One for the pot

I visited my uncul at the weekend and we got chatting about lurchers and he asked me to put this post up ,

How many have had to go out and take something for the pot or go without ,I'm not on about hobby hunting when it don't matter if the night ,day is a blank as you got fridge full of grub but when you got f all and if you dont catch you don't eat ,he said he's sure they be few old lads who remember hard times and od younger one but mostly lads would be running a juk just for sport ,

• Like 3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only in the winter of the miners strike when me and the wife and a two year old only got 20 pound a week to live on every rabbit hare pheasant partridge counted not so much to eat but to sell i also t

I well remember working on a trout farm back in 1985. Farm went bankrupt mid November,  we was out of work being owed a month's wages, Christmas coming up, no jobs about and a wife and 1 Yr old to car

I can't remember HAVING to catch something to eat because there was nothing in the 'fridge, but I can remember not having a 'fridge.....or a 'phone, or a telly ? I know when times were a little t

Posted Images

I can't remember HAVING to catch something to eat because there was nothing in the 'fridge, but I can remember not having a 'fridge.....or a 'phone, or a telly ?

I know when times were a little tough, we would sell rabbits around the pubs and clubs, there was allways a market for them back then, or we would steal a box of fish or crabs from the fish quay to sell, but it was never because we were starving, it was for our beer money or to put petrol in the old van.

I still eat most of what I catch or give it away. I like cooking and eating game, and it fits in with my hobby, sport, passion, call it what you will, and saves me a bob or two ! ?? !

Cheers.

• Like 18
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

Only in the winter of the miners strike when me and the wife and a two year old only got 20 pound a week to live on every rabbit hare pheasant partridge counted not so much to eat but to sell i also took risks poaching that i would have never done if it was not for being on strike i was also very fortunate in having two good pot filling lurchers at the time a mix of beddy/grey/collie/grey.

20190214_115245~2.jpg

The pit strikes made times hard for a lot of familys ,my uncul was out poaching when me grandad got called up in 2 war,he left me gran and 7 kids with no income so it fell on his shoulders to feed the family and what they didn't eat was sold ,

Great pic ? 

• Like 4

remember many a time, when i was  growing up in very poor conditions, in real poverty,we always relied on our  lurchers and ferrets to feed usand close family, always told never to come off the land emty handed, whether it was rabbits, hares, game birds, timber , black berries, or field mushrooms, it was taken and used , just to survive, all our cooking was done on a fire, and water from a well,always remember christmas, when we used to get a few rabbits for dinner, lurchers would snaffle a farmers  goose or chicken, and we come off the land with spuds and all the veg that grew in the fields round us, local farmers turned a blind eye, cause they knew us, remember selling rabbits for 50p early 70s, had bugger all, but certainly learnt  how to survive, didnt need supermarkets and butchers, could always get something for the pot, youth of today dont know there born, but times are changing and not for the better.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Only in the winter of the miners strike when me and the wife and a two year old only got 20 pound a week to live on every rabbit hare pheasant partridge counted not so much to eat but to sell i also took risks poaching that i would have never done if it was not for being on strike i was also very fortunate in having two good pot filling lurchers at the time a mix of beddy/grey/collie/grey.

20190214_115245~2.jpg

great picture ?. I was 18 during the strike, father on strike as well. poached more to sell rather than eat. Good market for it then. few of us used to syphon petrol so we could get to the good ground in Lincolnshire. always took from works vans I don't regret any of it. 

• Like 7

I do remember my cousin being on strike in 1984,  he said if they weren't on the picket line, they were in the field, at the allotment, or on the river bank.  He said some people ate rabbit so often they haven't eaten it since the end of the strike. 

Cheers. Aled

• Like 6
4 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

20190214_115245~2.jpg

Good on you, you done the right thing and you was a part of our history being a part of the miners struggle.

I am on strike on and off at the moment nothing what so ever in comparison to what you miners and families went through but I would resort to eating dirt before crossing any picket line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
48 minutes ago, grompz said:

remember many a time, when i was  growing up in very poor conditions, in real poverty,we always relied on our  lurchers and ferrets to feed usand close family, always told never to come off the land emty handed, whether it was rabbits, hares, game birds, timber , black berries, or field mushrooms, it was taken and used , just to survive, all our cooking was done on a fire, and water from a well,always remember christmas, when we used to get a few rabbits for dinner, lurchers would snaffle a farmers  goose or chicken, and we come off the land with spuds and all the veg that grew in the fields round us, local farmers turned a blind eye, cause they knew us, remember selling rabbits for 50p early 70s, had bugger all, but certainly learnt  how to survive, didnt need supermarkets and butchers, could always get something for the pot, youth of today dont know there born, but times are changing and not for the better.

Sounds familiar, we lived on rabbits ,hare and kaneys  and what we called the good times was fruit picking we'd all be in the fields or orchards picking as a family ,times was hard back then ,I couldn't imagine a 6 year old today having to graft along side there parents or having to learn to snaffle something for the pot ,it was hard but looking back it was the best of times ,

• Like 1

like the old saying as long as you got  a lurcher built for speed and you know your field craft, you will not starve, lots of folk going to find surving hard this winter, buta lot of us hunting lads, are born survivors.

• Like 2
Just now, grompz said:

like the old saying as long as you got  a lurcher built for speed and you know your field craft, you will not starve, lots of folk going to find surving hard this winter, buta lot of us hunting lads, are born survivors.

agree mate and I think it's sod's law it will be a long hard winter with plenty of snow 

• Like 1