Old Grafters

Just now, Chid said:

People don't have common sense anymore.. they would risk their lives because the boss told them to I've seen it first hand on many occasions in the place I work and these ain't young lads these are ones in their 40s and 50s who should know better 

You can’t legislate for stupid mate which is what we do now and government make a tidy penny out of it.

What happened to “if you force someone to hurt themselves you get sued ?” 
Like most things there is already a deterrent, don’t need a whole industry designed to tell you not to and then just using the same deterrent that was always there if you do. 

It’s like that scene in that film with Brad Pitt where the Bruce Lee character says “if I accidentally kill you I go to jail” and Brad Pitt says “If anyone kills anyone accidentally they go to jail….it’s called manslaughter” 

As I said, this is real money earned by real people that could be going into real homes and by definition into high streets and local shops but instead gos to government to piss away on total f***ing nonsense……no wonder the gaff is in rag order. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as me,punched my guts out since leaving school and planned to be  semi retired at 50, mortgage free and be able to pick and choose 2/3 days a week for beer money...the rest of my days will hopefu

Watched my ole fella bust a gut till he couldn't anymore, spent his last years with a knackered body and eventually a knackered mind, fcuk working till mid seventies.  I'll graft away till my you

I've been a binman for the last 23 years . It used to be a great job , with decent money , decent hours , and a great bunch of lads to work with . I'm  unbelievably bored with it now and i feckin hate

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, WILF said:

That 700 quid is real money out of real work, it ain’t growing on trees…..and that seems to be the way now, various government agency’s just helping themselves at will.

They are all self funded now, that's why if you get a visit from the HSE they will always find a non compliance and issue a improvement letter charging for it. 

The EA just upgraded their permits adding extra "best available techniques" (BAT21). No problem you think, good they are on the case and getting to the route of pollution. You then get a bill for 3k pop through the post, you haven't asked for it and it probably wont make a jot of difference to the environment just another way to squeeze a bit more out of you.     

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

They are all self funded now, that's why if you get a visit from the HSE they will always find a non compliance and issue a improvement letter charging for it. 

The EA just upgraded their permits adding extra "best available techniques" (BAT21). No problem you think, good they are on the case and getting to the route of pollution. You then get a bill for 3k pop through the post, you haven't asked for it and it probably wont make a jot of difference to the environment just another way to squeeze a bit more out of you.     

And that mate is the inherent truth in all this, the productive (and by default ordinary people) is the only thing funding the non productive.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I take my hat off to you mate I did it for 5 years taking the job on when I was 40 with a scaffolder who just had me and another lad working with him who had council contracts and private work. I was used to hard graft but this idiot I worked for would work in passing down rain and snow and was getting good money but paying us a pittance. I was only labouring to him and another scaffolder but went on the spanners for a short while when the other scaffolder jacket to go on the power stations. I reckon their is not many scaffolders over 50 never mind 60.

It can be brutal on ya  if the moneys ther you work harder it’s not about like yrs back plus I ain’t got the drive for it or the same energy , nowadays I take it bit easier on me self as it taxes me esp in the 25 c temp and over in the summer , I just tell em grandad needs to go to Tesco’s and climb into the fridge freezer  lol 

I still enjoy it all but not all day 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2

I started slinging a chainsaw for my old man when I was a child cutting right of way for telephone lines.Spent my twenties working 2 full time jobs eating amphetamines.Spent my thirties building myself a small business.Now I'm forty.I work an average  of 2 days a week and hunt or fish the other 5 lol.I guess im semi retired.I hope to never fully retire.Just work my 2 days a week till the end.Yall older gentlemen still grinding away have my upmost respect.

• Like 6

I have known too many men that approached retirement with dread. A sad state of affairs but understandable as these were men who from early adulthood had done nothing but graft. No 9 -5, 5 days a week. Working all hours to provide for others. The white working class hetrosexual so often ridiculed and even despised by the modern left wing media. 

I'm counting the days. One major thing to do first, buy a property in a rural location and then that's me done.

Edited by eastcoast
buy not by
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I have known too many men that approached retirement with dread. A sad state of affairs but understandable as these were men who from early adulthood had done nothing but graft. No 9 -5, 5 days a week. Working all hours to provide for others. The white working class hetrosexual so often ridiculed and even despised by the modern left wing media. 

I'm counting the days. One major thing to do first, buy a property in a rural location and then that's me done.

I always remembered a chap I did my training with at the pit who was near to retirement he had no hobbies or interests and told me he was dreading the day he retired at 60 an age the union had fought for. When he did retire I would often see him when I finished the day shift sat in the canteen having a dinner and talking to other lad's. I thought it was sad tbh when all the old boys I knew who had hobbies wether it was pigeons whippets or there allotments you never saw them at the pit every day missing the place. 

• Sad 3
4 hours ago, green lurchers said:

It can be brutal on ya  if the moneys ther you work harder it’s not about like yrs back plus I ain’t got the drive for it or the same energy , nowadays I take it bit easier on me self as it taxes me esp in the 25 c temp and over in the summer , I just tell em grandad needs to go to Tesco’s and climb into the fridge freezer  lol 

I still enjoy it all but not all day 

Ye them 20 footers burn into your shoulder when its hot. Lol. Did you start scaffolding from a young age. Seen some scaffolders recently doing a job near me with cordless drills to tighten the clips up instead of spanners. 

1 minute ago, tatsblisters said:

Ye them 20 footers burn into your shoulder when its hot. Lol. Did you start scaffolding from a young age. Seen some scaffolders recently doing a job near me with cordless drills to tighten the clips up instead of spanners. 

Yes mate I hated it had wrong mind set done fair bit in cradles high up but was on double cos I was setting cradle up with scaffold great days 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Funny you should mention that ! Two of my neighbours ave just had gutters, drainpipes, soffits and facials done.

one squad done it all from ladders, the other had full on scaffolding done on the same houses. The scaffold squad used cordless tools, the other lads used hand tools.

I asked the neighbours what it cost, under the pretext of having my house done; the ladder lads were about a grand cheaper !

Cheers.

18 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Funny you should mention that ! Two of my neighbours ave just had gutters, drainpipes, soffits and facials done.

one squad done it all from ladders, the other had full on scaffolding done on the same houses. The scaffold squad used cordless tools, the other lads used hand tools.

I asked the neighbours what it cost, under the pretext of having my house done; the ladder lads were about a grand cheaper !

Cheers.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Yes mate I hated it had wrong mind set done fair bit in cradles high up but was on double cos I was setting cradle up with scaffold great days 

Like I said mate I take my hat off to you as the scaffolding job is not easy and everything thing is heavy from the boards to the clips .

In the states the vast majority of men working at scaffolding are under 35 . The reason being is you have to build a sidewalk shed first. Then you build the scaffolding on top of the shed . Most men don't last more than 10 years putting up sheds , they end up with back, shoulder or wrist problems . They use frame scaffolding ,which can be put up very quickly  and with the frame system you cannot use a harness .