BREEDING FOR MONEY

If I ever breed a litter one thing for sure...no one on here even hears about them. They are never for sale, they are given away to mates. In turn, i get pups given back and/or stud for free as a standard. Its all about putting the value of dogs far, far higher than the shallowness of money.

Too many litters being bred for money. I don't care what anyone says, alot of this "bred for own use" is bollocks. They are seeing the £200 a pup. And it is a shame. What many do not think about is...If working dogs had little value then dog thefts would be reduced dramatically. It's the stupid £300+ prices that fuels dog theft. The scum that pinch the dogs are doing it to breed from them and sell the pups in many cases.

Money, money, money..... <_<

But hey, that's JMO......J Darcy

So by your way of thinking where dose the newcomer to the dogs go to get his start in the game? where dose the genuine lad who has had to get out of the dogs for a few years and lost contact go to make a new start?...i dont breed dogs but have no problem with those that do as long as they are honest and the dogs are healthy...buying a dog is the same as anything else in life you need to put a bit of thought and research into it...like a car or a woman go into it with your eyes closed and you ended up getting your pants pulled down...but thats life! most of us learn the hard way...bought my first dog off a proper dog farming puppy peddler but by todays standards anyone who even breeds a litter is called a peddler...elitist snobbery...history will tell that message boards/forums have done way more damage to working dogs than breeders ever will...JMO ;)

People who breed dogs for profit only ARE peddlers mate.

What else would you call them? :blink:

Either way, each to their own......

If you cant tell the differance between someone who breeds the odd decent litter and makes a few quid which lets be honest probably wouldnt even cover his running cost over the years...and a peddler who pumps out litter after litter season after season just to make a profit...then maybe your not as smart as you like to think you are...as for giving em all away for free...jesus the amount of times some of these dogs change hands i dread to think how they would be treated if they was freebies...the last pup i had was offerd as a gift i insisted on paying for it...but thats just me,it costs money to keep a yard of dogs you know...but each to their own

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

otherwise i would buy a pup, but not one that is £200, no way

Why?? If I wanted a well bred pup £200 is nothing, you could easily pay £100 and feed the dog for years costing hundreds upon hundreds for it to turn out a plum. Saying that many lads don't charge at all...................

As for dogs, ANYONE who breeds PURELY for profit is a parasite and I don't include people who breed for their own use........................

Edited to add that perhaps the reason so many dogs are currently being bred or offered at stud is because people are struggling in the current financial and economic situation, just food for thought and perhaps something to add to the debate?????????????????

ive just lined my bitch 3 weeks ago so dont know if she has taken yet but already 10 pups have been asked for. i will be only letting her rear 6, one for me and the rest will be gifted. i have the opinion that if a dog is worth breeding from you will not have to advertise the pups.

i may have this worng but how are you only going to let her rear 6 anymore knock on the head as there born? you may be culling the best in the litter. how do you know what is a good dog at birth :blink:

how do you know the best pups at 6 or even 8weeks when they go to new homes? by culling a litter you give the remaining pups the best of starts, also it wont take too much out of my bitch.

i personaly don't agree with you there as i beleive everything has a right to life and please tell me how you would chose which pups you would knock on the head in your cull. say your bitch has 10 5 dogs 5 bitches

feed your bitch right and she will rear them fine as for giving the pups the best start 6 will get no better start than 10 done correctly

IMO A lot of the problem breeding that goes on is due to "Kennel Blindness" people thinking they have the best dog in the world and breeding from it. As well as the people knowingly breeding shit just for the money.

After quite a number of years working dogs I am in the process of breeding my first litter of terriers.

Why?

because I could not buy a better dog than the ones I am breeding.

With the working ability and working lines of the dog I am using combined with the working ability and working lines of my bitch, it would be very hard (if not impossible) to find a dog with such good breeding and working ability.

Will I be charging people I dont know for the pups? Yes, does this make me a puppy peddler?

as somebody said to me years ago:

Before breeding a litter always ask yourself the question

"could I buy a better dog?" If the answer is yes then dont breed.

All The Best

Stripe

Edited by Stripe
If I ever breed a litter one thing for sure...no one on here even hears about them. They are never for sale, they are given away to mates. In turn, i get pups given back and/or stud for free as a standard. Its all about putting the value of dogs far, far higher than the shallowness of money.

Too many litters being bred for money. I don't care what anyone says, alot of this "bred for own use" is bollocks. They are seeing the £200 a pup. And it is a shame. What many do not think about is...If working dogs had little value then dog thefts would be reduced dramatically. It's the stupid £300+ prices that fuels dog theft. The scum that pinch the dogs are doing it to breed from them and sell the pups in many cases.

Money, money, money..... <_<

But hey, that's JMO......J Darcy

So by your way of thinking where dose the newcomer to the dogs go to get his start in the game? where dose the genuine lad who has had to get out of the dogs for a few years and lost contact go to make a new start?...i dont breed dogs but have no problem with those that do as long as they are honest and the dogs are healthy...buying a dog is the same as anything else in life you need to put a bit of thought and research into it...like a car or a woman go into it with your eyes closed and you ended up getting your pants pulled down...but thats life! most of us learn the hard way...bought my first dog off a proper dog farming puppy peddler but by todays standards anyone who even breeds a litter is called a peddler...elitist snobbery...history will tell that message boards/forums have done way more damage to working dogs than breeders ever will...JMO ;)

If you cant tell the differance between someone who breeds the odd decent litter and makes a few quid which lets be honest probably wouldnt even cover his running cost over the years...and a peddler who pumps out litter after litter season after season just to make a profit...then maybe your not as smart as you like to think you are...as for giving em all away for free...jesus the amount of times some of these dogs change hands i dread to think how they would be treated if they was freebies...the last pup i had was offerd as a gift i insisted on paying for it...but thats just me,it costs money to keep a yard of dogs you know...but each to their own

I think you mis-understand. When i give pups away they cannot go anywhere only back to me. That's the unwritten rule many lads adhere to. The lads i give pups to would never pass dogs on, thats why they get pups. Theres a small group of us, and we do it our way. No silly jealousy and bitching, never mention of money, just trying to do the best for the bloodline and the end result being working dogs that perform to our lowly standards.

And i never pretended to be smart. I'm sorry if i ever gave that impression.

If people sell dogs its up to them, its just something i do not agree with. Of course i can tell the difference between the two. maybe you should read my post. It refers to people who breed for profit. and of course not everyone who breeds is a peddler.

Good Hunting JD

Care to read it again. AKA would you agree with the statement highlighted above?

Good Hunting JD

i think that these people that breed for profit dont give a shit as long as they get the wods in there arse pocket its the inexpearienced people that are being conned into handing large amounts of money for pups because of what shit the breeder is filling there heads with. like you say j darcy each to there own its totoly wrong but it is always going to be an issue in the dog world alb martync

Mr Darcy

I fully support and understand your views about dogs being passed amongst good mates without charge, I work in a similar system with my mates. Its just helping each other out.

Where I disagree is if somebody I do not know wants a dog then I would charge them a fair price for it, so it would not be immediatly sold on for a profit. (and also go some way to covering my costs)

But I dont understand your comment "working dogs that perform to our lowly standards"

I presume when breeding you use the best/healthiest/proven stock that you have available to you to improve the breed.

all the best

Stripe

im more concerned with the guys that sell dogs that aint upto scratch and that end up being passed from piller to post and finished off with being dummped, there is quite a few on here ive noticed :realmad:. its the generation we live in the throw away society,

when breeding pups we have to cover costs like stud fees advertising worming , vet bills, feeding,

ive given pups away before to people who i thought was genuine, which ended up with them rather spending money on drink than looking after there dog . in my thinking a person will look after somthing better if he has invested money into it

Edited by shaun v

regardless of the prices paid for dogs there is far to many bought on a whim! with no understanding of how to bring it up enter it to game or generlly look after it you only have to look at some of the posts

how mutch do i walk my dog ,hoand what do i feed it,willit be ok to run my dog on whatever at 6 months

if they had done some homework before buying a dog they would know then at 18 months it f cked and passed on :angry:

IMO A lot of the problem breeding that goes on is due to "Kennel Blindness" people thinking they have the best dog in the world and breeding from it. As well as the people knowingly breeding shit just for the money.

After quite a number of years working dogs I am in the process of breeding my first litter of terriers.

Why?

because I could not buy a better dog than the ones I am breeding.

With the working ability and working lines of the dog I am using combined with the working ability and working lines of my bitch, it would be very hard (if not impossible) to find a dog with such good breeding and working ability.

Will I be charging people I dont know for the pups? Yes, does this make me a puppy peddler?

as somebody said to me years ago:

Before breeding a litter always ask yourself the question

"could I buy a better dog?" If the answer is yes then dont breed.

All The Best

why shouldnt you sell your pups mate i have just lined my bitch and she is 6 year old and a great worker below ground i had her mother and her grandmother so ive had these type for a fair bit if people on here think i should give three generations of worker to worker breeding to some numpty for nothing then there idiots and yes am keeping one myself and 3 others are going to mates for nowt but feck giving someone i dont know the rest no one ever gave me a well bred dog for nowt atb biza

Stripe

I agree with keeping bloodlines between mates and mates of mates etc, people who you know are going to work them and test them to see weather they are worthy of carrying on the line. But as ive found it can depend on what exactly you want in a lurcher, sometimes the types of dog kept arn't what you are looking for and so you have to look further afield to find whats right. In which case more often than not money will have to change hands.

The price of a dog would not make someone keep the dog if they wanted to get rid.Look at battersea dogs home, i bet at any one time they have got in thousands upon thousands of pounds worth of "if i charge big money they will keep it for life " dogs