Produce your own.........

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Well, I have promised some cooked produce photos. Tonight's tea, double pork chops....... Bloody gorgeous and now I am stuffed! Genuinly have grown to appreciate food more. We have all got u

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Greyman said:

Always kept chickens for eggs never found them that expensive at all mostly fed on table scraps with the odd bag of layers pellets to supplement and treat the sleeping accommodation with liquid paraffin to kill the mites 

Liquid paraffin?? Where do you get that I’m keen to try again with a few chooks.is it that burning liquid you put a wick into for them party lantern things?

44 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

Liquid paraffin?? Where do you get that I’m keen to try again with a few chooks.is it that burning liquid you put a wick into for them party lantern things?

Liquid paraffin can be got from Amazon .. or your local chemist it's not burning liquid .. can be used for constipation 😂

Chickens are settling in new shed, 6 turkey chicks doing well, 5 turkey eggs look fertile in the incubator. Also....CPH has come through. Off on jollies this week, then got 2 berkshire black weaners sorted for collection.

it's all coming together, let's see how it goes.👌

20230817_195906.jpg

• Like 10
On 13/08/2023 at 22:00, Qbgrey said:

It’s like a fine oil and apparently it stops the mites breathing when they get coated in itI had wooden sheds and just painted it on all the interior wood but there’s lots of info online 👍

69C243EC-8DDD-4FEE-B437-9BEF27C825D9.png

6E0FE69C-7D56-4819-A045-570B1E19CB22.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the hard part of the chicken run (future poly tunnel) done today, all posts in. Just need to trim tops off level as the scaff poles were all different lengths. Then get the hoops on. Wanted to go a bit wider but had to bring it back in to make sure kept the natural curve of the pipe. Ended up 3m wide and 8m long. Plenty big enough. Got the kids involved as always.

Next job is sorting the pig pen, arranged to collect to Berkshire Black weaners next week!!!

20230828_141644.jpg

20230828_184431.jpg

20230828_185144.jpg

• Like 7
On 29/07/2023 at 14:10, WILF said:

318F72D7-EF78-4F55-90D5-599547BC2233.jpeg.2ecb9818df9e2ebfe2a9f6fac9404fbd.jpeg

This is the electric fence unit I use mate and they don’t mess with it. 
Will power upto about 20 acres if I remember correctly although my pigs were only kept on one of my fields of about an acre.

But it did all my property for cattle as well, so at about €250-280 it will do anything the small holder needs and is a good investment. 

Do you use the rope or tape? Not sure what the difference is.....I was guna go with double row of barbed wire at base of posts but considering elec fence instead. Just looked on cheetah website and they do a 10acre mains one for £125 

WWW.CHEETAHONLINE.CO.UK

Product Specifications: Fence up to 10 acres or 1 mile of electric wire. 230v Mains powered. One output...

We only have half acre at home so this will be oversized if anything.

13 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Do you use the rope or tape? Not sure what the difference is.....I was guna go with double row of barbed wire at base of posts but considering elec fence instead. Just looked on cheetah website and they do a 10acre mains one for £125 

WWW.CHEETAHONLINE.CO.UK

Product Specifications: Fence up to 10 acres or 1 mile of electric wire. 230v Mains powered. One output...

We only have half acre at home so this will be oversized if anything.

I use the thin rope mate, I’m personally not a fan of tape as it catches the wind too much and is much harder to put neatly back on a reel when you want to roll it up and move it.

For you box it’s not the acre size, it’s the joules output you want to look at.

So from memory, and I may be way off, but your normal battery fencing is about 1.5 or 2 joules output and my mains box is like 8 or 11 or something…..you get the drift anyway.

So basically for thick lads like me, it is the equivalent to a gentle push that you don’t give a monkeys about  or a real hard smack that you won’t want second helpings of. 

Pigs are tanks, just keep that in mind and you won’t go far wrong.

Hope that’s of some help mate.

Just to add: I don’t think pigs will take much notice of barb wire, if they want to go they will go and you will just end up with a torn up pig if it penetrates their skin at all….which it probably won’t.

Pigs don’t like the short sharp wack of electric and you can move it wherever you want whenever you want into the bargain. 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, WILF said:

I use the thin rope mate, I’m personally not a fan of tape as it catches the wind too much and is much harder to put neatly back on a reel when you want to roll it up and move it.

So from memory, and I may be way off, but your normal battery fencing is about 1.5 or 2 joules output and my mains box is like 8 or 11 or something…..you get the drift anyway.

So basically for thick lads like me, it is the equivalent to a gentle push that you don’t give a monkeys about  or a real hard smack that you won’t want second helpings of. 

Just to add: I don’t think pigs will take much notice of barb wire, if they want to go they will go and you will just end up with a torn up pig if it penetrates their skin at all….which it probably won’t.

Pigs don’t like the short sharp wack of electric and you can move it wherever you want whenever you want into the bargain. 

Looks like have to step up a few models to get the joules up. Think this might be same as yours, cheetah super. Does 7 joules. That other one was only 1 joule.

Screenshot_20230830_155652_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, WILF said:

Wilf do you use the plastic electric fence posts? Or do you use timber posts and the screw in insulators? Also might be daft question but does the electric fence wire just go straight into the red/black outlets or do I need another interconnecting part between? I assumed there would be 2 cables with the kit with clips on end to clip onto the wire? Can't seem to find any info on them.