1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

was horrified to see a largish frog snap up and "swallow" a newt.

Sorry, mate. Got distracted. Had a shitty day. Now embroiled in scouring the net for *just* that shot. I actually like the one I have best. But, I don't know whose it is. I searched for the outfit in the watermark. Nothing came of it :( Obviously, I'd like a much bigger file.

But, yeah; Frogs eating shit? Basically what they do, isn't it? Loads of them ye just can't trust with shit. Cuban Tree Frogs are famous for it. Ceratophrys? Last man standing, ye let Those fukking things get together! My bullfrog crams shit in that'd choke a goat.

Mind you; Ye wanna see my Snapper, now! Fukkin thing! Gave him FOUR day old chicks, the other day. Just to see what he'd do. Fukking thing looked at me as if to say; " Yes? And ....? "

I ran away.

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate , you f***ing need to get out more pal !! 

Make him know what could happen! 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, mackem said:

What's this?

:( God alone knows, mate. Hyla species? Most likely. But, what sort? Fukk knows!

We'd really need to know where it is, to start with. Even then, there's the risk of how it got there. Always possible it's an accidental import. And that would be best sussed out by knowing its location. And what's supposed to be there.

But, yeah, in the absence of anyone Really clued up on that branch of shit? I could stick my neck out and say probable Hyla / 'Tree Frog' ?

Bit like saying a land locked hard back if probably a tortoise. I know :rolleyes:

• Like 1
On 13/09/2022 at 20:25, Ken's Deputy said:

Okay, lads. Nothing wrong with a bit of second opinion. I've searched DDG till my eyes have fukking bled. Guiding criteria has been No Niggers / animals. They tend to fukk shit up by not moving.

No man made shit. 'Bush hotel' buildings spoil everything too. As do bloody Watermarks! No good having " @ " dotted all over my scene :rolleyes:

Finally, being as these frogs tend to be around the margins of shallower, stiller water bodies? I like the 'from the waters edge' sort of perspective, if possible.

I've got two contenders. Both can just about hold their own when blown up 400 times ? This is where a 'real' digital photo would be the crippler. Couple of megs, as people tend to take these days.

But, here's my best shots, so far:

400.jpg.dc45bcc2be785ea90e66736551de42ca.jpg

And 2.

654306671_4001.jpg.7d171ddf652e590a752318f435e476f2.jpg

Anyone else?

Apocolypse Now

• Haha 1

Post reminds me when my dad put in a request for 100 Leopard and 100 bull frogs ( dead for dissection ,he's a science teacher ) with the school. Well somone put in the wrong order code and a week later they came into the the class room with 6boex all croaking.  Well something happed and all the boxes end up falling off the dolly busting open and I ene dip getting called out of class to come help catch 200 off live frogs roaming the halls ?? old man said he didn't wanna kill them and we couldn't return them so end up releasing them in some of our cow ponds and keeping some as pets the bullfrogs where kinda weird . Had four in a big tank and one would sit in each corner and just kinda look at the others weird.

Wild bullfrog legs good eating though 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

RFUK? Banned, mate. Long ago.

Eating? 90% slugs. Gets a frozen 8-10g fluff once in a blue moon. I'm just not happy with his shitting, yet.

Last one used to devour full grown's. Then shit like a Dog, few days later. Think I've seen this one pass a proper pellet about once now. Found the skull, that time. Now? Just not seeing that fur.

All appetites seem normal though. Growing nicely. Dunno .....

Dendrobates? Back in my day, they were things of mystery and legend. Think Staniszewski cracked the genome there. His work with mantellas. Now ....?

Must say, I'm really rather all round fukking blown away at much of what I see, today. No internet, in my time. We spread information by word of mouth. Writing letters and putting them in the post box to each other. Found shit out by doing it.

Now? They say there's five or six forms of pyxicephalus, and counting?! :icon_eek: Jesus fukking christ!!!

Still searching for That photo .....

