not seen one for years, talking to a chap at work, when we were kids it was the most common finch around here. see plenty of goldies, bully's, chaffinch, but no greenies, is it same elsewhere? 

10 hours ago, fred90 said:

not seen one for years, talking to a chap at work, when we were kids it was the most common finch around here. see plenty of goldies, bully's, chaffinch, but no greenies, is it same elsewhere? 

Greenfinches went some years ago. They warned to not feed in the summer, because of the transfer of some disease?

We get plenty of Goldfinches and this year we have a good number of Siskins. 

• Like 1

Very rare i spot a greenie these day's on my regular walks local though goldies seem more common than they have ever been and it was great to see the large charm of linnets i saw on a daily basis feeding on a large field of what looked like set aside though walking through it it seemed their was small plants with seed heads that looked liked some sort of crop that had been left in the ground. It's  surprising to me how one type of finch their numbers seem to be rising and the greenie seem to be getting less common than it used to be years ago.

I get mobbed by them. The Goldfinches come in first then the Greenfinches and looked few minutes ago and theres a pair of Bullfinches. The last couple of week I've had one Redpole never seen one in the garden before. I feed sunflower hearts and niger seed.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 10/04/2024 at 13:48, paulus said:

Loads of Greenfinch and Goldfinch here, Not so many Chaffinch as there use to be and even fewer Bullfinch, 

greenfinch.png

I don't hear the piping of bullfinches' as much as i used to about 5 years ago.

Get a couple at the sunflower feeder along with a load of Goldie's and a few chaffinches. Had a bullfinch there for the first time the other day.

• Like 1

I stopped filling feeder in my back garden last year due to amount of ferals coming in, a by product of the solar panels neighbours have on their roofs. Just started putting seed in again and a pair of green finches visit daily. No ferals yet. Someone must have been shooting them with .177 Pro Sport.

The busiest feeder i'ver ever seen on the most remote farm i've ever worked on. Not sure how many different birds there though?

• Like 1