Y'all and dogs

Just now, Gypsydog94 said:

Sounds boring as feck ? obviously ain’t to good for hounds either lads gone out there soon come back over. 

Mate, I kid you not, I have seen 1 rabbit in 7 years !

And that was only because I spotted his tail flash from about 200 yds…..the place I was at, the bloke used to keep greyhound and I said to him “f**k me, I just see a rabbit down there” and he said “Yeah, I brought them with me from up north to help train the dogs”

The most wild ground dwelling things I have seen is pine marten and mink…..but they are protected ! 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man idk what's with you honestly. Yes is polar opposite hence why I'm curious and asking I'm trying to expand my knowledge my guy.  So yes I will show my confusion I will say what think. That's how yo

There’s nothing wrong with wanting the best of things imho mate, I like good kit for anything I do and that extended to not wanting an absolute article at the end of a slip (and believe me, I have had

By far and large yes. But equally that type know f**k all about breeding really, and their interest in blood is superficial, beginning and ending with a bit of paper with some red on it. The lads that

Posted Images

I've never had what people would consider a "good dog " always been happy with the little knockabout things I've had ,some of the lads have kindly offered me amazingly well bred things in the past,but I wouldn't have done them justice ,,I am happy with what I have had and what I do .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, bird said:

thanks mate  ? , hope me next lurcher , if i get another, will be as good has him, i am 70 now , maybe to old for another lurcher pup , when the big lad gone.! 

definitely get one mate....men who stop doing things...die..

whatever it is in life that you enjoy and gets you out and about keep doing it...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TOMO said:

loads round Stansted...drove down the m 11...2 week ago...counted 11 carcasses in one stretch about 2 mile in length ...just in the central reservation going south...not just fallow mind ..munty and Roe...

came back up a few days later after staying in Kent ...same stretch in the dark ..a herd of fallow feeding on the vegetation just a foot away from the hard shoulder on the banking...

Most fallow I ever see mate was about 70 on one field in North Essex one night.

Munty clean my father in laws allotment out about 3 times a week ! Lol 

Another place we used to visit, a mates permission and the the first time we went he said “Choose your Hares”…..I thought he was joking but sure enough when we got there, there’s 50 hares sitting on one field in amongst about 20 fallow !!……the dog didn’t have a clue what to do. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Most fallow I ever see mate was about 70 on one field in North Essex one night.

Munty clean my father in laws allotment out about 3 times a week ! Lol 

Another place we used to visit, a mates permission and the the first time we went he said “Choose your Hares”…..I thought he was joking but sure enough when we got there, there’s 50 hares sitting on one field in amongst about 20 fallow !!……the dog didn’t have a clue what to do. 

sure is an eye opener going to places like that...

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

@TOMO You ever driven round Woburn Abbey at night ?……nights like that make your mouth water mate

no mate never been down there hunting....I used to take rabbits to Whipsnade...there was always plenty of munty down there ...but that was daytime

2 minutes ago, TOMO said:

sure is an eye opener going to places like that...

You and I know a lad who’s name we ain’t mention who’s dog accounted for around 600 deer in its life time, and the dog he bred off that was better ! 

If you killed 600 deer in Ireland there would be none left ! Lol ? 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, TOMO said:

no mate never been down there hunting....I used to take rabbits to Whipsnade...there was always plenty of munty down there ...but that was daytime

Daytime fallow is a blast, daytime anything is a blast.

Theres a chapter in Dogs & Deer about a great day a team of us had out with a little mongrel pack of yappers beating woods and setting ambushes…..genuinely one the great hunting experiences of my life that day.

We had builders watching us from scaffolding and cheering the dogs on ! Lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Daytime fallow is a blast, daytime anything is a blast.

Theres a chapter in Dogs & Deer about a great day a team of us had out with a little mongrel pack of yappers beating woods and setting ambushes…..genuinely one the great hunting experiences of my life that day.

We had builders watching us from scaffolding and cheering the dogs on ! Lol 

Take a day pushing cover daytime over lamping every time! 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Take a day pushing cover daytime over lamping every time! 

Everything is good and everything is different mate, daytime is great but nighttime in the wilds of Scotland is also great….same as sitting in a ditch by the sea at 6am on a freezing Scottish morning while 50,000 pink foot fly over head is good.

All these experiences are unique and special and I have been very lucky to experience them.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Was going to say if he’s the best you had in 35 years that not a good place to finish? By all accounts get another but don’t expect to much from it? 

yeh mate, i know what you mean, it bad move for any new pup to compare to your old dog. but suppose now i am older , and not so mad headed lol ,  i prob be bit more easy with it. With Buck i was out lamping with him 2  nights a week, rest 1 day, then he up for it again next night?, this was long hard nights, with lot of runs , out in the day mooching, getting foxes, birds, rabbits, so he deff seen bit o action , but he old now  he slowed down , but if seen a cat of fox  he come to life  lol , pity  they have to get old mate .

• Like 1

Never really seen deer as a ultimate test for a lurcher,running wise maybe,but not grit,they don't bite back,the dog just needs to catch an to hold it down lol

Not my cup of tea unless I had to feed myself or my family,but fairplay to the lads that do it.

Wilf have you been out with the lamp in your area?is it quite rocky in your area?

• Like 1
Just now, Francie said:

Never really seen deer as a ultimate test for a lurcher,running wise maybe,but not grit,they don't bite back,the dog just needs to catch an to hold it down lol

Don’t bite back but getting kicked about must hurt more then a bite lol