Log burner

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Basically, add wood to the fire and make note of when you have to leave the room/open the windows and doors/waft the smoke alarm. It's one less log than that.

It's a dog thing....

Totnes , Devon mate. Don't want any thing for it. Cheers Arry

Posted Images

I would like a small wood burning stove for my garage , there's plenty pallets wood at work and i could bring them home in the truck  but then there bulky and laying about 

3 hours ago, The one said:

I would like a small wood burning stove for my garage , there's plenty pallets wood at work and i could bring them home in the truck  but then there bulky and laying about 

I,m making one for my shed at the mo out of an old gas bottle have a look on utube, would also say having several stoves in different places that pallets are the worst form of fuel as they are put together with ring nails which don't come apart so you have to smash them up with a sledge hammer and they burn so quick you get warmer breaking them than burning them, I have an endless supply of scaffold planks which are great, easy to stack cut them with a drop saw and they actually burn like logs nice and steady, nothing that's free is that easy or everyone would have one but good luck anyway 

I,m going for a simular design I have a small gas bottle and will put hinges on the square I cut out for the door and use a scaffold tube for a chimney might make a small ash drawer in the bottom if there's room, will probably be summer by the time I get it done but I,ll wack some pics up when it's done 

• Like 1

I've got a jotul log burner and it doesn't have an ash pan ... however even after burning wood all year there is only a couple of scoops of ash in the bottom ... fukc knows how it works but it does .....

49 minutes ago, socks said:

I've got a jotul log burner and it doesn't have an ash pan ... however even after burning wood all year there is only a couple of scoops of ash in the bottom ... fukc knows how it works but it does .....

Jotul are meant to be the creme of burners, ill have to find a local dealer to have a butchers one day. One of my new neighbours has one, uses a fraction of the wood a 'regular' burner does apparently.

Probably give mine a good empty once a week as its been mild, but when I want the best out it when its -10 out needs doing every other day + the flu pipe giving a beating outside.

I have a Coalbrookdale Little Wenlock MK 1 multi fuel burner with a back boiler been outside under a tarp for about a year if anybody wants it come and get it. Its bloody heavy and would need one of them three wheel sack trucks to get it down my steps. Fitting instructions are inside it was used for two or three years from new.

The back boiler can be filled with sand iv'e been told if you don't want to use it, don't now if thats right.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 2
On 08/01/2018 at 13:47, scothunter said:

To slow as in keeping it on low setting.?  

I do turn the dial down when it's fired up. Also keep it on all night.

That's it, turned down to low, the smoke fills the burner if you dont turn it up.  We stopped leaving ours on all night turned down for the same reason your getting sooted glass.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, stealthy1 said:

That's it, turned down to low, the smoke fills the burner if you dont turn it up.  We stopped leaving ours on all night turned down for the same reason your getting sooted glass.

It's my only source of heat stealthy so I have no other option but to leave it on. 

I bought a couple of those electric oil filled radiators for when I can't be arsed lighting fire. .

Do you ever get those packs of hotties. Burn real hot and not expensive for pack of ten. 

• Like 1

I'm going to build myself a pallet shack this summer down the holding and I've been looking at burners for it

im going to order a barrel stove kit to make one from a 45 gallon drum I've sorted the drum already but the kit I have to order from USA as I can't find a uk supplier 

they look good and proper kick out heat by the sound of it