Big warrens???

Guest Leveller

Guest Leveller

Just out of interest a subject came up on another thread and I didn't want to hijack that one but the member stated

"Some of my warrens are 500 holers"

I know it's quite easy to get blinkered and the fact it says "some" would suggest he has a few of this size I don't know the area he is in and I certainly haven't ferreted every square inch of this island but out of curiosity do may others have 500 holers they work?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a couple from last night, two steady dogs and not a lead in sight    

How can you know someone by talking in messages and on a forum? People can write and say anything and come over completley different on a forum.   Cookie is a victim of his own bluntness, I think a

Mu mum always said, most of the time it's not what you say that gets you in trouble, but how you say it.

I've got a couple of sites that have had years of rabbit abuse (long reservoir embankments) where warrens have spread into each other. They certainly have a couple of hundred holes but that's what long nets are for.

• Like 1

Bank on my ground looks like a wedge of swiss cheese more holes than i care to count...

Not a place for ferreting in my opinion to deep,sandy and labour intensive..

Better for the riffle :icon_redface:

Got one we do every year during my trips up north between a stone wall and the river that seems to go on forever, always start it at first light armed with longnets stop nets and purse nets, a couple of good dogs and half a dozen ferrets. Start off at one end and keep lifting the ferrets and moving the nets along. Several attempts and we still haven't managed to work it all the way through from end to end but have come close a couple of times. A very productive spot that has been kind to us regarding bag numbers but would love to see it through to the end one day..............without rushing the job.

Never counted the holes.........always been too busy plus i run out of fingers and toes too quickly

Yes done sum huge setts in the past and most of them all being linked somewere . Used to long net 200 yard sections then cross section it into smaller squares and throw down sum purse nets . The purse nets used to catch alot of rabbits back netting . As many ferrets as we could muster were put down at one end and we would try and push the rabbits out in a wave up the sections . It was allways nye on impossible to catch all the rabbits as sum of the network of tunnels was decades old and so exspansive . However we would allways get big bags and the ferrets would graft hard .

Did a 200 plus sett one day and the keeper came over and said you are wasting your time attempting doing that lads . We had set up as mentioned and accounted for 86 rabbits and the keeper not quite believing what he had just seen :laugh:

Biggest I get up north are about 80 holers, although it is surrounded by loads of un connected warrens, so it looks bigger.

I've done some like that, only for the ferret to pop up on the arse of a rabbit in the distance :D

I've ferreted a hedge line of about 200 holes maybe more but it was hard to tell from set to set as it was full of holes but this was hard ferreting we tryed longnetting each side but they just hole hopped it was lovely ground but Mixi had the better of it hopefully there will be a few back there this season .

done a massive embankment around a brickworks last year well over 500yds long and in some places 30+feet high it was a total nightmare ,covered on blackberry bush and thick scrub ,the embankments were very sandy and deep.

we had 6 men 2 dogs 10 ferrets and 4 longnets ,and managed about 10 to 15 rabbits per outing ,ferrets were coming out all over the place and rabbits just hole hopping ,all the warrens were linked ,very hard crap ferreting ,but out with a good set of lads and had a good laugh its not always about numbers .

managed to find a couple of pics fron the day......jim

2011-12-17095740.jpg

2011-12-17093248.jpg

2011-12-17093139.jpg

2011-12-17093113.jpg