lack of rabbits

2 hours ago, fred90 said:

there as always been summer hunting, but it's far worse now. infra red, thermal imaging call it what you want, they don't have a chance. they all shout pest control but it's far from sporting. if that's hunting I would rather be skinny dipping with fxxking barrymoor (again). 

2 hours ago, gnipper said:

And when they run out of bunnies to rifle the hares and cubs are next on the menu

There have been/are, plenty of lurcher owners just as bad as shooters.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warning, if you have a few rabbits, best get into em because once RHD arrives it will blow an awful lot down, up to over 90%. This is why I've read many comments on about "oh there were a few rabbits

I'm not against airgunners but once the warm weather comes there out in Force all over the country on the rabbits I'd of thought they'd be more on with rats greys pigeons n crows etc, problem is alot

This time of yr,I only take the odd rabbit with wires or the odd duck/squirrel/wood pigeon with a catty , purely for fresh ferret food(freezers always full with what we catch through the season and th

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Dunt talk like a c**t furg

I speak the truth, blacky.  Plenty of lurcher owners will lamp and ferret places until there's practically f**k all left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
51 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I speak the truth, blacky.  Plenty of lurcher owners will lamp and ferret places until there's practically f**k all left.

Ferret maybe ,but not lamping if there's not many about they soon get wise and u won't kill many ,an absolute c wi a thermal scope on his rifle that's like the bran flakes a different matter 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

There have been/are, plenty of lurcher owners just as bad as shooters.

I don't doubt you at all, point I was making is even over hunting, dog, ferrets etc, they have a chance, other method it's not sport at all. 

• Like 1

This time of yr,I only take the odd rabbit with wires or the odd duck/squirrel/wood pigeon with a catty , purely for fresh ferret food(freezers always full with what we catch through the season and the raw for the dogs anyway)..I leave any cubs alone these days unless asked to deal with them..I know loads of lads who don't stop? spend all summer killing anything half grown? ...I used to be that ruthless...that's not for me now...I like to spend the summer evenings fishing up the river or down the coast,and take a dog and a kid or 2...find that stops the Mrs moaning to much in the season then?DSC_1680.JPG.2ecc5e5e04bff12dcd1799f636574d6b.JPG

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

This time of yr,I only take the odd rabbit with wires or the odd duck/squirrel/wood pigeon with a catty , purely for fresh ferret food(freezers always full with what we catch through the season and the raw for the dogs anyway)..I leave any cubs alone these days unless asked to deal with them..I know loads of lads who don't stop? spend all summer killing anything half grown? ...I used to be that ruthless...that's not for me now...I like to spend the summer evenings fishing up the river or down the coast,and take a dog and a kid or 2...find that stops the Mrs moaning to much in the season then?DSC_1680.JPG.2ecc5e5e04bff12dcd1799f636574d6b.JPG

Good on ya

18 hours ago, fred90 said:

there as always been summer hunting, but it's far worse now. infra red, thermal imaging call it what you want, they don't have a chance. they all shout pest control but it's far from sporting. if that's hunting I would rather be skinny dipping with fxxking barrymoor (again). 

I would say some of them its just a target to shoot at then again i have seen a lot of pics on catapult Facebook pages of very young rabbits being taken same again just a target to some then again i can't really condemn them as i will still shoot young and old squirrels and pigeons.

• Like 1
On 29/05/2023 at 01:52, toolebox said:

Warning, if you have a few rabbits, best get into em because once RHD arrives it will blow an awful lot down, up to over 90%. This is why I've read many comments on about "oh there were a few rabbits on my permission, but now they have just disappeared"I know what that relates to. These comments appear to relate to areas from one end of the country, to the other, sadly nature will have to run its course, hopefully the numbers will build back up with the passing of some years. The sport of catching rabbits is under pressure from so many quarters in your country and worldwide, as mentioned the lack of rabbits, the public outlook on chasing & catching rabbits, using dogs, the removing of cover & building over of ground that was once held rabbits. In my country, we are certainly behind but given time we will find ourselves in the same place because  hunting worldwide is under threat, it's not viewed as a favourable pastime, so I think our generation has seen the best of it. Back in the day, it was the way people fed themselves, once we moved away from that, it then became a hobby/sport, supported only by those that engaged in this sport.OMG how far we have slipped, I wonder what grandad would say ?my bet is he would not be able to understand & he certainly not would view it all as anything ... good...  

Great Post.  Imo the rabbit man should try and help out mid winter . Catch 6 rabbits let a few go where they have disappeared or are struggling.  And fingers xd an immunity will eventually build up over the years . Unfortunately they are looking into a 3rd strain . Always release near grazing pastures etc . They get picked off in the arable during summer months 

There's a bit of land i went to last night which has a fair few rabbits, most i've seen for a while, landowners wants numbers reduced on his hay field. Cant believe i may be able to bag a few! 

Edited by Aled
20 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Seemingly young rabbits are unaffected by RHD, but once mature, they succum to the virus. That is why it often looks like a recovery, but it's short lived.

Trouble wi you Always looking on the bright side ??

• Haha 3
On 20/06/2023 at 10:02, EDDIE B said:

Seemingly young rabbits are unaffected by RHD, but once mature, they succum to the virus. That is why it often looks like a recovery, but it's short lived.

That is correct for RVHD1 but not the now dominant RVHD2 that can effect rabbits if all ages. 

• Like 1