Frontline spray on my little birds does the job but maybe a bit costly on bigger birds. I think its called exzolt people are recommending now. Same active ingredient as dogs bravecto tablets which I got tempted to chop up and try on the birds.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/06/2023 at 08:46, tank34 said:

Creosote kills them the old stuff , blow torch huts then jet wash out one's aweek for 4 week gets rid 

True with the old creosote can't find that much these days. Thing is when you get red mite In timber frames it's a pure b*****d to keep on top of. Best thing to do is burn the b*****d to ground and start again. Try make the housing untouchable for mite to bed in. Run the inside of the house with pvc then seal around all edges 

2 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

True with the old creosote can't find that much these days. Thing is when you get red mite In timber frames it's a pure b*****d to keep on top of. Best thing to do is burn the b*****d to ground and start again. Try make the housing untouchable for mite to bed in. Run the inside of the house with pvc then seal around all edges 

Poo! That's put me off getting some chickens again. We lost our last lot several years ago and the wife and kids were keen to get some more. I used to house them in an eglu and run (but let them free range during the day). However, I thought of placing the eglu inside the old dog run (12' x 4') to keep them more secure, but your thoughts on red mite are making me have second thoughts.

4 hours ago, Neal said:

Poo! That's put me off getting some chickens again. We lost our last lot several years ago and the wife and kids were keen to get some more. I used to house them in an eglu and run (but let them free range during the day). However, I thought of placing the eglu inside the old dog run (12' x 4') to keep them more secure, but your thoughts on red mite are making me have second thoughts.

Honest if you get a big infestation in a timber frame housing for hens there a nightmare. And alot used to say about the old creosote back in day that it was great for hitting big infestation of mite. Duramitex was a good one the old stuff but they've taken the certain ingredient out that would wipe the infestation out with one hit. Now a think it's just the spray they do , which is ment to be a load of shite. For my birdroom I buy these smoke bombs which are really good not the herbal shite ones. The ones I get are from killgerm brilliant. I remove the birds then hit it. And every creepy crawly comes from out of the wood work. This year I've not had any red mite. Saying that for past few seasons. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, paddyluke said:

taurrus predatory mites, used for reptiles and chickens

WWW.DRAGONFLI.CO.UK

*There is a lead time on this product. Please order by 10am Wednesday for dispatch the following Tuesday...

You learn something new , because wouldn't of thought at all that snakes an reptiles would get mites.