Thanks for the education boys just goes to show you can learn something new everyday if you listen.It just proves we have a better class of badger who keeps himself to himself,while his English cousins live in communes like hippys and get the giro.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that will be 100% fact FTB

He only took them ducks for the QUACK neil.

Just out of intrest how are irish badgers different in their habits than British ones?

Thanks for the education boys just goes to show you can learn something new everyday if you listen.It just proves we have a better class of badger who keeps himself to himself,while his English cousins live in communes like hippys and get the giro.

LMAO, Liam I think it shows as well how little "Experts" know about them too. The Irish experts just assumed that they were the very same as the british ones and never bothered to look! They only found out there was a difference in 2009 :thumbs:

LMAO, Liam I think it shows as well how little "Experts" know about them too. The Irish experts just assumed that they were the very same as the british ones and never bothered to look! They only found out there was a difference in 2009 :thumbs:

I heard that Grainne Cleary girl talking once or twice on the radio about badgers she knows her stuff and has done a lot of research, but she sounds like somebody that has escaped from the mental.They were talking about it one day on The radio she was saying the department snares them for her research and the EXPERTS were giving the usual bullshit about the evils of diggers. Some dog man rang up and said how are the cubs reared when the Department snares the mother? SILENCE Then commercial outbreak that burst her bubble a little bit.

That's wrong Mosby. I look at several road kill otters every year and also live in an area that has the highest population of otters in Ireland.

I've seen up to 5 otters in a mornings fishing and have had them swim within a few feet of my legs. I've also seen a yellow coloured otter. He was a large dog over 3 foot long.

Anyhow, officially, the lenght of our otter is 95 to 130 cm. That's over 4 foot in ordinary talk.

I'd guess a big dog could weigh 40 lbs. But I could be wrong.

Otter hunting only ceased in Ireland in '92 so there's still plenty of hunting folk around who remember what they were like to hunt and work with terriers.

The general opinion is that they bolted very quickly when allowed to but could make life hard for a terrier when the terrier made his life hard.

A terrier I bred that ended up in another mans hands killed one in a small stream years ago in front of 5 lads who were just out for a ramble.

The same terrier killed most of her foxes to ground but wasn't the best digging dog ever. So I guess terriers handling an otter on top wasn't out of the question.

Didn't Bert Gripton once say that a pack of terriers could manage otter numbers as well as a pack of hounds.

But that's all in the past now.

Dang. I can't get nothin right this week. LOL All I know is that the otters I've worked I wouldn't doubt for a second could kill a dog. I hunt enough to know shit from fiction concerning the game in my area. I suppose I should just keep my mouth shut about european game though.

I knew an old timer that is no longer with us but had dug enough of them when they were legal to hunt to have an opinion on them ...he told me most of the time when a terrier was entered the otter would come to the dog makeing plenty of noise and would strike the dog but then would bolt more often than not ....he said that a steady sounder was preffered but had seen hard dogs that would kill foxes and work up close to brog they would work there otter with a bit of space in front ...but what he also said was it very much depended on the out lay of the otters holt if it was in a tight tube then it had been knowen for a terrier to get a hold until the terrier was dug to and with most places not being to deep the dog and its quarry was gotten to quickly but he said he thought it was possible for a terrier in the right situation could kill its otter ...but he said that in most otter holts just like badgers they can have a large chamber which gave the otter a bit of space to wrap around the dog and thats where most dogs will be over matched.

H e said he had no problems handleing his quarrt but had never heard of anyone handleing an otter ....it would be a braver man than me anyway

I ain't saying anything on the shape of the borders head I have found long nosed dogs to have some powerful bite force at times. But when it comes to water quarry, a good coat on the dog is highly, highly important!Water will shut a good dog down if it's hunting on a cold day with a thin coat. I can't count how many times I've had to canoe home with my dogs stuffed in my jacket to keep warm. I'm not some pussy that overpampers his workers either. A good coat is one of the top things on the list of necessities for my dogs and I think about it when I choose pups. As I almost exclusively hunt waterways.

mosby i have never been around otters before but have talked to a good friend in the swamps down south that had a time with one.... 3 coonhounds and a game bred pit, the hounds bayed and nipped, the pit got his ass whipped. ain't no little terrier gonna make a north american otter do anything it doesnt want to do. :nono:

Read more books, iv had this argument with a keeper who's worked borders for 30 years at the end of the argument or discussion it ended up the younger keeper was teaching the older 1 something, right down to a Borders coat has a reason to assist them when hunting otters, but then again if moo says, then I must be wrong.

enlighten us why borders look like otters ...seeing you have read all the books

mosby i have never been around otters before but have talked to a good friend in the swamps down south that had a time with one.... 3 coonhounds and a game bred pit, the hounds bayed and nipped, the pit got his ass whipped. ain't no little terrier gonna make a north american otter do anything it doesnt want to do. :nono:

game bred 'pit' working alongside other dogs? :whistling: