• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruby Wednesday (sugar fire x greyhound)

Posted Images

Marretta;

TN_MARRETTA-1.jpg

I think the term these days is "ripped" !!

Cheers.

iam sure i could find more photos off this dog ,,,and a story off the great scratch show down,,,i think with ( red baron) ??? bearing in mind i cant remeber lol

iam sure ive heard and seen photo off robbo,,rich not sure ,,,little lucy defo,,,ill have a look for ya,,,,my wife hates my wee libary lol

I ran (non-Ped) Whippets back in the 60's; there was any amount of tracks in the North East then. Some had a strict 21" limit, some said the dogs must be "smooth coated and of Whippet like appearance". The Rising Sun W.C. had both these stipulations. Other clubs such as Seaton Burn and Coxlodge Clubs, basicaly said if your dog fitted the trap, it could run ! There was dogs fron 18" smooth coated to 23" rough coated in some litters !! I had a dog, Blue Prince, who could pass for a large Pedigree Whippet, (21" & 36lb) and in his litter were a bitch 18" and a bitch 24" and some with wiry coats !! In those days the dogs would course, ferret and race . They certainly wern't as fast as the dogs today, but I was lucky enough to see some of the greatest Racing Whippets ever, from the 18lb Cherry, to ,(in my mind), the greatest Scratch Dog ever, Daisy. I still go to the track now, and the speed of these dogs is phenominal, but back in the day it was far, far harder to get a Rch, simply becase there was so many more dogs running. I hope the numbers pick up, it would be a shame to see Whippet racing die out.

Cheers.

I THOUGHT ur fav would have been ,,,i think marretta scratch a fawn scratch racer,,,long body ,,,unsure about spelling rich,,,,,undeafeted 72 races,,,they dog were more famous than football stars 2day ,in there local area ( i think) ,,,,prize money in the scratch racing back then could be as much as £100 to £80 ,,,,,heat winners got £1.50 ,,,,bearing in mind ,,,50p could buy u the best leather lead and collar for yer dog,,,,and 2 bob which i think was 10p could feed yer dog in the best meat for a week

but i wasnt around then,,,,but you were rich,,,,is it true ?????

When "Barretta", a daughter of Marretta, was coming to the end of her Scratch Racing career, her owner offered me her and hoped I would mate her with my old dog Blue Prince. I was also offered "Susan", (Blue Fawn x Young Lucy) a great Scratch Dog in her own right, and sibling to some of the best dogs ever, (I had a pup out of her by Darley Fly), for £170,this was in the early 70's !!! I turned them both down, and have never bred a pup. I loved the Scratch Dogs and remember racing Robbo, (Bilko X Frozen Kill), against a Greyhound, on a Greyhound Track, over 270 yards, It generated great interest, but he got beat a short head !! LOL !! The heydays of Whippet Racing, the 60's & 70's were fantastic, we went from Ashington to Hinckley for match racing, and a lot of money changed hands. Some of the top Coursing match men cut theit teeth with Whippet Racing ! Great old days !!

Cheers.

apologies for us old timers hijacking the original post hope its entertaining a still a little relevant

when i went from lurchers to whippets early 80's we were blinkered a little with yd/lb racing and scotland was way behind in scratch racing but on the weekends away to exotic places like the rising sun or felling we were all big admirers of the big boys (and girls). scratch racers all started level never asked nor gave a start all paid the same entry money no heat prizes or second prizes, winner takes all, sometimes big money. how they managed to get some of these dogs into the traps but they were electric out of them. challenge matches with side bets were always a big draw. every club area region and era had their favourites. it didn't matter then what size or how much greyhound or whatever was in the blood just fastest to fastest. some great yd/lbers were bred from these big stars. maybe too many rules and restrictions these days

Bob, I have an old dairy from 1972, and I kept records of my matches. I ran Rch Kinky Boy, getting 3 yards off him with a pup out of Red Baron for £74, I won, and they wanted a re-match for the same money and yards... I won again ! LOL ! Then I got greedy and gave Bunny Girl 2 yards for £50 and lost...... but still came out on top !! I don't think they have match racing now for money, but it was a big thing in the 60's & 70's.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

i like competition in any sport brings the best out and some times the worst in aman dog whatever , a hunting man my self but i know without one part pace youl cacth fech all were im from

And what exactly has that statement got to do with an otherwise very entertaining post about RACING Whippets ???

Cheers.

I ran (non-Ped) Whippets back in the 60's; there was any amount of tracks in the North East then. Some had a strict 21" limit, some said the dogs must be "smooth coated and of Whippet like appearance". The Rising Sun W.C. had both these stipulations. Other clubs such as Seaton Burn and Coxlodge Clubs, basicaly said if your dog fitted the trap, it could run ! There was dogs fron 18" smooth coated to 23" rough coated in some litters !! I had a dog, Blue Prince, who could pass for a large Pedigree Whippet, (21" & 36lb) and in his litter were a bitch 18" and a bitch 24" and some with wiry coats !! In those days the dogs would course, ferret and race . They certainly wern't as fast as the dogs today, but I was lucky enough to see some of the greatest Racing Whippets ever, from the 18lb Cherry, to ,(in my mind), the greatest Scratch Dog ever, Daisy. I still go to the track now, and the speed of these dogs is phenominal, but back in the day it was far, far harder to get a Rch, simply becase there was so many more dogs running. I hope the numbers pick up, it would be a shame to see Whippet racing die out.

Cheers.

