LABRADOR GREYHOUND ANYONE HAVE THIS CROSS

Right guys,

I have had a look at things at home and decided to wait till summer for the mating. She is regular twice a year and I would expect to be looking at July for mating. I spoke to Maxhardcore and he has a choice of two greys for sire. I don't know enough about lurchers to make an informed decision which dog to use so if people who are interested have a preference then it might be worth guys speaking to Maxhh too.

I've good experience breeding, my last litter of GWP's had 14 pups -which was too many-on a double cover mating. I will only go for a single cover and hope to rear about six pups. Most of the ball ache of breeding is dealing with selling them so I would prefer to get ahead of the game by getting together a list of people who will have one. I would prefer the bitches to go to guys with experience breeding because my gut tells me that the first cross grey X lab offspring would probably best being covered by a male whippet.

We could do with someone with a good greyhound bitch for Butlers lab to cover so that we have some more genes in the pool. Derry Argue (Advie gundogs) told me a few years ago that you need to run two parallel breeding lines, an A and a B, and don't cross them over. I don't know if he's still alive but I'll get in touch with him again.

I'm happy to do this at cost so I feel we should be upfront about who is in line for a pup so that this involves reliable guys and gals who aren't just after a cheap pup.

My first choice wouldn't be a pure greyhound mate, the right grew, with a light but tall frame should cut down the muscle mass/weight of the pups a bit, and some lads use grews as lurchers, they'd have more idea about the dogs mentality or lack of it than a grey just running round a track. You're only putting the engine in, the lab would see to the brains, starting with something a bit lighter in the first place might produce more useful first x's?

I'm doing the same thing using spaniel blood, we've got two 5 year old bitches, litter sisters, first x whipp/span, both athletic, stamina to burn, but need another dose of runner to make useful little rabbit dogs.

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met a Drakeshead bred bitch at our local feed store the other day, with her dam. The moment I saw the bitch I saw 'lurcher'. Sharp as a razor, lightly built and with that sort of questing intelligence

I have a lab dog that imo would be perfect for producing lurchers..... His drive is second to none he tracks when out with the rifle works in the beating line picks up marks and kills rats and has bee

I know, what you say is true. Bess is a much loved pet. We had always intended on letting her have pups with another labrador and thats why we had yet to have had her done. She was only 2 in December

Posted Images

THATS one thing that comes so natural is retreiving and they will do it consistently,my lab greyhound bitch retreived a cock pheasant which i shot at night which droped into a pool still alive 50 yards in the middle,she couldnt get there quick enough luckely for me

No problem there mate retrieve of water and jump a gate with game still in the mouth.Then straight to hand un trained awesome really

• Like 1