Harkila coats

Way off the topic but I could not find the thread where people have recently been discussing matters of sartorial elegance. Panama hats and suchlike. Anyway, I'm going to a funeral tomorrow. Nothing too sad, an uncle who lived to 92. The last of the pitman generation in my family. His son posted on FB informing people of the loss and time and location of the funeral etc. He wrote that he would rather people wore bright cheerful clothes rather than the traditional sombre colours. The last few funerals that I have attended some  good natured but slightly piss taking comments have been made due to the fact I was wearing a black suit and tie. Apparently it is no longer regarded as necessary. When did that change?

I had a lot of respect for the gentleman that we are saying a last farewell to tomorrow and myself wearing a black 3 piece suit, crisp white double cuff shirt and highly polished black shoes to me is a sign of that respect. As I was taught by the generation before me and see no reason to change it. Out of consideration to his son (who has lived in Italy for the last 30 years), I will match it with a yellow silk tie. 

Edited by eastcoast
wore not whore :-)
  • Like 6

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carpe diem,you want that coat,you NEED that coat,don’t talk yourself out of it,I knew when I saw your opening post “shall I get it?” YES get the coat,be decisive,you actually like that coat,you know y

Looks a cracking coat....  But imagine snagging it on barbed wire 1st time out, I reckon I'd actually cry... Lol

I'm as tight as cramp. I've been stalking on the estate my mate works on and sleeping on his couch. One of my mates put on a group chat "I'll be surprised if he's wearing his own clothes"...... I look

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Way off the topic but I could not find the thread where people have recently been discussing matters of sartorial elegance. Panama hats and suchlike. Anyway, I'm going to a funeral tomorrow. Nothing too sad, an uncle who lived to 92. The last of the pitman generation in my family. His son posted on FB informing people of the loss and time and location of the funeral etc. He wrote that he would rather people whore bright cheerful clothes rather than the traditional sombre colours. The last few funerals that I have attended some  good natured but slightly piss taking comments have been made due to the fact I was wearing a black suit and tie. Apparently it is no longer regarded as necessary. When did that change?

I had a lot of respect for the gentleman that we are saying a last farewell to tomorrow and myself wearing a black 3 piece suit, crisp white double cuff shirt and highly polished black shoes to me is a sign of that respect. As I was taught by the generation before me and see no reason to change it. Out of consideration to his son (who has lived in Italy for the last 30 years), I will match it with a yellow silk tie. 

Last funeral I went to was up home, mate committed suicide, I wore black suit and tie as it's tradition, but some people turned up in jeans and trainers, times are changing I guess. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, gnipper said:

That's a relief I thought I was just a big fat b*****d but I'm not its them chinks with their dodgy tape measures 😄

I am 5 11 and about 14 stone though the Ridgeline coat also made by chinks in XL fits me perfect. 

4 minutes ago, mackem said:

Last funeral I went to was up home, mate committed suicide, I wore black suit and tie as it's tradition, but some people turned up in jeans and trainers, times are changing I guess. 

I always ware a dark suit for funerals or a black barbour type quilted jacket though a few mates who have passed who were dog men and poachers a few lads wore smart moleskin trousers and tweed jackets that I thought was not out of place. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I am 5 11 and about 14 stone though the Ridgeline coat also made by chinks in XL fits me perfect. 

I always struggle with sizes, it's worse in the army surplus place sifting through all the jackets are all squaddies midgets or summat?

7 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

Tried most of them expensive coats got a swazi smock I wear lamping now been alright jacket I like the big pocket at the front an zips under the arms for when it gets a bit sweaty Betty 

Got a couple of them Swazi fleece bush shirts well pleased with them tbh. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Got a couple of them Swazi fleece bush shirts well pleased with them tbh. 

Aye seems well made gear eh jackets aren’t cheap but do a turn had my 2 seasons a was looking at there fleeces they look not bad either 

1 hour ago, mackem said:

Every year I conduct apprenticeship interviews. Potential sparks, plumbers, fitters. The clip of some of the kids who turn up.  Now, I would never judge an applicant based purely on their appearance. But making an effort does make a good 1st impression. An applicant turning up in maybe not the best quality trousers and shoes and a tie or an ill fitting suit borrowed from a mate (I used to borrow suits when needed in times past) or wearing their school uniform gives a better impression than a kid wearing jeans, T shirt and trainers. Something that lots of kids are no longer being taught by schools or by their parents. 

• Like 4
On 04/02/2024 at 18:42, mackem said:

I don’t like that , but disrespectful I’d say. 

• Like 4
On 04/02/2024 at 18:51, tatsblisters said:

I always ware a dark suit for funerals or a black barbour type quilted jacket though a few mates who have passed who were dog men and poachers a few lads wore smart moleskin trousers and tweed jackets that I thought was not out of place. 

Its a tricky one if you're a traditionalist,we all went to the funeral of a big West Ham fan a few years ago who had wanted everyone turn up in claret and blue :cry:......not wanting to go against his wishes but still trying to conduct ourself correctly a lot of us went in the traditional black but with just a small Hammers badge or at most a scarf.......just wouldnt of felt right pitching up to a funeral in a football shirt 😫

• Like 3
On 04/02/2024 at 19:56, jackthelad said:

Aye seems well made gear eh jackets aren’t cheap but do a turn had my 2 seasons a was looking at there fleeces they look not bad either 

The Wind river is canny, windproof fleece, pockets the size of shopping trolleys, mine was made by Sandra, well I think it was Sandra, I'll let you know if it wasn't Sandra

10 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Its a tricky one if you're a traditionalist,we all went to the funeral of a big West Ham fan a few years ago who had wanted everyone turn up in claret and blue :cry:......not wanting to go against his wishes but still trying to conduct ourself correctly a lot of us went in the traditional black but with just a small Hammers badge or at most a scarf.......just wouldnt of felt right pitching up to a funeral in a football shirt 😫

Absolutely right !

It was one of the weird things to get our head round here when we moved, everyone rocks up to funerals dressed in anything !……from tracksuits to jeans to work trousers and a hi-viz !!!……..

I will absolutely never get used to that, ever ! 
My wife went to one dressed as you would in black and said she felt a bit awkward, some folks said to her “only the family ware black” but bollocks to that, I couldn’t be part of all shuffling after a coffin in line like you’re a load of scruffs waiting for the dole office to open ! 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, WILF said:

Absolutely right !

It was one of the weird things to get our head round here when we moved, everyone rocks up to funerals dressed in anything !……from tracksuits to jeans to work trousers and a hi-viz !!!……..

I will absolutely never get used to that, ever ! 
My wife went to one dressed as you would in black and said she felt a bit awkward, some folks said to her “only the family ware black” but bollocks to that, I couldn’t be part of all shuffling after a coffin in line like you’re a load of scruffs waiting for the dole office to open ! 

Think it's all part and parcel of being old school mate something i am rather proud of and i would never dream of attending a funeral in any other clobber than at least a shirt and black tie.

• Like 4