I THOUGHT ur fav would have been ,,,i think marretta scratch a fawn scratch racer,,,long body ,,,unsure about spelling rich,,,,,undeafeted 72 races,,,they dog were more famous than football stars 2day ,in there local area ( i think) ,,,,prize money in the scratch racing back then could be as much as £100 to £80 ,,,,,heat winners got £1.50 ,,,,bearing in mind ,,,50p could buy u the best leather lead and collar for yer dog,,,,and 2 bob which i think was 10p could feed yer dog in the best meat for a week

When "Barretta", a daughter of Marretta, was coming to the end of her Scratch Racing career, her owner offered me her and hoped I would mate her with my old dog Blue Prince. I was also offered "Susan", (Blue Fawn x Young Lucy) a great Scratch Dog in her own right, and sibling to some of the best dogs ever, (I had a pup out of her by Darley Fly), for £170,this was in the early 70's !!! I turned them both down, and have never bred a pup. I loved the Scratch Dogs and remember racing Robbo, (Bilko X Frozen Kill), against a Greyhound, on a Greyhound Track, over 270 yards, It generated great interest, but he got beat a short head !! LOL !! The heydays of Whippet Racing, the 60's & 70's were fantastic, we went from Ashington to Hinckley for match racing, and a lot of money changed hands. Some of the top Coursing match men cut theit teeth with Whippet Racing ! Great old days !!

Cheers.

apologies for us old timers hijacking the original post hope its entertaining a still a little relevant

when i went from lurchers to whippets early 80's we were blinkered a little with yd/lb racing and scotland was way behind in scratch racing but on the weekends away to exotic places like the rising sun or felling we were all big admirers of the big boys (and girls). scratch racers all started level never asked nor gave a start all paid the same entry money no heat prizes or second prizes, winner takes all, sometimes big money. how they managed to get some of these dogs into the traps but they were electric out of them. challenge matches with side bets were always a big draw. every club area region and era had their favourites. it didn't matter then what size or how much greyhound or whatever was in the blood just fastest to fastest. some great yd/lbers were bred from these big stars. maybe too many rules and restrictions these days

ahem birdog,,,have u managed to look out that info i asked for ,,,on merl and eve lines ,,to a very famous greyhound iam sure there pictures aswell,,,,i read it somewhere but at momment i cant find it ,,,,if its in yer drawer ,,,,pm me dont post on here please ;)

iam 99% sure i read it,,,somwhere,,,?????

Edited by whip x grey

i like competition in any sport brings the best out and some times the worst in aman dog whatever , a hunting man my self but i know without one part pace youl cacth fech all were im from

spot on mate, the best. whippet racing is without a doubt the best family sport ever. our hols were based around the championships, camping with the family with friend from all areas around you, everyone looked out for each others kids even feeding them. it didn't matter whether you were poor or rich north or south we were all racers. the worst. i eventually got sickened working and training a dog, feeding it exact amounts, check wieghing dailly, timing walks and some so and so feeding their dog rubbish leaving it lying about all week popped it a pill on race day undoing all my hard work and effort. different these days with drug testing.

• Like 3

Cheers.

Cheers.

ahem birdog,,,have u managed to look out that info i asked for ,,,on merl and eve lines ,,to a very famous greyhound iam sure there pictures aswell,,,,i read it somewhere but at momment i cant find it ,,,,if its in yer drawer ,,,,pm me dont post on here please ;)

iam 99% sure i read it,,,somwhere,,,?????

to be honest bob ive not looked yet working too hard mate need the overtime to pay for a new lamp eh i'm off till friday nightshift now if you get done early through the week we'll give the pups a wee run together

your [bANNED TEXT] bird dog , cant beat a bit comp but sometimes you get cheated out things mate , good thing about hunting its whats caut that counts at times couldnt be assed with all the palver to chase abag but i do love the meduim to big sized whipps and there crosses ,indain joe was a good dog we had a national whippet comp in early ninties at wallyford dog track,great day out had femily nephews ,i would waste any grew i have on game but good fun while they last ,got alot of time for the big whipp grews

your [bANNED TEXT] bird dog , cant beat a bit comp but sometimes you get cheated out things mate , good thing about hunting its whats caut that counts at times couldnt be assed with all the palver to chase abag but i do love the meduim to big sized whipps and there crosses ,indain joe was a good dog we had a national whippet comp in early ninties at wallyford dog track,great day out had femily nephews ,i would waste any grew i have on game but good fun while they last ,got alot of time for the big whipp grews

aye a good night on the lamp or a morning wi the ferts doesn't need cheating or dope testing. we'll have to get our heads together mate, i've had a few local lads asking about organising some sort of working trial, you said youve been involved in it before could be fun i think and a great excuse for a weekend away

Birddog, there has been two THL Lamping Competitions; there wasn't a third becase a very small minority, including Whin, slagged the comp and the organiser so much, that he decided it wasn't worth the abuse to run another one ! Whin said HE would run the next one, and promised all sorts of things........ Of course, it didn't come off, because Whin, as usual, was all talk !! So don't hold your breath waiting for Whin to organise "some sort of working trial" !! He'l talk a whole load of nonsense about Coyotes, Lobsters, D.Slieight, Kizzy, etc... but nothing will come of any competition !! Believe me !!

Cheers.

Birddog, there has been two THL Lamping Competitions; there wasn't a third becase a very small minority, including Whin, slagged the comp and the organiser so much, that he decided it wasn't worth the abuse to run another one ! Whin said HE would run the next one, and promised all sorts of things........ Of course, it didn't come off, because Whin, as usual, was all talk !! So don't hold your breath waiting for Whin to organise "some sort of working trial" !! He'l talk a whole load of nonsense about Coyotes, Lobsters, D.Slieight, Kizzy, etc... but nothing will come of any competition !! Believe me !!

Cheers.

he's never promised me anything, didn't want him to organise it only wanted to pick his brains as to how they did it in the past, don't really know the guy but i can only take as i find with him as with anyone else

• Like 1