APBT x wheaten

12 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

Ah lad, any good fox lurcher willl go through a fukcing wall to get at his game and if he doesn’t bye bye. So your telling me if a fox leaves cover and you slip your dog he courses it and the fox runs in you expect the dog to pull up and wait for you to come for a bolt fcuk that. Good dog will be shifting soil trying to get up and if it’s small enough dog and a big enough spot he’s gone. I’d disagree with you any decent lurcher I’ve seen will stop at nothin to get at his game . And if he does he’s no good to me. 

Fine line between a strong marking lurcher and one that goes to ground on fox. Most usually catch on there's more for them above than below. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a new pup join the ranks . Been here 2 weeks now and settling in nicely. Was a little noisy in the kennel for the first week but now as quiet as a mouse . 4 month old APBT x wheaten bred by my fri

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs.  This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about

Posted Images

19 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

Ah lad, any good fox lurcher willl go through a fukcing wall to get at his game and if he doesn’t bye bye. So your telling me if a fox leaves cover and you slip your dog he courses it and the fox runs in you expect the dog to pull up and wait for you to come for a bolt fcuk that. Good dog will be shifting soil trying to get up and if it’s small enough dog and a big enough spot he’s gone. I’d disagree with you any decent lurcher I’ve seen will stop at nothin to get at his game . And if he does he’s no good to me. 

Depends I suppose what your into if thats the type you like thats your preferance,I gave up keeping lurchers long ago but I never like those brain dead types that broke them selves up of wire and f****d about trying to dig them selves in,a lurcher marking is one thing but digging a lurcher out.I was out there the end of the season digging a fox with a fella he brought two lurchers the pair were trying to dig up the enterance where the fox had gone to ground anyway long story short terrier couldnt get up to the fox and after maybe an hour or so he bolted and the two lurchers were still digging away , had one of those lurchers had a brain and stood off and waited that would have been a dead fox.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

Depends I suppose what your into if thats the type you like thats your preferance,I gave up keeping lurchers long ago but I never like those brain dead types that broke them selves up of wire and f****d about trying to dig them selves in,a lurcher marking is one thing but digging a lurcher out.I was out there the end of the season digging a fox with a fella he brought two lurchers the pair were trying to dig up the enterance where the fox had gone to ground anyway long story short terrier couldnt get up to the fox and after maybe an hour or so he bolted and the two lurchers were still digging away , had one of those lurchers had a brain and stood off and waited that would have been a dead fox.

That fox was missed because of the the men there and not the dogs, how hard is it to put a lurcher on a slip and stand back while the other man is digging. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

That fox was missed because of the the men there and not the dogs, how hard is it to put a lurcher on a slip and stand back while the other man is digging. 

I’m talking about hunting covers with hounds out to lurchers. You don’t catch them all ? Standing out from covers for a slip dog runs it and it runs in. I’m not on about just having the dog out digging but anyways look we’ll agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Hatch28 said:

So what would you like your dog to do if he’s running a fox and fox goes through wire ? Pull up so he doesn’t get hurt and just watch the fox run off. That’s a jacker mate. Dog should go out over or through it after his game. Same with ditches. If your lurcher is stopping at wire or ditches your gonna Miss a lot of foxes and dog not worth feeding. Just my opinion 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, sionnach99 said:

So what would you like your dog to do if he’s running a fox and fox goes through wire ? Pull up so he doesn’t get hurt and just watch the fox run off. That’s a jacker mate. Dog should go out over or through it after his game. Same with ditches. If your lurcher is stopping at wire or ditches your gonna Miss a lot of foxes and dog not worth feeding. Just my opinion 

Should be jumping fences lurchers with broken necks and legs dont catch alot either.Lurchers should be bred for brain aswell as gameness.

15 minutes ago, Hatch28 said:

Should be jumping fences lurchers with broken necks and legs dont catch alot either.Lurchers should be bred for brain aswell as gameness.

Being honest I’d rather a dog that would die trying than one that stops up at a fence or ditch. Just nature of the game you try and keep risk to a minimum but at same time u can’t wrap them in wool. There’s no excuse for a dog that stops up after it’s game. It’s a risk every time you slip that dog. No more than putting a dog to ground, or a horse jumping a hurdle or whatever. All I know is if a lurcher stops up after a fox at ditch or fence he’s not for me. Everyone has their own preference in dogs each to their own who am I to say.

• Like 4
On 22/05/2023 at 18:26, dogmandont said:

Nothing worse than lads lettin a lurcher run lose round a dig. Those lads have less brains than the dog. Or even worse is when lads get bored after 5 minutes and there standing at the diggin with the dog then foxy slips out from the spot they where told to stand at 

• Like 2
On 18/05/2023 at 21:26, Hannibal3 said:

I’m the owner of the pup. My friend bred the litter to add an outcross to his wheatens as the blood is very tight and very inbred as most genuine working wheatens are . This certainly was not the case of just using what was readily available and putting any old dog to any old dog . The bull bitch was from excellent stock and the wheatens very well worked . If any of the 6 pups he gifted out ( mine included in that ) do what they are supposed to do then he may put back to his wheatens . The man has plenty of money , plenty of game to hunt and travels all over Europe working and testing his dogs so can do things with his dogs that most of us unfortunately cannot do . 

A good pal knows of the breeder and his breeding partner. He met them at a dog show that he was judging and said they don’t have a working wheaten between them. The majority of the dogs they have are half crosses and his main male and his pups are nothing more than chinwaggers in the field.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Setenta said:

A good pal knows of the breeder and his breeding partner. He met them at a dog show that he was judging and said they don’t have a working wheaten between them. The majority of the dogs they have are half crosses and his main male and his pups are nothing more than chinwaggers in the field.

Is He the same fella whos over the fb that supposed to have stole a fellas dog , ps what’s a chinwagger ??‍♂️never heard it before 

On 30/05/2023 at 22:28, Jackmo said:

Is He the same fella whos over the fb that supposed to have stole a fellas dog , ps what’s a chinwagger ??‍♂️never heard it before 

I couldn’t tell you.

Chinwagger - talks a lot. In this case the dog barks a lot

On 30/05/2023 at 19:54, Setenta said:

Your good friend cannot know much as the man has no breeding partners. Neither goes he go to dog shows. Your friend is referring too the idiot with a big beard who puts videos of his dogs on badgers and was the subject of a bbc documentary.

Yes that guys works his dogs but at the peril of bringing heat on everyone around him .He had one of my friends wheatens but when he was exposed on telly my friend went and took the dog back . The bearded man is an idiot yes but no one can deny he walks the walk as far as working dogs are concerned. He is the owner of the dog storm mentioned earlier on .

You won’t find any one slagging that dog off , if they are then they are liars . Simple as . The man may be a c**t but his dogs aren’t. So if your good friend is saying this guys dogs are barkers then I will be so bold as to say your friend is talking shit.

• Like 1