Pm me a few pics and I'll send them to my mate who runs a reptile house ,he imports all types of amphibians so he should be able to tell what type of bull frog you got ,

As long as he's eating and growing all is well ,do you have him in a live tank ? All planted out ,I always kept my reptiles in live tanks and even had several species living in same enclosure but mainly dwarf chameleons and gecko's. I never liked the way some kept vivs sterile ,I was offered a pair of monkey tailed skinks last week ,very rare to find captive bred ones never mind a pair .

I started keeping reptiles in 80s as a boy and like you i had to write letters to other keepers ,

Lost my old lurcher yesterday so I'm heart broken ,he not the greatest worker but to me he was the one in a lifetime dog ,I sobbed like a baby x

• Sad 2
3 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Lost my old lurcher yesterday so I'm heart broken

:( Man, that is terrible. Nothing a man can say about it. I've just trained myself, over the years, to let myself have three, four days. No more. Then, I close the book and move on.

Pix? I'll work on it. Should have one or two of when I first got him. Everything screamed Edulis, then. But, that was from the mind set that only really had the normal to compare with.

Then, I bought that feted book, by those two guys? Internet seems to have it as the greatest thing since a bible?

Frankly? I feel it's utter shit. Some child like scrap book cobbled together to dig at that other guy they disagreed with.

It, basically, tells us fukk all! Guy has new knowledge to impart, willingly? He writes it. Seriously; If ye picked up that book, knowing absolutely shit about how to keep and care for a bullfrog? What the fukk good would it have done ye, by the time ye finished it?

Here's a thing ~ and this is gods honest truth: Couple of hours ago, I was in the loo. (Sorry about that image!) Fact is, I Think best when I've just opened my eyes and am laying there, surfacing. And, sometimes, in the loo. Only, the latter, for some weird as hell fukking reason, most often raises the same thought:

" I really Must see if those Polish Doctors are still alive. I need to tell them I think I've cracked how I did it. "

I bred these newts, see. About twenty five years ago now. Seems I was probably the Third person ever to have managed that. The other two were known of, globally. One was an absolute kunt who was going to take the secret to the grave, just Because he was a kunt.

Other guy? I honestly can't remember now, what his problem was. But, anyway; bred these fukkers. Really thought very little about it, at the time. I bred things. Didn't we all? That's what it was all about.

That was me. Pick a target. Breed it. Write up how ye managed that. Release ye details to the world. Ensure everyone else could replicate what ye'd done. Pick a target.

Only, people started getting in touch with me. I was getting hits from around the world! Still got these two letters. Two, completely separate, Doctors. Polish. Writing to me, on paper, asking me how the fukk I did it.

Calling me " Dr " ~ because, obviously, no one below Their level of understanding could have pulled this shit off. Certainly not some uneducated alcoholic who watched salamanders fukking, on a table in his room.

I had to write back to these dudes. 'Sorry, guys. What I published is all I have ? The articles explain every step of the process. Spermatophore deposition to sale of grown on newts. I'm targetting something else now. Sorry I can't be more help.'

And, it Always seems to float back to me, at That time. " The Filter! The fukking Filter set them off!!! They thought they were back home! "

I want to write back to them; 'Doctors! Doctors, have ye cracked it? Did ye sit there, poring over what I'd written. Dissecting it. Taking apart my every word and recorded action? Did the penny, maybe, drop as Your guts did?

It was dropping them into my 'naturalised' tank. Fine gravel. Weeds. Small enough tank with that Filter, kicking out from One End!!!  I'd ~ quite inadvertently ~ replicated a fukking Stream!!! 

That's what it was! The, relatively strong, push from a submerged, laid down on its side Fluval. And, if these Doctors had spent as much time as I have, down the years; Sat there. Staring. Going over and over and Over exactly what I'd explained I did? Boosh! And, now? I can't help but wonder if they ever did spot the clue.

:) Now; I feel better for having got that off my chest! Really should go and dig those fukking letters out. Start searching the internet for those guys.

'Should'. But, all that shit's part of a past life now, really. Sure, I have my toad. My snapper. Now, my bullfrog. But, they're just pets. And I have some chickens due, any day now. More bucket list shit from a life time of pipe dreams.

Go and sort their perches out? Or chase the past ....?

