german shepherd X greyhound

Grey hound for me especially if your going to use them on rabbits,You would need or the speed you can get.? coursing dogs a good choice for the second x in my opinion not that its worth much.

I have lamped and ferreted with my own purebred collie/shepherds and caught many bunnies, i'd say they only needed a little more pace and if i wanted to breed a hunting dog, then the coursing dog does add pace, more than enough for bunnies but also many more attributes the greyhound doesn't. just my opinion........

Yes you can lamp rabbits with a slow dog but knock up a few bunnies in the day,even at night its not much fun watching rabbits bounce of fences to be caught..Your adding the Shepard to get the other attributes,some in the litter will be faster than others for the slower ones that extra bit could mean the difference of being any good or not,But each to there own,it wont effect me either way. :thumbs:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a few days summertime ferreting (pest control in nz)with my white shepherd bitch and my 3/4 grey 1/4 white shepherd bitch   All the rabbits are to be killed whatever their

mate i couldnt give feck what you think and i think you know that, i will be going to few local shows this summer , come over and tell me again what you think of me , just in case i forget as yo

And all this from an add on donedeal for a lurcher pup,this site is ferkin amazing,lol.

Posted Images

Must admit i would prefer to put a quality coursing dog over a pure breed now than any greyhound, not that i breed but i'd rather a bull/coursing or colllie/coursing dog, may loose a little pace but in my opinion the inherent qualities of a coursing dog as opposed to a track dog would outweigh this, just my opinion....

Do Yous mean a Coursing Greyhound instead of a Track Greyhound ?

If so nowdays id disagree, Coursing Greyhounds are Far to Big and Heavy (90-100 lbs weight )

Bred for pace in strait lines over 300-400 m

Nowdays when using Greyhounds to Influence Lurcher Breeding Best Find a Quality Track Staying Type.

Hi mate, no i meant i'd sooner use a line bred coursing lurcher rather than a pure greyhound......

Must admit i would prefer to put a quality coursing dog over a pure breed now than any greyhound, not that i breed but i'd rather a bull/coursing or colllie/coursing dog, may loose a little pace but in my opinion the inherent qualities of a coursing dog as opposed to a track dog would outweigh this, just my opinion....

If so nowdays id disagree, Coursing Greyhounds are Far to Big and Heavy (90-100 lbs weight )

Nowdays when using Greyhounds to Influence Lurcher Breeding Best Find a Quality Track Staying Type.

Only the odd one is that size-i think the big ones are successful because they get less work behind the hare(cant turn).I have both myself -id say there is a lot more hunting intelligence in coursing greyhounds but track dogs are a lot more honest..There was a black alsation lurcher around my village when i was a kid that was the size of a great dane.

:yes::thumbs:

• Like 1

one of the most consistant hare catchers i have ever seen and this was in the 80s. was a gsdx greyhound cross 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound. a fantastic dog on big open fields the only quarry he was used on.

a lad i knew had a bull/grey x gsd/grey about 20 years ago,, seen it take rabbit, fox , and fallow in the same night,, a very deacent dog :yes:

do you think the shepherd added abit of stability/easiness to train to the mix tomo?

i never seen it from a pup,, just as an adult..... but on paper you would think so..... but bull terreiers are quite inteligent anyway its just alot of owners cant be arsed to train them..

the suprising thing about that particular dog was how athletic it was,,, it was far lighter in build than most big bull cross types,, it had more of a 3/4 type build,,,, like i say i liked it ,,

aye thats right flint, you aint the 1st or only person to do it tongue2.gif

with out arguing give me one good reason why youd use a coarsing dog

they work...

il tell you why not then , the x as plenty of stamina if fit , very clever and plenty of guts,and the pups from the straight x , should look very much the same,from the coarsing dog they could be al shapes and size,s and you also have a good chance of losing a bit of speed