Hard headed pup

Afternoon, 

I'm at my wits end here and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I bought a pup at 14/15 months old green as grass and in my opinion very immature.

I've been in the game long enough to know there's more chancers than genuinely people selling dogs especially early on in the season but the dog was exactly what I wanted and a reasonable price........bedlington x greyhound.

I have been working tirelessly on recall for the last three weeks absolutely perfect on a long line perfect in the garden but give the little shit that tiny bit of trust let him go he just flicks the middle finger ad will not come back to the point I've actually just started walking away.

I've never come across this much of a problem before but I haven't owned anything with bedlington in it. 

Can anyone offer any advice or maby a method I'm overlooking as I'm really running out of patience.

Many thanks 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔 Bedlington hybrids can occasionally be hard work.... Sometimes folk forget the actual Bedlington Terrier connection.. These ancient types were originaly bred to hunt out their quarry in a most

Electric collar mate, I hate these things because people don’t use them propley but when used for correction and done at the right time they can save the dogs life 

Beddy xs can be tough on the old brain at times but once you actually become mates you understand each other and are on the same page the partnership becomes lovely. Something I’ve found over the year

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Peter4190 said:

Electric collar mate, I hate these things because people don’t use them propley but when used for correction and done at the right time they can save the dogs life 

spot on mate can be a handy tool stock breaking etc 

if the dog has had time  to get on with you it will return as soon as it’s shocked just press the vibrate first before shock and it you won’t need to shock it much at all the vibrate will be enough then the here will be enough soon enough 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tinder128 said:

Afternoon, 

I'm at my wits end here and wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I bought a pup at 14/15 months old green as grass and in my opinion very immature.

I've been in the game long enough to know there's more chancers than genuinely people selling dogs especially early on in the season but the dog was exactly what I wanted and a reasonable price........bedlington x greyhound.

I have been working tirelessly on recall for the last three weeks absolutely perfect on a long line perfect in the garden but give the little shit that tiny bit of trust let him go he just flicks the middle finger ad will not come back to the point I've actually just started walking away.

I've never come across this much of a problem before but I haven't owned anything with bedlington in it. 

Can anyone offer any advice or maby a method I'm overlooking as I'm really running out of patience.

Many thanks 

Try frys peppermint cream ,sounds daft but has worked before ,that was a beddy x aswell btw

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, tinder128 said:

Afternoon, 

Many thanks 

If the dog is staying within eyesight you could try tucking yourself in behind a tree and watching him until he looks round and cannot see you, give him some time to get a flap on then step out and call him in, even works with salukis this just got to be careful they don't go into all out meltdown flap and tear arse all the way back to the motor

• Like 3
3 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

If the dog is staying within eyesight you could try tucking yourself in behind a tree and watching him until he looks round and cannot see you, give him some time to get a flap on then step out and call him in, even works with salukis this just got to be careful they don't go into all out meltdown flap and tear arse all the way back to the motor

I tried that the other day mate hiding out of sight, I will keep working with him as there's definitely potential 

I know some folks don’t like to use food. But in yard or on line call dog give it bit cooked chicken or some thing. Just create the habit. Before you know it dog be flying back. Saying that food won’t compete over scent but you won’t be calling it back then anyway. Also common sense says you only call dog when you know you can win at least in early days but  sure you know all that anyway 

16 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I've often used this tactic too. As Aussie Whip says too, the vast majority of dogs are far more worried about loosing us than we are of loosing them. 

I've used the same tactic in reverse for cautious pups too. I'm lucky in having a decent sized wood as my main walk near home which is criss-crossed with dozens of paths. When a pup which is being too bold or wandering too far ahead I'll keep changing direction so that they learn to keep an eye on me and stay closer. However, with a more nervy pup I'll slow down, and sometimes completely stop, at a junction and kind of let the pup decide and then go the way the pup wants to go. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, tinder128 said:

Afternoon, 

Many thanks 

right,  2 things to look at here = age, breeding . 1st the age, it best to get any dog from 9 weeks old , build up the bond , and put few  little rules in , ok  all pups will try it on, but it will mold around  in 6 . 10 weeks   with repetitive  training , but nice and easy  with it . 2nd breeding , beddy xs  , now i know lots of people on here get on with this type x, ok no pob with that but for me . i had one years ago , it was beddy x whippet x grey  gen bred. it was the worst lurcher i ever had, no re call , very hard mouth  on anything , i had it 2 years  pts in the end, it had ( hard pad) it feet bled and open wounds, vet said it never get right , so pts , but was a massive lesson for me, as you got to get something  you get on with , it not got to be world beater , just good honest dog  tha gives 100% , and wants to please you , i  got on better with my pit x greys , than that beddyx fooker lol . so i found herding types suite  me lot better, dont get wrong they got  sensitive temps , that over the years have pissd me off, but i know what choose  1st, from them xs  . i suppose  mate, if you want a dog to be up and running at them, well you prob done right with its age, but with any young lurcher at that age its gamble  if works out for you and the dog, thats why the rescue kennels of full of them, more so now xmas ."