Where's my screw driver ..... ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Pm me a few pics and I'll send them to my mate who runs a reptile house

Appreciated :good: I've been Trying to work with that book? Only, I have it on Kindle and, would ye believe? Every time it shows a photo? I see just that. The photo. Have to turn the page to get the " Zambian Type. Note the tiny, vague details we're pointing out. Now, flick back and realise ye've forgotten WTF this text was referring to! "

And that's what I do! Again and again! :wallbash: I just find it impossible to hold the mental image the text speaks of, then fiddle about getting the photo back up. FFS!  I'd be fukking useless at that game niggers play, with three cups?

Anyway ..... I'll slap the shots up here. Easier than messing around, hosting them elsewhere to PM them. Just steal them off here and show ye mate.

This is when I first got him. May. He was barely more than two inches long:

552303006_FresherFrog14-5-22.JPG.9d2b0367315d313dba99c6ae3a417d8b.JPG

And, here he is today. Like, I've literally just took these shots. Sorry I can't yet get the all important 'upper cut' shot. But, I'd be risking bodily harm to myself and, anyway, I'm not into stressing my frog out for anything. He wanted to turn his back on the camera. Sides of the tank are blinded off.

1709527846_Above.15-9-22.JPG.7ed2d3fafd2601138908478663e4e26e.JPG

Best I could manage of the profile / underneath that face. I'll try to get a more definitive one, if required.

1240554561_Frogicide15-9-22.JPG.13c28a4269f4410437ef922a5e555aad.JPG

I'd point out how his eye has only now developed that full eye bar. Until lately, he's had purely round eyes. The eye / ear ratio shit, I'll leave to ye man.

Side's also coloured up nicely now. Not sure what's going on underneath him.

Oh! He's 5 1/2" now :)

And set ups? I've used both. He's in 'Laboratory', right now. I like that, with bullfrogs. They're happy to sit. Most of their lives. Fukking sit there.

But, obviously, I have plans for this fukker. That's why I want a background photo. I want to make him his own 'Edge of the shallow pool' sort of thing. I'm scheming like fukk about it. Trouble is? I'll need an Artist next! I'll need the polystyrene 'Land' painted to blend in from the background.

Vegetation? Jesus god! Haven't even Thought that far yet! My mind's melting as it is! This shit's all I think about.

7 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:D Just looked at my own pictures. Just got to add; He's just fukking Great, isn't he?! :boogy: Love him!

I'll send the pics to my pal and maybe he might be able to tell you what type you got ,

He looks well cared for ,I sat watching my mate feed his horned toads and totally amazed me what they can swallow.  

6 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I sat watching my mate feed his horned toads and totally amazed me what they can swallow.  

:huh: Hang about! Ye've back footed me there. " Horned Toads " ? They, to me, have always been ... Yes, that's it! (DDGd them) Those fantastic, spiky little things. Think it was at the end of " Shane " where he swaps his Dog for one with that kiddie?

But, don't those little fukkers eat ants? It was always a pipe dream of mine, to keep those (Probably next to my pipe Gilla Monsters too, eh? :rolleyes:)

But, like the dendrobates, back then; How the hell was one gonna Feed them?! ~ And before some millennial, tit raised on googles milk, pipes up and a says, " Durrr; Fruit Flies, Boomer! " ? I'll tell ye a story about Those fukking things some time! Fruit flies. Not millennials.

Anyway, where were we?

Ah. Yes. Would ye mean Ceratophrys? What I always knew as 'Horned Frogs'. Millennials call " Pacman Frogs " (Fukking wonder they even Remember 'Pacman', isn't it?) Eat pretty much anything that gets within range, they will. Weren't we discussing frogs eating shit, earlier?

Anyway. Yes. Forgive me; I've had a very 'interesting' few days here. With any luck though, we should be on the up and up, by tomorrow! :D My Liege; I bear news!!! :laugh:

Yeah. Fukking head's thumping here. But, now? I'm having happy thoughts. Shit's moving, and in the Right direction! :good: Still got a fukking headache, mind you!

See ye tomorrow? :)