Brian Plummer.

25 minutes ago, mackem said:

Which part of Sutherland was that Leo,I was up there often around Dornoch,Helmsdale etc,my cousin still lives in Caithness,her husband is a fisherman.post-1930-1214341395_thumb.jpg

We have spoke before mack as are paths may ov crossed as I used to lamp brora , helmsdale , east Clyne ect. Also apart from my own little firm , I used to run with a manc inner city crew and I was up there with cloggsy aka g creswell net maker and Barry and the boys.  I used to lamp brora golf club a fair bit 

20220318_145827.jpg

20220318_145840.jpg

20220318_145910.jpg

20220318_145807.jpg

Edited by Leo Sayer
  • Like 8

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plummer and his books drew me to 2 things, the first was collie greyhounds and the second was Scotland.  From the moment I'd read all the books I dreamed of a blue mere half cross. But back then I cou

Don't know if it's just me but the older you get the faster it seems to go time that is.

Sadly I haven't been up for a good few years now. The last time I went we went island hopping off Orkneys. I took my old collie grey who I still have today but is 17 years old and on his last legs. I

Posted Images

Maybe I'm being  cynical,but he could have bought the Dr title from the Internet. Anybody can assume the title Dr. I also doubt very much whether he was a boxer in America. Lots of his claims don't add up. But lots of writers are fantasists. Nobel prize winner Hemingway made lots of claims  which don't bear scrutiny. Not that I'm suggesting the two had similar abilities as writers lol

Talking about Walter Mittys, I've also fancied buying a a dog collar from ebay and seeing how people react. I fancy going into supermarket, paying for stuff and saying " bless you my child". Just for fun. If clergy can fool people and spout lies  why can't I? I wouldn't go as far as to ask people for money like the real swindlers though. I just like the idea of swanning around claiming to have a direct line to God. Be a great laugh. I'll get my coat.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, mackem said:

Take the book from the shelf,nonchalantly look left,right,then left again then slip the book into your school blazer inside “Shoplifting” pocket or your school haversack,depart library with your “Treasure” #booktheft101

One thing I have wondered,what was he a Dr of?

9A1A4210-999B-4F59-801A-532E0B86E32F.jpeg

wasnt it something to do with translating Hebrew books ? sounds mad i know lol  

22 hours ago, mackem said:

Hadn’t heard of that,just watched the trailer,looks gritty,I shall find it to download,thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, waltjnr said:

Cheers timmy ,I'll be watching that ! 

I expect to hear rave reviews. If your a Vigo fan there's another gooden where he acts as a chauffeur/ body guard for the black fella out of the third true detective series, based on a true story if I remember right, but cant remember what its called.  Whilst on about true detective watch the 1st and 3rd, don't bother with the 2nd its shite and doesn't follow on anyway, so you won't miss nowt.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, waltjnr said:

Korda tackle have bought loads into carp fishing ,and on the whole not a good thing ,but least they sell up and move onto an xl bully ,

All about the money mate, reel them in and rinse them dry, One born every minute and all that. 

6 hours ago, mackem said:

Which part of Sutherland was that Leo,I was up there often around Dornoch,Helmsdale etc,my cousin still lives in Caithness,her husband is a fisherman.post-1930-1214341395_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure it's the exact same location mate but there is a plaque in a layby on the A9 saying the same thing about the last wolf being shot there. I pulled in there for a coffee out of the flask on the way up to Plummer land 25/26 years ago! I've got an old pic of it somewhere. I looked it up and found it on Google earth for a mate that moved to Dornoch a few years back. I think it's just below Bora if I remember correctly. The lay-by is on the left as you go North. Nice pic by the way!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mackem said:

Found the Wolf stone Leyo put up..

WWW.NNH.CO.UK

The Wolf Stone, The place in Sutherland where surposedly the last wolf in Scotland was...

• Thanks 2
23 hours ago, mackem said:

Was he self published,huddlesford publications I think?Got a misspelt modern ferretting first edition in storage in the UK.

Ha. I had the one with the misspelling on the cover too.  I remember my Mum ,who worked as a spell checker in an audio typing pool spotted it immediately. 

I was convinced she was wrong as l naively thought that surely a publishing company wouldn't make such a mistake...

I gave all my Plummer books away; don't  miss em .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Plummer  brought the world of lurchers, terriers and ferrets out into the public  arena. Previously, the only time  you saw the word 'lurcher' was in the now defunct Exchange and Mart which was a weekly magazine where you could buy all,sorts. A bit like an offline Ebay. I guess he set Hancock up in business and despite producing some duffers, he also produced some cracking dogs.

Those who knew him reckon he was a wrong un, or partly a wrong un, but he did introduce a lot of folk into the sport because of his writings. I believe his terriers delivered what they said on the tin.

Nah. The classic  Pedigree Unknown  by Phil Drabble came out ten years before Plummer started writing ..... "By chance" his work shall we say "mirrors"  a fair bit of Drabble's experience, especially regarding rat hunting.....