LABRADOR GREYHOUND ANYONE HAVE THIS CROSS

Hello there !

We think our beautiful 2 year old pedigree lab, Bess is pregnant after mating with our neighbours greyhound ! We spoke with our neighbour who told us that they got their dog from Battersea and was told he was greyhound collie cross. We was going to breed bess with another KC reg Lab as she has just turned 2 but unfortunately she escaped and now we believe she is expecting althought this is not confirmed. Bess is from a very good gundog background. Because of the mix the puppies will be we are worried that if we let her have the litter no one will want them. Any advice please ?

Hello rosebud, i hope you have a thick skin as what you have allowed to happen is considered by many as a terrible mistake. First of all your bitch is only 2 years old, im assuming she is just a pet and has done nothing, therefore to many people involved in working dogs she hasn't done anything to make her worth breeding from, you also let a dog with no guarrenteed breeding(possible greyhound or collie cross) that also appears to not have been worked. For most, including me the responsible to do as an owner was to have taken the bitch to a vet and have the injection to abort the litter. IF both parents had been working dogs then this litter may have taken the interest of one or two people, unfortunately you have attributed to the overpopulation of unwanted dogs and more than likely these pups will be passed from pillar to post and be taking the place in the rescue kennels were the sire came from........

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met a Drakeshead bred bitch at our local feed store the other day, with her dam. The moment I saw the bitch I saw 'lurcher'. Sharp as a razor, lightly built and with that sort of questing intelligence

I have a lab dog that imo would be perfect for producing lurchers..... His drive is second to none he tracks when out with the rifle works in the beating line picks up marks and kills rats and has bee

I know, what you say is true. Bess is a much loved pet. We had always intended on letting her have pups with another labrador and thats why we had yet to have had her done. She was only 2 in December

Posted Images

I know, what you say is true. Bess is a much loved pet. We had always intended on letting her have pups with another labrador and thats why we had yet to have had her done. She was only 2 in December and we had called the breeder we got her from to discuss having a litter. Unfortunatley even though we tried our best to avoid her escaping she jumped from the boot of my car as i opened it. We have talked it through with several breeders and yourself and agree that the kindest thing to all involved is to give her the injection. She is booked in for today at 4.30. Be rest assured we will do everything to prevent this happening again. Thanks for your honesty !

• Like 6

I know, what you say is true. Bess is a much loved pet. We had always intended on letting her have pups with another labrador and thats why we had yet to have had her done. She was only 2 in December and we had called the breeder we got her from to discuss having a litter. Unfortunatley even though we tried our best to avoid her escaping she jumped from the boot of my car as i opened it. We have talked it through with several breeders and yourself and agree that the kindest thing to all involved is to give her the injection. She is booked in for today at 4.30. Be rest assured we will do everything to prevent this happening again. Thanks for your honesty !

Accidents happen, had it happen myself and it cost me £80 to have the injection but it was the correct choice, and i think you have also made the sensible and correct choice, well done :thumbs:

Hello there !

We think our beautiful 2 year old pedigree lab, Bess is pregnant after mating with our neighbours greyhound ! We spoke with our neighbour who told us that they got their dog from Battersea and was told he was greyhound collie cross. We was going to breed bess with another KC reg Lab as she has just turned 2 but unfortunately she escaped and now we believe she is expecting althought this is not confirmed. Bess is from a very good gundog background. Because of the mix the puppies will be we are worried that if we let her have the litter no one will want them. Any advice please ?

i had a lurcher bred very similar to the ones your bitch might be having and i would have another any day of the week. if it turned out to be half the dog my old bitch was and it would be some animal. :thumbs: atb with what ever decision you make about the pups.

good cross in the right hands , atb bunnys.

The cross isn't 100% though as the breeding of the sire is unknown, aslo reading between the lines neither work, these would just be pups from untested parents in a saturated market where dogs are often treated like tools and passed around like stamps, best option is the injection which she is doing :thumbs:

• Like 2

Hello there !

Yes.......take up knitting and forget about dogs!!

• Like 1

A lad i know had one years ago, a working gundog lab was the sire and a sound distance greyhound the dam, the pup he kept went on to take all quarry and plenty of it, a real good tough bitch, so get the right parents n you could get some superb alrounders in the right hands..

allthoe the lab is used for shooting persuits and does it very well, the breed was bred for retreiving fishing nets in labrador novascotia hence the name, they allways seem steady in the right hands and allthoe they wont have the speed of the collie i do think they would realy give a good deal to a lurcher perhaps the gentleman of lurchers just what i need now im getting older lol

The cross isn't 100% though as the breeding of the sire is unknown, aslo reading between the lines neither work, these would just be pups from untested parents in a saturated market where dogs are often treated like tools and passed around like stamps, best option is the injection which she is doing :thumbs:

slight misunderstanding what was meant to say the lab x grey good x inthe right hands . atb bunnys.

slight misunderstanding what was meant to say the lab x grey good x inthe right hands . atb bunnys.

I agree, it a cross i'd try :thumbs:

Does anybody have any pictures, I remember seeing a couple in Ted Walsh's Lurchers and Longdogs book. I reckon it could be an excellent starting point for a line of lurchers. I've seen a few extremely lean, fit and agile bitches that were crying for a greyhound to be put over them, both were Drakeshead breeding by the way. A mate of mine also had 2 Drakeshead males and I'll tell you what, the guarding instinct was unbelievable towards the motor. Don't know if this is usually the case though.

• 1 year later...