SHOW US YOUR PATTERDALES

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not wanting to be contreversial, or a critic, but why are they called patterdales, its a place in the lake district, surely they are black fells, and how did they get this name, and who decided to call them patterdales, black and tans are lakeland, so what of the black dogs, they surely do chuck the odd black pup, so can some one enlighten me, just interested, some cracking pics ,im not knocking.

In my opinion and only from what i've heard over the years, they should really have been called Breay Terriers.

Mr. Cyril Breay was the cornerstone of breeding this type of terrier in the Lakes. He was a very intelligent man, as his profession was a school teacher, he was very well respected in his area. He had a good knowledge of genetics and when I used to visit the Lakes in the 70's this type of terrier was always in the cross-bred section of a show.

Apparentley Mr. Breay used a very old line of a small type of Staffordshire Bull - mainly black, a bit of Border and a bit of Fell. After speaking to a lot of well respected terrier men in the Lakes, they could not understand why they were called Patterdales - but one huntsman did mention to me at a show in Patterdale that Mr. Breay a few years earlier had showed his type of terrier and someone had named it the Patterdale terrier from Patterdale - and the name has stuck ever since. A lot of other people will argue that it should be Buck/Breay terriers, I personally don't think this is correct as Mr. Breay in his later years suffered badly from Athsma and he passed his terriers on to Frank Buck to work.

Again this is only my opinion and information that I have been told over the years by honest terrier men.

• Like 1