Big warrens???

Guest Leveller

Just for the record . . . . . it was mean to be tongue in cheek. I understand that it's not that simple, but if cookie is right and does as much as he says and gets payed what he says he does. . . . then he's doing pretty ok out of it.

I know that certain members on here, work hard, in order to pay their bills, by catching rabbits.

But i think other members just like folk to think they do.

I'm no novice when it comes to the various ways of catching rabbits, but am quite happy to catch a f**k load for free, without the added pressure of being payed to do so. I'm fairly confident if they are there, we will get them.

Aye, payed rabbiters will work places that hobby ferreters might avoid, but i also think it's foolish to think that because someone doesnt get payed for it, they know any less, or are any less capable. Some of the best folk i have seen in any field of hunting, have been those who are simply obsessed with their chosen sport, and turn out to practice it wherever, whatever and whenever.

This is in no way knocking socks of chalkie, as i think they genuinly DO work very hard and get a lot done. And MORE importantly, are not arrogant with it.

understand but when people are doing it as a living .......................and are out all the time...............there going to be at the top of there game..as they depend on it as an income.

i bet its quite tense as a job................and not doing it at leisure for the crack......

i havent done nothing compared to alot of people..............we try proper when we have too...............but in all fairness i like just going out for the crack and enjoy bolting to the dogs.......

what ever people choose so be ..............im looking at it from being a sub contractor and people think its all this and that .....when they dont really know all the out goings etc

its like with the hunt ..........people say id love to be whipper in/master.....................they just see them out with the hounds but the work behind it, is phenominal....................

im glad i do it for a bit of fun.....................as i dont think i could make a living out of it lol :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a couple from last night, two steady dogs and not a lead in sight    

How can you know someone by talking in messages and on a forum? People can write and say anything and come over completley different on a forum.   Cookie is a victim of his own bluntness, I think a

Mu mum always said, most of the time it's not what you say that gets you in trouble, but how you say it.

Intresting replies

True friendship is hard to have in the hunting world as most are either after your perm or if your well know in hunting media trying to ball lick to get the admiraton they so crave from there peers.

By the way chalky great pictures as always :thumbs:

ATB Cookie

I'm just after your 225 quid :thumbs::tongue2:

Not with your mutts fiver yes but johhny worth the £225 :thumbs:

ATB Cookie

Awesome I could buy a locater then. :tongue2:

• Like 2
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Intresting replies

True friendship is hard to have in the hunting world as most are either after your perm or if your well know in hunting media trying to ball lick to get the admiraton they so crave from there peers.

ATB Cookie

ATB Cookie

I give you one a locator that is having heard your anybodys after some white lighting.

ATB Cookie

To be 100% clear Part of my self employment entails rabbit catching mostly in the winter months and drop traps in the spring summer .

I get paid for coney catching but for sure dont earn a living out of it but it keeps the bills paid in them lean winter months .

Happy hunting Cookie

Intresting replies

ATB Cookie

ATB Cookie

:D

Intresting replies

ATB Cookie

ATB Cookie

I give you one a locator that is having heard your anybodys after some white lighting.

ATB Cookie

White Lightning my arse I ain't a chav its Strongbow or nothing for me. :D

Guest Leveller

Saying 500 holers are myths to point of some posting a whole thread to highlight there thoughts that I was talking bollocks .

I feel kinda responsible for that and I'm sorry, I never meant for that to happen.

I simply wanted feedback from the board that's all just to see, I'm sure there are some big places in this land the original statement you made was that SOME of your places are 500 holers I took that as you have quite a few I'm pretty sure they are few and far between not mythical just rare and for somebody to claim they have a few is a little surprising again not mythical just maybe slightly romantic with the truth possibly?.

What really cracked me up was when you stated "Some of my warrens are 500 holers and having two dogs held back to slip is far better than even two good ferreting dogs over the warren as they just cannot postion themselfs in the right place" I'm afraid that statement will probably remain with me as one of the stupidist things I've ever read on the hunting life so congratulations with that :toast:

Anyway to be honest I don't care how big your buries are or how many dogs you have on leads whilst they're working because I bet I've got bigger more fruitful ones with less holes and my dog will continue to let me know if they're worth netting up and then work with me off the lead as we empty them as a team :victory:

• Like 2

Saying 500 holers are myths to point of some posting a whole thread to highlight there thoughts that I was talking bollocks .

