the fastest whippet in the country ????

I just found my only copy of Whippet News June 1990, theres a photo of Henry Dobie with Indian joe who i see was bred Tyrone X Stags choice, its probably mentioned on here already but Tyrone appears to have been a good stud, maybe its about time someone brought a book out on whippet racing, as this post has made excellent reading.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruby Wednesday (sugar fire x greyhound)

Posted Images

I just found my only copy of Whippet News June 1990, theres a photo of Henry Dobie with Indian joe who i see was bred Tyrone X Stags choice, its probably mentioned on here already but Tyrone appears to have been a good stud, maybe its about time someone brought a book out on whippet racing, as this post has made excellent reading.

There was a reall good one on here going back a few months it was excellent try and resurrect it ; )

ive got a wee article off a coursing whippet club in early 80,s i can put on for ya country joe,,,,an event held after shooting season for one day

althou the ploughed feilds,,,,the going was not good for the whippets ,,,i,e heavy wet ground ,,,the artical comes with 3 photos and a wee write up for the day

ill put on we i get the chance :thumbs:

Just got back from a grand day out watching these little flyers running at Cambois Greyhound track. The sun was shining, even though it was a bit nippy, but the track was perfect. Not a big turn out of dogs, but some excellant racing. One dog caught my eye, Mazuma, 31lb; he did a time of 15.10, and speaking to one of the Greyhound guys there, he assured me this is faster than most Greys do around this track !! Had a good craic with a lot of peope, and great to see Sowhat, (Jeff), and have a yarn with him. I was also amazed to see a little bitch, 26lb, that is around 7/8th Greyhound !! Good luck to these dogs, if they make the wheight limit, then run them !!

Cheers.

• Like 1

hope geoff didnt mention the £2.99 my brother stiffed him out off for almost bobs rich,,,,lol lol cause he was hungry ect ect

Nah, mate, we were talking Lurchers, but I did have a craic with some other people about the dogs you had, Allmost Bob's and , was it, Sugar Rush ? That's the thing about a day at the Whippets; pleanty of craic about running dogs in general, with people who know what they are talking about !!

Cheers.

I knew Henry Dobie, the man could sure get a dog in condition another couple of crackers he had were Painted lady (grew) and Jungle runner. I think jungle runner was also a grew.

I knew Henry Dobie, the man could sure get a dog in condition another couple of crackers he had were Painted lady (grew) and Jungle runner. I think jungle runner was also a grew.

saw painted lady win an open on the bends at thornton, best thing about it was the way a false favourite was created by a bluff bet on a heavywieght with a great time (stop the world i think) the bookies were in tears pmsl. and your right with the conditioning thing like i said earlier sometimes the owner handler makes the dog

I was also amazed to see a little bitch, 26lb, that is around 7/8th Greyhound !! Good luck to these dogs, if they make the wheight limit, then run them !!

Cheers.

Sired by Magical Dreams too!

Trudy-whippet says you should have seen her the other day when she raided the rubbish, she was almost 28lb !!!

I was also amazed to see a little bitch, 26lb, that is around 7/8th Greyhound !! Good luck to these dogs, if they make the wheight limit, then run them !!

Cheers.

Sired by Magical Dreams too!

Trudy-whippet says you should have seen her the other day when she raided the rubbish, she was almost 28lb !!!

That bitch, and the fawn bitch the lady I was talking to had, realy caught my eye. They are a credit to her; good luck with them :thumbs:

Cheers.

this is an article from an old whippet news also

whittingham stake final

dogs in the slips, WALKER and SACHA

just before the off.The judge in the background take up postion

pic1-65.jpg

After three years of waiting , on 24th january "81, i finally made it to the whippet coursing meet

Major Ward had given his permission.on the last day of the shooting season , to the east anglian whippet coursing club, to use his whittingham hall grounds for this edvent

the coursers were divided into three groups , the first being for the whittingham stakes ( open class )

the final was won by WALKER who showed class in the first round and went on to a tight -run final.This was a re course as two hares got up in the first attempt

with WALKER & SASHA ,the finalists taking one each,, the judge declared a non event

pic2-54.jpg

The puppy final or sonny stakes was won by SANDY ,another fine courser.These youngsters went well and what the lack in experance they make up for in enthusiam. POLLYDODDLE being the beat finalist.

pic3-47.jpg

the one thing that owners did without comment was abide by the decisions of mr ron monk,the judge

this is very important part of sport,after all do make mistakes somtimes but it is not for the owner to make a song and dance about rons judging position was always correct

the ground was very wet with heavy plough, but hares were pleantyful,but i can imagine ,on a day when there not,this would cause alot of walking with owners and dogs

fullmarks to the slipper who always gave the hare a distance start