Metal detecting Guys

31 minutes ago, ringo said:

The bit with the holes in could be a book clasp.

interesting never seen thought of that.

thought it might be the opposite end to a buckle on a belt or harness strap.

Cheers Arry

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well out today windy as f**k ground was hard work with sensitivity few buttons and pennies and crap was about to give up as the farm as been hit hard by a club. Then hit a Roman Dolphin brooch ga

Out today with the new spade got to say it's very good. Dug some junk but did get a 1697 William 3rd sixpence was chuffed with that. Cheers Arry

No Mack I'm going to taste both. Cheers Arry

Posted Images

Well been out again few interesting little bits.

Any you metal detecting guy know if this is a Roman coin. 29mm rough diameter.

P1220945.JPG.4eab2f8b8e9507a889aee96d82c4b492.JPG

IMG_8082.jpeg.d2165420482215c7ae5bf228bef16fa5.jpeg

IMG_8099.jpeg.75368b03d16b054bddf034f5d0284960.jpeg

Reckon a horse brass looks like a greyhound on it.

IMG_8095.jpeg.f6d17d278d7292effc2ba4d2e2f0899a.jpeg

A Button with a Pheasant with a crown around its neck. J Humphre on the back.

P1220955.JPG.79c008fc6de66c9fa8df014fb4537cb6.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
7 hours ago, steve66 said:

Some interesting bits there Ary , bottom is a livery button not to sure on the rest , are they eyes only finds or detecting finds ?

Thanks Steve.

I would class myself as a novice still I have a 540 Vanquish as my first metal detector been doing it about 18 months now. Found loads of coins all but one copper one six pence but still no hammered Lol. Loads of bullet and casings ends of 12 bore cartridges odd stuff but in interested in all stuff as I do mostly fields. Used to do field walking look for flints when I had the JR's and still pick a few up while out detecting. Loads of buttons even very small ones at depth and of coarse loads and loads of lead and bloody square nails but getting better as distinguishing them, and still get fooled by horse shoes.

The coin I think is Roman as you can make out a head and a little bow thing on the back of the neck, hard to show the detail on a photo. Did find another copper but as with most I find the face's are etched away leaving a copper disc.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Good detector the vanquish , used a 540 myself for beach detecting , dont do land much these days sadly around here the big clubs have taken over so permission is hard to come by 

As for hammerds its a funny game detecting , i used a minelab explorer for afew years and never found one the only thing i discrimed out was iron and dug everything else 

One saturday when i was detecting with a mate we decided to swap detectors for afew hours as he wanted to try the explorer and i used his ace 250 

one hour later he found he found his first hammerd , i had to smile through gritted teeth and say well done ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, steve66 said:

Good detector the vanquish , used a 540 myself for beach detecting , dont do land much these days sadly around here the big clubs have taken over so permission is hard to come by 

As for hammerds its a funny game detecting , i used a minelab explorer for afew years and never found one the only thing i discrimed out was iron and dug everything else 

One saturday when i was detecting with a mate we decided to swap detectors for afew hours as he wanted to try the explorer and i used his ace 250 

one hour later he found he found his first hammerd , i had to smile through gritted teeth and say well done ?

Love the ace 250, had 3 hammered with mine 

• Like 1

I’d love to have a go at detecting around here ,loads of Roman activity back in the day ,plenty stone coffins and small bits dug from round by me ….. most I’ve every found was an apostle spoon ….and I dug that up from a few feet down in back garden. 

F60E868B-8F7C-47FC-B5BB-30922DDF4E48.jpeg

99D86795-64ED-4BD3-B1E3-0BCBC3248105.jpeg

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

I’d love to have a go at detecting around here ,loads of Roman activity back in the day ,plenty stone coffins and small bits dug from round by me ….. most I’ve every found was an apostle spoon ….and I dug that up from a few feet down in back garden. 

F60E868B-8F7C-47FC-B5BB-30922DDF4E48.jpeg

99D86795-64ED-4BD3-B1E3-0BCBC3248105.jpeg

I'll sell you my detector if you want ??

1 minute ago, Arry said:

Think I found a match for that coin.

IMG_8111.jpeg.c945dd087d2b78d9c1c5f5c5087ee0f7.jpeg

P1220943.JPG.c8a609a7ccc38490c45204526157a326.JPG

IMG_8082.jpeg.76c1b4777d46b99598ab5fc328418b41.jpeg

Cheers Arry

That’s really cool ,still marvel , and am amazed by history , I’d give a pack of soft mints for a time machine for a day to go back to Roman England ,I get lost in the moment  every time I visit/work at the Roman Baths ( regular as it’s free to residents of the city ) 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, steve66 said:

Wife had the ace for afew years and the laser rapier both good machines 

No idea what hammered is in relation to detecting, But i took a mate out with his detector whilst exercising my dogs at the time, 5 minutes and he found one of the silver little coins that they use to cut pieces off, made him happy what ever it was,