Wildlife Getting Closer

47 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

You reminded me someone pictured a ring neck in a garden in Dorset other day an a few people said they had spread all over London .but looks like they are starting to live in Dorset ?

Mate had one on his bird feeder in Gloucester a few years back 

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Learn to trust the dog mate.They know more than what we do.One of my pet hates has always been blokes trying to send their dogs down holes or encouraging them into cover like they know better than the

Seen a few in Cornwall, not common but they are here. Got bullfinches on my feeders this year, several goldies, few siskin and a few greenfinch as well as the usual stuff. Shit phone pics.

I was walking round the local estate recently and saw a green budgie in the woods interacting with a load of other small British birds quite naturally ,saw a pair of macaws flying free in Blaise  cast

Posted Images

Plenty of kites and buzzards this way and over in the Vale of Belvoir,  was a rare sighting 20 years ago, a success story I suppose. 

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Them green Parakeets drive me f****n mental screeching little c**ts another bird we've got in abundance round these parts.

They are on the general licence so fair game 😆 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Mate had one on his bird feeder in Gloucester a few years back 

It’s interesting to know which are recent escapees and which are (wild)

When I was a kid there was a pair of rosellas hanging around a small overgrown disused orchard in the village they had escaped from somewhere but after month or more they disappeared. 

1 hour ago, kanny said:

Plenty of kites and buzzards this way and over in the Vale of Belvoir,  was a rare sighting 20 years ago, a success story I suppose. 

Similar topic. Never saw ravens our way, moved to the southern end of the vale and there’s plenty here and apparently have been for ages. Weird how they haven’t spread though.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I see plenty on the M11 around Stansted theres a stretch of about 2 miles where i counted i think it was 6 Red Kites and 5 Fallow Deer roadkill in various states of ruin the other day its another one of the wildlife mysteries i was tempted to ask you's all about......it was like some sort of suicide pact had taken place as they definitely wasnt there a couple days previous.

Essex is lifting with fallow deer, there’s that big group graze at the side of the M25 of an evening and I don’t think that can be too far from you but more than that, head off into North Essex in the wee small hours and I have seen fields with 70 plus beasts stood in there like they don’t have a care in the world. 

Further out still, head out overnight to Woburn Abbey area and it’s unbelievable, muntjac just walking about at the side of the lanes, fallow, CWD……brilliant 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Similar topic. Never saw ravens our way, moved to the southern end of the vale and there’s plenty here and apparently have been for ages. Weird how they haven’t spread though.

Word has it that Socks only uses Ravens to communicate with the outside world ! 

• Haha 1

Funny enough a couple of Sunday's ago I was out mooching at first light and seen 4 parakeets , then seen them a few days later in a another stretch of woodland. I know they are all over the other side of Manchester from me, but I haven't seen any round here till now. And yeah I was surprised by how loud they was. 

Was only talking about red kites with a mate at the weekend saying we were surprised they haven’t turned up round us yet . We used to see a fair few round Harrogate when I used to go every week a few years ago but the closest I’ve seen one to home is on a roadkill pheasant on the blubberhouses . 
When I was the falconer on the tip I got sent a Pere/saker from a site in Oxford that had taken a dislike to red kites and done 4 in a week . The bloke I worked for said there was that many they couldn’t fly the bird there anymore because it would end up causing trouble and cost him the contract 

7 hours ago, WILF said:

Essex is lifting with fallow deer, there’s that big group graze at the side of the M25 of an evening and I don’t think that can be too far from you but more than that, head off into North Essex in the wee small hours and I have seen fields with 70 plus beasts stood in there like they don’t have a care in the world. 

Further out still, head out overnight to Woburn Abbey area and it’s unbelievable, muntjac just walking about at the side of the lanes, fallow, CWD……brilliant 

I remember 20 years ago going from Epping to Basildon and there would be 20 odd fallow in a field then go mile down the road  there would be another bunch .

Dorset has loads of sika spreading from the Poole area you can travel early morning and see similar numbers in a field that’s got woods behind it ,then couple fields down another  bunch .

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

See ravens most days here in Gloucestershire were I am 

Man has an unnatural effect on this world and the wildlife on it, we have intervened in so many ways That may be from persecution, Predation or Just down to how we have change the environment we live in to suit our needs, Nature will try to adapt but sometimes certain species sadly can not adapt or we don't let them adapt. when i was a kid the only buzzards i ever seen were down the M5 whilst travelling for the family holiday. I was probably 40 years old before i had seen a wild red kite. Nowadays we have an abundance of Buzzards and red kites along with Ravens, The other year i was on an estate one Sunday morning and witnessed a battle between half a dozen Buzzards and a single red kite, Someone had left a brace of pheasant hanging on a hedge from Saturdays shoot, The red kite was far more aggressive than the buzzards and claimed its spoils. 

9 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

It’s interesting to know which are recent escapees and which are (wild)

When I was a kid there was a pair of rosellas hanging around a small overgrown disused orchard in the village they had escaped from somewhere but after month or more they disappeared. 

I was walking round the local estate recently and saw a green budgie in the woods interacting with a load of other small British birds quite naturally ,saw a pair of macaws flying free in Blaise  castle woods as a kid looked quite impressive in flight think the polecats we are all seeing are bred and released like the otters though otters are now a self sustaining population seems the people behind this rewilding caper have now moved onto pine martinis so should be seeing lots of them sunning themselves on the side of roads this year got this beaver about 25mile from were I live no official release site around here otters have absolutely devastated the water foul population it’s incredible how destructive they are they hit the pike giddy when they came into spawn feb March now absolutely battering the nesting waterfowl finding signs of raided nests most mornings surprising what’s out there when you really look  lol

41649F0C-8BCD-45B7-BA80-FBBB3DB992F1.jpeg

F0AB37C8-D68A-4967-B9EA-EC7FF8BE81BF.jpeg

8575D84E-14E5-471E-BA03-4E8CE128BD6B.jpeg

25610B14-E773-41AA-BF10-BD3F3DAA8C95.jpeg

F2D50D5E-6AE5-4D81-B621-09BE959DD5F1.jpeg

80CF59C1-C972-43B3-AA03-AD25830D7E87.jpeg

• Like 6