What's your opinion on an ideal foxing lurcher ?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was more to a good fox dog than just killing foxes, marking buries, working with terriers, i had one that would quite often show you where to dig when a terrier was in. Above all they must ha

theres nothing great about to 70/80 pound bullxs streching a 14+ pound fox,, if they aint doing it single handed they aint fox dogs simples.....

Pre Ban Photos of wrecking crew dogs - Some people may have seen a few of these pics before but we have albums full of photos like these running pairs what some people have never seen, same dogs three

Posted Images

Any of the fox taking breeds mentioned above, but, one that can work and kill foxes on a regular basis without jacking.

It takes some dog, to take a few foxes on a nights lamping 2 or more times a week, from my experience in the passed. :thumbs:

Some, not all, jack after a while of this amount of work, especially if they don't kill quick and its a drawn out fight!!

Their is a dvd, called the wrecking crew, if you watch some of the dogs carefully, they hang about chasing the fox, not taking it quickly, as them dogs, were worked none stop, taking a lot of foxes during the week, so took their time striking after a while.

Or maybe they just wernt that good in the first place thats why they were constantly doubled up.

Pre Ban Photos of wrecking crew dogs - Some people may have seen a few of these pics before but we have albums full of photos like these running pairs what some people have never seen, same dogs three or four times a week catching 7's 8's 9's on a regular basis. If these dog's were't that good they wouldn't be on any photos and they would have found new owners. These dogs were some of the hardest worked dogs around at the time. Anyway, pity its banned would have liked to have had a few nights out to show you the calibre of dog's were talking about.

• Like 3

Macky what would you ave said was a harder test pre ban 2 dogs doubled up killing 6-8 foxes in a night or 1 dog single handed killing 3-4 foxes

I would think more of a dog that done the 3/4 singlehanded but 7/8 doubled up is good going. It depends on the time of year too any half decent lurcher will kill daft cubs.

As for the perfect fox dog any breed will do the job but they must make the catch at the very first first oppurtunity and stick with it when the going gets tough. I prefer a dog with a lot of sighthound blood 3/4 coursing/greyhound being ideal, I've seen shit loads of bucket head half x that where supposedly 110% fox dogs but they couldnt catch a rabbit in a phone box, although I've seen the odd one that could shift but these are rare imho.

• Like 1

There was more to a good fox dog than just killing foxes, marking buries, working with terriers, i had one that would quite often show you where to dig when a terrier was in.

Above all they must have a passion for their quarry and be prepared to pull one in unfavourable circumstances.

The best ones were tough and clever.

• Like 5

In the late 1980s my uncle had a big deer hound cross he was fawn in colour ( TANGO )killed 7 winter fox single handed, ( TANGO ) son ( GRIFF )killed foxes single handed from the age of 2 and would carry them back to the van he hated foxes, ive seen that dog do some hard graft, he would pick up the scent off the fox and go like a hound, if fox was in ground he would chew the earth and dig like mad. (GRIFF') son and daughter also done there job well . And ive got a grand son to ( GRIFF ) hear now and his brother and sister also going well.

Any of the fox taking breeds mentioned above, but, one that can work and kill foxes on a regular basis without jacking.

It takes some dog, to take a few foxes on a nights lamping 2 or more times a week, from my experience in the passed. :thumbs:

Some, not all, jack after a while of this amount of work, especially if they don't kill quick and its a drawn out fight!!

Their is a dvd, called the wrecking crew, if you watch some of the dogs carefully, they hang about chasing the fox, not taking it quickly, as them dogs, were worked none stop, taking a lot of foxes during the week, so took their time striking after a while.

Or maybe they just wernt that good in the first place thats why they were constantly doubled up.

one could be right mediocre animals needed to be doubled up consistently , on the other hand animals being slowly sickened constantly to the point of watching when to take hold etc , also to my mind animals never entered single to learn a tequnique of how to handle the red .of course we all have a preference and at times the need to take a hold in any given situation will arise its the pickers that seem to stumble at this stage .just my take on it . wich may mean naff all to others . atb bunnys.

theres nothing great about to 70/80 pound bullxs streching a 14+ pound fox,, if they aint doing it single handed they aint fox dogs simples.....

true mate , but how many times have we all been out with the 1 dog, that we know will smash a fox on its own, but its lost the fox that night night for what ever reason.? You begin to think there are enough lamp shy foxes out there, you dont need anymore. So running 2 dogs at least there is greater chance of catching it , and its not the size of the dog it , its if its got the heart for the job.Lets face it a 16lb pat will kill foxes day day out , but i do think have some bull in the lurcher does put more heart in the dog. Ihad a 26in 70lb 1/4 bull 3/4 grey that would do them no prob solo , but did loose few in the night they carnt catch'em all, you will always get more with 2 dogs . :yes: this was all before the Ban .!