had a bitch who lost a load of teeth. And ye I also heard you wanted the big fella credit were its due lad. Not many honest lads on here. Fair play fo ye

Well,it was a dog that lost all its teeth, but the red is a fair animal for one on one....so thats just how it goes. The dog i had jacked, he won't jack ever again though. :thumbs: .. What I will say is, back in the day (pre ban) i had a 100% slip to catch rate with my old dog....over a couple of visits...so they ain't all been shit... :laugh:

I don't mind failing,in fact, it makes for a better hunt, but i do like to try at least.... obviously, this is all in the past, way, way, in the past... :thumbs:

had the best times of my life on the heather-covered hills,,,,,,proper hunting IMO

What were you trying to prove running a red stag with 1 dog? Was it just done to fill pages? Or was it to boast your dog could do it? Total disrespect for your hunting companion and quarry. I'm glad to hear your dog failing makes for a better hunt for you. You must have loved it losing its teeth. Ahhhh the adventure of it all......it's a funny old game this hunting, folk contradicting themselves depending on quarry..... People boasting of traveling all over for deer feel superior to others who don't. And yet, if the quarry is the humble hare....... You can spend your life on the fens and become a coursing god........ go figure.

We went for the challenge, the hunt and to see what was what. And let me tell you one thing, looking back, I can honestly say, hand on heart, that it's a far better experience going out and trying hunting differing quarry on differing terrain than it is sat on the internet arguing about it......you wanna try it sometimes....

I don't feel superior to anyone, the dog I had that occasion was a jacker remember, but my opinions are generally based on experience.

:laugh: your right Darcy, I don't hunt, fish, ferret, canoe, camp, don't have horses....... Always makes me chuckle when someone who has to document everything they do, thinks anyone who doesn't, does nothing. I'll bet a £ to a penny I've seen more red deer getting run than you :yes: not single handed though, only weekend fools are that dumb.

• Like 1

:laugh: your right Darcy, I don't hunt, fish, ferret, canoe, camp, don't have horses....... Always makes me chuckle when someone who has to document everything they do, thinks anyone who doesn't, does nothing. I'll bet a £ to a penny I've seen more red deer getting run than you :yes: not single handed though, only weekend fools are that dumb.

You're the daddy!!

You're the daddy!!

I'm one of those too, how do I find the time.. ..nothing great about reds, f***ing millions of them up here as you know. I'll ask again, why did you run reds single handed please, just curious?

You're the daddy!!

I'm one of those too, how do I find the time.. ..nothing great about reds, f*****g millions of them up here as you know. I'll ask again, why did you run reds single handed please, just curious?

:D :D :D

Fairplay Baw you hit nail on the head

Cheers Matt. I know Darcy's done a bit, just don't know why anyone would risk running a red single handed. I know he hasn't caught a fallow buck single handed so was wondering why he ran reds single.

:yes:Them Red Stags are big old things... :icon_eek:

I was on a Scottish Island, back in the day,.and I had two powerful lurchers with me,..one of them had accounted for a fair number of Roe, Sika and Fallow deer,..mostly prickets and Does, and usually after dark,.. :thumbs:

We walked, right up onto the Red Stag.

He rose to his full height,..out of a peat bog,.his antlers covered in moss and hanging debris,..looking like the creature from the Black Lagoon.. :laugh:

By feck,.he was a splendid critter,..and obviously not too bothered by the dogs.

One of the lurchers, had taken an exceptional Roe the night before, and was up for anything ,...however, she did not take much notice of the Stag,..it was as though she did not regard this cow-like creature, to be a legitimate quarry...

The deer stood there, as myself and the lurchers walked on by,...it really was surreal.. :blink:

Personaly, I have never wanted to kill a Red deer,...I've had one or two hinds over in the New Forest,.but my rabbiters have always failed to hold them for long enough, to effect a capture...and as I say,..I'm not really bothered.... :D

Anyway, nice to hear the views of other guys,..real interesting,...

All the best, Chalkwarren..

• Like 4

From my limited experience of running deer before the ban they did silly things day and night like run into fences etc etc especially when they got into a panick.

I've seen them doing that without a dog being even near them mate. Skitterish animals, bit like horses and sheep. Anyhow, what do I know :laugh:

:yes:Them Red Stags are big old things... :icon_eek:

I was on a Scottish Island, back in the day,.and I had two powerful lurchers with me,..one of them had accounted for a fair number of Roe, Sika and Fallow deer,..mostly prickets and Does, and usually after dark,.. :thumbs:

We walked, right up onto the Red Stag.

He rose to his full height,..out of a peat bog,.his antlers covered in moss and hanging debris,..looking like the creature from the Black Lagoon.. :laugh:

By feck,.he was a splendid critter,..and obviously not too bothered by the dogs.

One of the lurchers, had taken an exceptional Roe the night before, and was up for anything ,...however, she did not take much notice of the Stag,..it was as though she did not regard this cow-like creature, to be a legitimate quarry...

The deer stood there, as myself and the lurchers walked on by,...it really was surreal.. :blink:

Personaly, I have never wanted to kill a Red deer,...I've had one or two hinds over in the New Forest,.but my rabbiters have always failed to hold them for long enough, to effect a capture...and as I say,..I'm not really bothered.... :D

Anyway, nice to hear the views of other guys,..real interesting,...

All the best, Chalkwarren..

:laugh: excellent description and post chalky :thumbs:

Right, putting it out there..... Has anyone ever witnessed a single dog taking down a red stag? I don't think it's possible.

Lol its hard enough stopping a good fallow buck let alone a stag. Even with 2 dogs theres normally a lamp or fence involved .......

• Like 1

Right, putting it out there..... Has anyone ever witnessed a single dog taking down a red stag? I don't think it's possible.

Lol its hard enough stopping a good fallow buck let alone a stag. Even with 2 dogs theres normally a lamp or fence involved .......

Exactly mate :thumbs: