• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that will be 100% fact FTB

He only took them ducks for the QUACK neil.

Just out of intrest how are irish badgers different in their habits than British ones?

Stuntman, regarding the American badger. They are a VERY aggresive animal. Have you ever seen the footage of one pulling the camera out of the camera mans hands. It just shot out of it's burrow and flew straight at the camera. It's often been said too that they go for the genitalia when attacked. Ouch.

But, FACT, several terriers that didn't make the grade over on these shores as fox dogs have been sent to the states and have gone on to make their name as badger dogs in the states.

However I'm long enough talking to American terriermen to know that because the American badger is mostly confined to the Western states and is very nomadic in nature that there isn't to many men in the states that hunt them on a regular basis.

Also in the natural history museum in Dublin there are 3 specimens of American badgers and they are smaller than the European badger.

But you's can dig them and we don't, it's well for you's. LOL.

Neil-Cmon man...a failed fox dog made a badger dog? There is no way, and it dont matter if they failed on fox here or there, I dont believe they would make a badger dog either place. I think as Stuntman said, the odds that folks here were really digging badger enough to call it a "badger dog" is very unlikely. Almost all the US folks that talk of badger have never actually layed eyes on one, and fewer still have ever had a dog on one, let alone a proper dig to one, IMO. I probably caught more badger than 99% of US terriermen, and I wouldnt call myself a terrierman, or say I ever owned a badger dog.

A couple good friends of mine have dug badger there, and here, and said they had little in commen other than the name and the fact that terriers arent going to be killing them...LOL

Take care.

Mosby you say an otter buzzed through your mate's dogs killing several of them,how many were to ground with it and what were they.I personally think thats pure bullshit as an otter is not as hard as badger,or as tough skinned and if this did happen which i doubt very much then your mates dogs must be shite earth dogs.When you look back at some terriers that were used for diging otter,what you have said is pure nonsence.Ok their tough and as fast as fox to hit underground,but any decent terrier should be well fit to hold one at bay.JMO.

fat man-I think Mosby is full of shit to...BUT, agree with what he said on otters and terriers... :doh: If a terrier goes headfirst into an otter in a stop end, its going to get ate up. The otter will bolt given the chance, but forced to fight it will make most terriers sing, and will leave many that dont laying. At least thats what happens here in the US... ;) Keeping one bayed up with a terrier is not much more impressive than doing it with a beagle, IMO.

Take care.

But, FACT, several terriers that didn't make the grade over on these shores as fox dogs have been sent to the states and have gone on to make their name as badger dogs in the states.

Unless its some kinda confidential shit or something I dont know about........give me a name that told you these FACTS and we will all find out just how factual these phony fuckers are. I'd say before you go stating FACTS find out if the man givin you these facts aint as full of shit as the day is long. I love stories about facts, they make my day.

Stuntman, regarding the American badger. They are a VERY aggresive animal. Have you ever seen the footage of one pulling the camera out of the camera mans hands. It just shot out of it's burrow and flew straight at the camera. It's often been said too that they go for the genitalia when attacked. Ouch.

However I'm long enough talking to American terriermen to know that because the American badger is mostly confined to the Western states and is very nomadic in nature that there isn't to many men in the states that hunt them on a regular basis.

Also in the natural history museum in Dublin there are 3 specimens of American badgers and they are smaller than the European badger.

Neil-Cmon man...a failed fox dog made a badger dog? There is no way, and it dont matter if they failed on fox here or there, I dont believe they would make a badger dog either place. I think as Stuntman said, the odds that folks here were really digging badger enough to call it a "badger dog" is very unlikely. Almost all the US folks that talk of badger have never actually layed eyes on one, and fewer still have ever had a dog on one, let alone a proper dig to one, IMO. I probably caught more badger than 99% of US terriermen, and I wouldnt call myself a terrierman, or say I ever owned a badger dog.

A couple good friends of mine have dug badger there, and here, and said they had little in commen other than the name and the fact that terriers arent going to be killing them...LOL

Take care.

Well Doc,

Long time no talk, I do know you've had your fair shair of run ins with yankee brock.

Didn't Kabuki Joe have a few with his Cowan bred lakelands ? And around the same time I remember a patterdale type making it into the Hall of Fame that's over there because it was dug to badger, I think the badger died afterwards. The photos showed the terriers owner holding the dead badger. This was about 10 years. The terrier was direct of B.N. if I remember correctly.

Doc these are cases where I wouldn't dispute the owners claims.

But yeh, there's probably been a few lies told too.

While out walking terrier's earlier on along the bank of the local river i spotted a big dog otter,well i say dog as it looked big on the oppisite bank about 100yds down from me eating what looked like a spent salmon as the river is only a spawning river.It spotted me and was in the water and disappeared in a flash.Lovely looking animal great to see them.They were a good challenge for a terrier to ground pre ban.I seen a lot of them killed in eel nets down through the years,sad ending for such a nice animal.

we got a few here, they can get to some size :thumbs:

there was one found dead up by me , its a shame really as there havent been any around here for donkey years , hope the do come back tho be nice to see a few around and deffanatly a good challenge for the dogs in the old days my uncle had a few

atb

While out walking terrier's earlier on along the bank of the local river i spotted a big dog otter,well i say dog as it looked big on the oppisite bank about 100yds down from me eating what looked like a spent salmon as the river is only a spawning river.It spotted me and was in the water and disappeared in a flash.Lovely looking animal great to see them.They were a good challenge for a terrier to ground pre ban.I seen a lot of them killed in eel nets down through the years,sad ending for such a nice animal.

we got a few here, they can get to some size :thumbs:

there was one found dead up by me , its a shame really as there havent been any around here for donkey years , hope the do come back tho be nice to see a few around and deffanatly a good challenge for the dogs in the old days my uncle had a few

atb

Mosby you say an otter buzzed through your mate's dogs killing several of them,how many were to ground with it and what were they.I personally think thats pure bullshit as an otter is not as hard as badger,or as tough skinned and if this did happen which i doubt very much then your mates dogs must be shite earth dogs.When you look back at some terriers that were used for diging otter,what you have said is pure nonsence.Ok their tough and as fast as fox to hit underground,but any decent terrier should be well fit to hold one at bay.JMO.

fat man-I think Mosby is full of shit to...BUT, agree with what he said on otters and terriers... :doh: If a terrier goes headfirst into an otter in a stop end, its going to get ate up. The otter will bolt given the chance, but forced to fight it will make most terriers sing, and will leave many that dont laying. At least thats what happens here in the US... ;) Keeping one bayed up with a terrier is not much more impressive than doing it with a beagle, IMO.

Take care.

Ha Ha. I was hoping you'd get on and say something about this. I couldn't think of any other american to back anything up about otters.

Edited by Mosby

Take care.

Well Doc,

Long time no talk, I do know you've had your fair shair of run ins with yankee brock.

Didn't Kabuki Joe have a few with his Cowan bred lakelands ? And around the same time I remember a patterdale type making it into the Hall of Fame that's over there because it was dug to badger, I think the badger died afterwards. The photos showed the terriers owner holding the dead badger. This was about 10 years. The terrier was direct of B.N. if I remember correctly.

Doc these are cases where I wouldn't dispute the owners claims.

But yeh, there's probably been a few lies told too.

it would of died afterwards cause there is no way a terrier would kill one espeicially to ground especially them little puny american things ks