I feel kinda responsible for that and I'm sorry, I never meant for that to happen.

I simply wanted feedback from the board that's all just to see, I'm sure there are some big places in this land the original statement you made was that SOME of your places are 500 holers I took that as you have quite a few I'm pretty sure they are few and far between not mythical just rare and for somebody to claim they have a few is a little surprising again not mythical just maybe slightly romantic with the truth possibly?.

What really cracked me up was when you stated "Some of my warrens are 500 holers and having two dogs held back to slip is far better than even two good ferreting dogs over the warren as they just cannot postion themselfs in the right place" I'm afraid that statement will probably remain with me as one of the stupidist things I've ever read on the hunting life so congratulations with that :toast:

Anyway to be honest I don't care how big your buries are or how many dogs you have on leads whilst they're working because I bet I've got bigger more fruitful ones with less holes and my dog will continue to let me know if they're worth netting up and then work with me off the lead as we empty them as a team :victory:

No worries :thumbs:

When you tried dogs on a slip did you find it didnt work for you :hmm:

As for the stupidist things on THL I think thats a bit strong its a method that works when working dogs that dont normally work over ferrets pure sighthounds its not as daft as you may think .

ATB Cookie

As for the stupidist things on THL I think thats a bit strong its a method that works when working dogs that dont normally work over ferrets pure sighthounds its not as daft as you may think .

ATB Cookie

Cookie if you make your money from killing rabbits at £275 per day how do you not have dogs that work with ferrets seeing as it is one of the most important factors needed in being successfull at this game ...........

ATB Cookie

Cookie if you make your money from killing rabbits at £275 per day how do you not have dogs that work with ferrets seeing as it is one of the most important factors needed in being successfull at this game ...........

i will tell you know hes full of it..................... :yes:

Guest Leveller

I've never tried ferreting with dogs on a lead in fact I very rarely even take a lead with me even just exercising let alone when out working and that goes for day or night. I will exercise the earth dogs on a lead but that goes without saying other than that to a rabbiting man a Lurcher on a lead is about as much use to a blind man as a Guide dog off the lead.

The dog has better hearing, better sight, a better nose and it's also a bit quicker than I am these days so to chastice it and believe that I could position it on a bury any place better than it could position itself is verging on the ridiculous. The dog has it's instincts which are geared up for the job years and years of selective breeding have gone into producing the perfect tool for the simple job of putting a few bunnies on the plate so who am I to argue with that. If you're holding dogs back it's because they aren't trained properly or they just aren't the right tool for the job it can't be any simpler. Now I'm not knocking your dogs in anyway they may well excell in your chosen field of work but I will say this and this is my opinion you do not own ferreting dogs if you're stood on a bury and they are on a lead it's that simple.

• Like 1

Only time I have held back dogs (by collar) if working multiple dogs and the rabbits are flying out thick and fast.

No point in two dogs chasing one rabbit, givin others a free run..

Depending on whats going on, I have even let the rabbits get some distance, if they are breaking across a open feilds.

But if its clearance use purse nets,longnets and the dogs are off the collar :laugh:

I admire keen ferreting lads its really hard work, moping up small numbers in thick cover. I am to lazy :icon_redface:

I would make no money ferreting if its not going right, I often like to down tools and look for easier rabbits :laugh:

Very very confused

Have I ever said I as in ME worked my dogs on slips NO :no: Have I posted I have seen others dogs work on slips yes :yes: .

Do I agree that a good fert dog over you average size bury should be loose yes :yes:

I do not work MY dog or dogs in this way I have watched other who soley lamp there dogs who have a tendancy to be sight driven and lose the plot when loose over a bury kepet on a slip and be effective .

Would I want one like that no but they have there place.

As for dog being inportant to pest control its tool yes but a rifle gas drop traps and phostoxin will kill more coneys than any dog :thumbs: .

ATB Cookie