While out walking terrier's earlier on along the bank of the local river i spotted a big dog otter,well i say dog as it looked big on the oppisite bank about 100yds down from me eating what looked like a spent salmon as the river is only a spawning river.It spotted me and was in the water and disappeared in a flash.Lovely looking animal great to see them.They were a good challenge for a terrier to ground pre ban.I seen a lot of them killed in eel nets down through the years,sad ending for such a nice animal.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that will be 100% fact FTB

He only took them ducks for the QUACK neil.

Just out of intrest how are irish badgers different in their habits than British ones?

While out walking terrier's earlier on along the bank of the local river i spotted a big dog otter,well i say dog as it looked big on the oppisite bank about 100yds down from me eating what looked like a spent salmon as the river is only a spawning river.It spotted me and was in the water and disappeared in a flash.Lovely looking animal great to see them.They were a good challenge for a terrier to ground pre ban.I seen a lot of them killed in eel nets down through the years,sad ending for such a nice animal.

we got a few here, they can get to some size :thumbs:

Know of a dog and bitch otter at present, sat and watched them play for 5 minutes before they winded me and went into some rocks. This was only last week. Hopefully will have some kits this year.

Will probably never ever see that again.

It was magic.

:thumbs:

FTB

we got a few here, they can get to some size :thumbs:

there was one found dead up by me , its a shame really as there havent been any around here for donkey years , hope the do come back tho be nice to see a few around and deffanatly a good challenge for the dogs in the old days my uncle had a few

atb

Know of a dog and bitch otter at present, sat and watched them play for 5 minutes before they winded me and went into some rocks. This was only last week. Hopefully will have some kits this year.

Will probably never ever see that again.

It was magic.

:thumbs:

FTB

:thumbs: :thumbs:

The otter is one animal I haven't much sympathy for.

First, they are a lot more common than we're led to believe (in Ireland anyway).

They are a very wastefull animal. I've seen a 7lb brown trout with a single bite taken out of it and left to rot. As well as eels and salmon.

They kill more than they can eat. Yes the fox does too, but usually in a shed or pen. The otter will kill for the sake of it on the river or lake. He's a very efficient predator indeed.

So, IMO if the fox and the mink are worthy of being a quarry species, then why not old Tarka ????

And I'm not just saying this because one of the buggers took 26 mallard on me last year.

Guest dee mac

First, they are a lot more common than we're led to believe (in Ireland anyway).

They are a very wastefull animal. I've seen a 7lb brown trout with a single bite taken out of it and left to rot. As well as eels and salmon.

They kill more than they can eat. Yes the fox does too, but usually in a shed or pen. The otter will kill for the sake of it on the river or lake. He's a very efficient predator indeed.

So, IMO if the fox and the mink are worthy of being a quarry species, then why not old Tarka ????

And I'm not just saying this because one of the buggers took 26 mallard on me last year.

i can def see where your coming from neil if in great numbers there a pest like mink etc tho i have seen quite a few in my time but had the pleasure of seeing a mother with 3 well grown young one day on a river and i could nt take my eye s off them most gracefull animal i ve ever seen in the flesh and i have too admire them as they are so efficent in everything they do except walking on land :laugh::laugh:

i can def see where your coming from neil if in great numbers there a pest like mink etc tho i have seen quite a few in my time but had the pleasure of seeing a mother with 3 well grown young one day on a river and i could nt take my eye s off them most gracefull animal i ve ever seen in the flesh and i have too admire them as they are so efficent in everything they do except walking on land :laugh::laugh:

never sean one up this way it would be nice to see thow :thumbs:

I was canoeing last year for a few days down the river wye. One swam right past our canoe. Beautiful graceful creatures to watch. They can be a pain though if they kill your ducks or fish though. Mind you, i'd rather see them out and about than mink

I was canoeing last year for a few days on the river wye. One swam right past our canoe. Beautiful graceful creatures to watch. They can be a pain though if they kill your ducks or fish though. Mind you, i'd rather see them out and about than mink.